|Title:||Eirene and Ploutos|
|Context:||Probably from Rome|
|Findspot:||Found at Appia Antica, Villa dei Quintili|
|Summary:||Eirene with the infant Ploutos|
|Sculpture Type:||Free-standing statue|
|Original or Copy:||Copy|
|Original:||Eirene and Ploutos type|
|Date:||ca. 375 BC - ca. 360 BC|
H (incl. plinth) 2.06 m; H (figure) 2.01 m; W 0.70 m; D (max., at kolpos) 0.48 m; H (face, chin to hairband) 0.215 m.
Eirene standing nearly frontal, with her weight on her left leg, and her right leg relaxed, wearing a peplos, a himation draped over both shoulders (seemingly attached where peplos is fastened), long hair, some rolled around a taenia, ampyx revealing itself at front, earrings (metal attachments?), and thick-soled sandals, turns her head to a 3/4-view, tilted down, to look at the baby Ploutos, cradled in her left arm, along with the keras; Ploutos, seated 3/4-view to the left, wearing a himation draped over his knees, lower legs, and thighs where he sits on the arm of Eirene, legs crossed, with his head shown in 3/4-back-view to the left, tilted up to look at Eirene, reaches his right arm up to Eirene, and his left arm down at his side.
Condition: Nearly complete
Restored from one large and many small fragments, preserving all of 2-figure group except for the right arm of Eirene (broken at shoulder, and plastered over), left hand of Eirene (broken off at her wrist) and left thigh of Ploutos: now a rounded surface smoothed with modern plaster and chisel-tooth marks [presumably from modern restoration]); missing two of Eirene's toes (largest and smallest) on right foot, nose, and one ringlet on left shoulder, a well as most of plinth (sawed off in angular fashion around hem of Eirene).
White, medium-grained marble
Collection History: Formerly in the Villa Albani. Brought to Paris after 1798. Acquired for the Glyptothek in 1815.