Image access restricted
Temple of Zeus Lepsynus (2nd Century C.E.), Euromos.

Image access restricted
View of fortifications, Euromos.

Detail of column base (2nd column from S end of W side) in Temple of Zeus,...

Image access restricted
Carian red stone at the Temple of Zeus Lepsynus, Euromos.

South cella wall of Temple of Zeus, from SW, Euromos

Altar in front of Temple of Zeus, from S, Euromos

Summary: A minor city with one of the best preserved temples in Anatolia.
Type: Fortified city
Region: Caria







Located ca. 20 km SE of Lake Bafa and ca. 12 km N of ancient Mylasa, Euromos stood on flat ground, encircled by a wall of Classical to Hellenistic date. The city had a theater and a rectangular agora with colonnaded stoas on each side. Just outside the city walls, to the S is the sanctuary and temple of Zeus, one of the best preserved temples in Turkey. The present temple, which is at least the 3rd built on that location is in the Corinthian style and dates to the 2nd century A.D., but it was never completed. The temenos itself dates back to as early as the 6th century B.C.


A Carian city, originally known as Kyromos or Hyromos, it acquired the Hellenic name Euromos in the 4th century B.C. In its earlier history the city was independent and was of some size and importance, but it was overshadowed by the nearby city of Mylasa.

Euromos was a member of the Delian League in the mid 5th century B.C. and seems to have remained independent until ca. 167 B.C. when Mylasa revolted from Rhodian control and asserted power over Euromos territory. Euromos then formed alliances with Rome, Rhodes, and Iasos and prospered during the Hellenistic and Roman periods.


Small scale excavations began in 1969 and are continuing.

Sources Used:

McDonagh 1989, 321-323; Bean 1971, 45-48; Freely 1990, 93-94

Other Bibliography:

R. Chandler, Travels in Asia Minor (1817) (3rd ed) 226-27. C. Fellows, Asia Minor (1839) 261-62. L. Robert, Villes d'Asie Mineure (1935) 59. A. Laumonier, Cultes Indigènes en Carie (1958)164-174.