hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
George P. Rowell and Company's American Newspaper Directory, containing accurate lists of all the newspapers and periodicals published in the United States and territories, and the dominion of Canada, and British Colonies of North America., together with a description of the towns and cities in which they are published. (ed. George P. Rowell and company) 1,094 1,094 Browse Search
Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 11. (ed. Frank Moore) 47 47 Browse Search
Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 5. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones) 36 36 Browse Search
Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 10. (ed. Frank Moore) 36 36 Browse Search
Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 4. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones) 35 35 Browse Search
The Annals of the Civil War Written by Leading Participants North and South (ed. Alexander Kelly McClure) 32 32 Browse Search
Robert Underwood Johnson, Clarence Clough Buell, Battles and Leaders of the Civil War. Volume 3. 27 27 Browse Search
Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 6. (ed. Frank Moore) 26 26 Browse Search
Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 9. (ed. Frank Moore) 20 20 Browse Search
The Atlanta (Georgia) Campaign: May 1 - September 8, 1864., Part I: General Report. (ed. Maj. George B. Davis, Mr. Leslie J. Perry, Mr. Joseph W. Kirkley) 19 19 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Browsing named entities in Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 4. (ed. Frank Moore). You can also browse the collection for 2nd or search for 2nd in all documents.

Your search returned 14 results in 10 document sections:

Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 4. (ed. Frank Moore), Doc. 2.-fight at Port Royal, S. C. January 1, 1862. (search)
protect the boats and steamer in which our troops had crossed, and superintend their removal to the ferry, which was accomplished about midnight. At sunrise we reembarked our boat-guns. At thirty minutes past nine o'clock on the morning of the 2d, the enemy again appearing in the wood, we opened a hot fire of shot and shells from the Ottawa, Seneca, Pembina, Ellen, and Hale, and after firing briskly for a time slackened the fire so as to drop a shot or shell into the woods about once a minu must have been large, or he would not have deemed it necessary to make the request. Some four or five bodies of the rebels were found and interred by our troops, and many more fragments of bodies seen lying on the fields. In the morning of the 2d, Gen. Stevens recrossed his troops at Port Royal Ferry; the gunboats opening a heavy cannonade, so that the operation should not be disturbed. The troops were all taken across in two hours and a half, and, as the number of flats was not greater th
were destroyed. Some were smoking when we passed. The roads the first day were in splendid order, but much obstructed by trees, which were, however, speedily removed by two companies of mechanics and engineers, who swung their axes with a will, and we were never stopped over fifteen minutes by them. The ponds along the road were filled with dead horses and cattle, as long as any cattle were to be found to fill them. We rested at noon at Cave City, which was very nearly destroyed. On the second day, we started for Bowling Green. The next morning was cold, with about an inch and a half of snow; but we were up betimes and on our way, the Nineteenth Illinois ahead as usual, with her blue flag waving triumphantly. Our road was obstructed, and was filled with signs of the rapid retreat of Hindman's forces. We pushed on vigorously, and made the miles rapidly disappear. Hearing repeatedly that the railroad bridge was destroyed, and that the confederates would now stand this side of
lry, which I will strengthen immediately. George W. Cullum, Brigadier-General, Chief of Staff. Flag-office Foote's report. Columbus, Ky., Tuesday, March 4, 1862. sir: Columbus is in our possession. My armed reconnoissance on the second instant caused a hasty evacuation, the rebels leaving quite a number of guns and carriages, ammunition and stores, a large quantity of shot and shell, a considerable number of anchors, and the remnant of chain lately stretched across the river, with d the Cincinnati, commanded by the gallant Commander Stemble. Gen. Sherman remains temporarily in command at Columbus. [Signed] A. H. Foote, Flag-Officer. Cincinnati Gazette account. Columbus, Ky., March 4. In my letter of the second instant, I stated that Columbus had been evacuated and burned by the rebels. This assertion was based upon observations made by the officers of the gunboats Cincinnati and Pittsburgh--the two vessels engaged in the reconnoissances of Sunday last. S
he pleasure to inform you that I am in full possession of Cumberland Island and Sound, of Fernandina and Amelia Island, and of the river and town of St. Mary's. I sailed from Port Royal on the last day of February, in the Wabash, and on the second inst. entered Cumberland Sound, by St. Andrew's Inlet, in the Mohican, Com. S. W. Godon, on board of which ship I have hoisted my flag. The fleet comprised the following vessels, sailing in the order in which they are named: Ottawa, Mohican, acc Reynolds, and the transports Empire City, Marion, Star of the South, Belvidere, Boston, George's Creek, containing a brigade, under the command of Brig.-Gen. Wright. We came to anchor in Cumberland Sound at half-past 10, on the morning of the second, to make an examination of the channel, and wait for the tide. Here I learned from a contraband, who had been picked up at sea by Com. Lanier, and from the neighboring residents on Cumberland Island, that the rebels had abandoned in haste the
ands that rise perpendicularly thirty feet from the water, the rebels had cleared away a considerable space, and commenced to erect a battery and barracks for troops. The location is a splendid one, and could readily be converted into a miniature Gibraltar, but their force was insufficient for the work, and it was abandoned after mounting a gun or two, and partially completing the quarters. Four guns were brought hither by the Darlington, (rebel steamer captured near Fernandina,) on the second inst., from Fort Clinch. Some are said to have been submerged at the foot of the bluff. How true it is, we know not. Passing this point, we continued on up the stream, and were everywhere greeted with cheers or waving of handkerchiefs. Men, women, and children, of all colors, turned out en masse, and gave us a grand and unexpected ovation. From almost all the houses white flags were displayed, and in some instances waved by the ladies. Very few residences, and those the property of rabid s
ly of fine physical and moral constitution, and disciplined by a long course of arduous and trying service. They were well appointed and equipped in all points, and were led by officers of experience and tried merit. The army landed at Commerce, on the twenty-fourth day of February, and on the twenty-eighth took up their line of march toward New-Madrid, where the rebels were reported to be fortified in considerable force. Up to this time no incident of importance had occurred. On the second day after leaving Commerce, however, the advance guard reached Hunter's farm, a place of some notoriety in connection with rebel operations in this section, and learned that the notorious Jeff. Thompson had just left there, having been for several days in the neigh-borhood with a force of cavalry for the purpose of watching, and if possible, obstructing the movements of our forces. On learning the approach of our troops he had, as usual, fled, and although immediate chase was given, he coul
t city. I enclose the report of Com. Gillis, and also memoranda of information given by a contraband, which may be of some interest to the Department. Very respectfully, your obedient servant, S. F. Du Pont, Flag-Officer Commanding South-Atlantic Blockading Squadron. Hon. Gideon Welles, Secretary of the Navy. Commander Gillis's reports. United States steamer Seminole, abreast Skidaway battery, Wilmington River, Ga., March 25, 1862. sir: In obedience to your order dated second inst., we proceeded from Cumberland Sound to Warsaw Sound, Ga., to blockade, as directed. Having waited some days for weather to settle and wind to lull, we this afternoon felt our way with the lead up the narrow channel of Wilmington River, to the battery on Skidaway Island, accompanied by the Norwich, Lieutenant Commanding J. M. Duncan, and Wyandotte, Lieut. Commanding W. D. Whiting. I sent our launch, with howitzer and crew, under charge of Master McNair and Acting Master Steel, alongs
Very respectfully, your obedient servant, M. M. Trumbull, Capt. Third Iowa Infantry, Comd'g Regiment. Gen. Beauregard's (rebel) report. headquarters of the army of the Mississippi, Corinth, Miss., April 11, 1862. General: On the second ultimo, having ascertained conclusively, from the movements of the enemy on the Tennessee River, and from reliable sources of information, that his aim would be to cut off my communications in West-Tennessee with the Eastern and Southern States, by n. Want of proper officers, needful for the proper organization of divisions and brigades of an army brought thus suddenly together, and other difficulties in the way of an effective organization, delayed the movement until the night of the second inst., when it was heard from a reliable quarter that the junction of the enemy's armies was near at hand. It was then, at a late hour, determined that the attack should be attempted at once, incomplete and imperfect as were our preparations for su
st our pickets guarded all the other avenues to the camp. For the purpose of reconnoitring the country toward the Indian territory, and to detain the rebels of. South--west Missouri from following Price's army by the State-line road, Major Conrad, with five select companies of infantry, sixty men of cavalry, and two pieces of Woelfley's battery, was ordered to proceed on the first day to Lindsey's prairie, where he arrived in the evening, sixteen miles south-west of McKisick's farm, on the second, (the fifth,) to Maysville, and to return on the third day to our own camp. Such was our position on the evening of the fifth, when I received orders from you to send a detachment of cavalry to Pineville, where there were said to be some two or three hundred rebels, who disturbed and endangered the Union people of McDonald County. I directed Major Mezaros, with eighty men, to march at ten o'clock P. M., on the north-western road to Pineville, whilst Capt. V. Rilmansegge was sent to Major
Lieut. Irwin upon that honorable duty. I spent the first day of the bombardment in the trenches with Gen. Hunter, and in visiting the different batteries, which I caused to be visited by several of our officers and men, that they might profit by the experience to be acquired. The bombardment began at eight o'clock A. M on the tenth, and continued during the day. At first, while procuring the ranges, it was somewhat inaccurate, many of the artillerists being quite untrained. On the second day, in spite of a high wind, the firing from the rifled guns and columbiads was excellent, the former boring into the brick face of the wall like augers, and the latter striking and breaking off great masses of masonry which had been cut loose by the rifles. The four upper batteries were about sixteen hundred yards distant from Fort Pulaski, and quite beyond the distance at which it has hitherto been held practicable to effect a breach, but it proved an easy breaching range with those wo