Girl with Offering, right profile

Girl with Offering, from right

Girl with Offering, detail of legs: from left

Girl with Offering, from left

Girl with Offering, detail of legs: from back left

Girl with Offering, back view

Collection: Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
Title: Girl with Offering
Context: Probably from Corinth
Findspot: Said to be found at Corinth
Summary: Statuette of a girl holding an offering tray
Object Function: Votive
Material: Bronze
Sculpture Type: Free-standing statue?
Category: Single sculpture?
Style: High Classical
Technique: Solid cast
Original or Copy: Original
Date: ca. 450 BC
Dimensions:

H 0.13 m

Scale: Miniature
Region: Corinthia
Period: High Classical


Subject Description:

A young woman, advancing slightly (with her left foot forward), holds a tray of cakes and fruit at waist level, in both hands. She is dressed in a thick chiton, belted at the waist, and pinned at the shoulders, which was originally decorated around the neckline. Her long curly hair is arranged in locks falling down her back; it is bound in a studded stephane (or hairband) on the crown of her head. Her posture is uncertain, and she looks straight ahead, slightly down, perhaps an indication of her servile status.

Form & Style:

There is an attachment hole, in the lower rear of the girl's garment.

Langlotz suggested that this figurine was created by a school of sculptors at Kleonai; Lippold and Neugebauer rather thought she was created by a school at Argos, associated with the Argive Heraion (Lippold compared her to the head of a type found commonly at that site).

Condition: Intact

Condition Description:

Surface has green patina, with some whitish-tan incrustations and traces of gilding around the neckline.

Collection History: E.P. Warren Collection. Acquired by the MFA in 1898.

Sources Used: Comstock & Vermeule 1971, no. 55

Other Bibliography:

Ortiz 1994, under no. 142; M. Guggisberg, BCH 112 (1988) 197; K.D. Shapiro-Lapatin, AJA 92 (1988) 514 n. 12; T├Âlle-Kastenbein 1986, 49, 68; M.A. Minutola, Dialoghi di Archeologica 9-10 (1976-1977) 411 n. 34; E. Walter-Karydi, JdI 91 (1976) 11 n. 20 (cat. no. 455); E. La Rocca, Annuario 50-51 (1972-1973) 426-27; Arnold 1969, 82 n. 308; Fuchs 1969, 185-86, figs. 195-96; Neugebauer 1951, 37; Lippold 1950, 170; Langlotz 1927, 68, pl. 8