|Title:||Seated Goddess from Tarentum|
|Findspot:||Found at Taras|
|Summary:||Goddess (Persephone?) seated in elaborate throne|
|Sculpture Type:||Free-standing statue|
|Original or Copy:||Original|
|Date:||ca. 480 BC|
|Dimensions:||H 1.51m, H of face 0.18 m, H of head and neck 0.33 m, H of base 0.06 m, Base 0.90 X 0.70 m, H of throne 1.245, W of throne 0.69 m|
Subject Description: The goddess sits on an impressive throne, resting her feet on a high footstool. She wears a himation draped diagonally across her chest, over a thin chiton, with long, buttoned sleeves. Her hair is arranged in braids that part from the center of her head, and cascade over each shoulder and down her back. A sakkos and stephane cover the top of her head. She holds both arms forward; as the hands are both missing, it is indeterminate what objects she may have held. Metal attachments would have decorated her stephane as well as her ears (a hole for an earring is present in her left ear).
Condition: Nearly complete
Condition Description: Preserved mainly in one large piece, with a number of joining fragments. Missing: surface from the right side of the face, both hands, toes of left foot, proper right corner of back of throne as well as left forward corner, much of legs and part of footrest.
Material Description: Parian marble (Blümel
Collection History: According to Zancani-Montuoro, this piece was found by workmen in Tarentum (ancient Taras) where the Via Principe Amedeo crosses the Via Leonida. It came onto the market in Paris in 1914 and was acquired in 1915 by the Berlin Museum. In 1925 eight additional fragments belonging to the throne were acquired from the same dealer.