|Summary:||The Roman theater, which originated in the Augustan period but was rebuilt and expanded several times, was located just within the city walls in the northeast corner of the colonial city. The amphitheater was later built to the northeast of the theater.|
|Date:||ca. 27 AD - ca. 25 AD|
|Dimensions:||Diam. 102 m; seating capacity 12,000|
Plan: The theater is aligned with the original city grid and its scaenae frons is aligned with a prominent north-south street (cardo). The cavea, or seating area, is supported by a series of radiating arches, most of which have been reconstructed. It was originally constructed with a 27-arch portico, consisting of three levels of arcades, which are preserved at two points, one of which is the so-called "Tower of Roland".
Date Description: The Augustan date is based on the discovery of a colossal statue of Augustus near the stage.
History: The stones from this theater were quarried thoroughly in the 5 c. A.C. (during construction of Christian churches) and the building was reused as a fortress in the 9th c., after which time it was overlaid with gardens and private dwellings. The theater was discovered in the 17th century and excavations were conducted from 1827 to 1855.
Two columns of the scaenae frons and part of the architrave remain, along with many fragments of the postscaenium and the parascaenia. The opus sectile floor of the orchestra is well preserved.
Three altars, some statues such as the