Further Resources: Omphale
- Read the story of how Hercules was sold to Omphale, as told by Apollodorus.
- Find out more about slavery in ancient Greece.
- Browse the catalog entries and see more pictures of the Berlin vase with the athlete and his slave boy, or of the Dewing electrum coin minted at Sardis.
- Look at the Sophocles quote on slavery or the Plutarch quote on peace in Lydia in context.
- See site catalog entries, including descriptions and pictures, of sites in Ionia.
- Browse a list of references to the kingdom of Lydia or to its capital, Sardis, in the Perseus encyclopedia.
- Read about the wealth of Croesus, and his offerings at Delphi.
- Find out more about practices the Greeks adopted from Near Eastern kingdoms like Lydia, including the use of coins.
Go back to the Omphale page.
This exhibit is a subset of materials from the Perseus Project and is copyrighted. Please send us your comments.