|Collection:||University Museum, University of Pennsylvania|
|Summary:||Body divided into zones and decorative bands.|
|Context:||Excavated at Vulci|
|Date:||ca. 625 BC|
H. 0.273 m., D. 0.165 m., D. rim 0.150 m., D. foot 0.094 m.
The surface is covered with small chips but shows little wear of the glaze.
The body is almost entirely covered by glaze, with the exception of a reserved zone decorated with black rays above the foot and the edge of the rim. The zones of black glaze on the body are delineated by fine horizontal lines in added purple bordered by white. The shoulder is separated from the neck by a fine raised band. Below this band on the shoulder is an incised tongue pattern. The tongues beside the lower handle attachment are painted white, three to one side, two to the other. The other tongues are alternately painted purple, black or yellow in sets of threes. Three rotelles decorated with white dot rosettes are placed where the handle is attached to the rim of the vase.
The vase was recovered in 1896-1897 in excavations at Vulci sponsored by the American Exploration Society. The olpe subsequently became part of the collection of the University Museum, Philadelphia. Funding for the museum's contribution to the excavations came from Mrs. Phoebe A. Hearst.