hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 9. (ed. Frank Moore) 102 102 Browse Search
The Atlanta (Georgia) Campaign: May 1 - September 8, 1864., Part I: General Report. (ed. Maj. George B. Davis, Mr. Leslie J. Perry, Mr. Joseph W. Kirkley) 46 46 Browse Search
Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 10. (ed. Frank Moore) 34 34 Browse Search
Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Chapter XXII: Operations in Kentucky, Tennessee, North Mississippi, North Alabama, and Southwest Virginia. March 4-June 10, 1862. (ed. Lieut. Col. Robert N. Scott) 34 34 Browse Search
Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 11. (ed. Frank Moore) 33 33 Browse Search
Maj. Jed. Hotchkiss, Confederate Military History, a library of Confederate States Military History: Volume 3, Virginia (ed. Clement Anselm Evans) 29 29 Browse Search
Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 5. (ed. Frank Moore) 27 27 Browse Search
The Annals of the Civil War Written by Leading Participants North and South (ed. Alexander Kelly McClure) 21 21 Browse Search
Robert Underwood Johnson, Clarence Clough Buell, Battles and Leaders of the Civil War. Volume 4. 20 20 Browse Search
Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 7. (ed. Frank Moore) 19 19 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Browsing named entities in Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 10. (ed. Frank Moore). You can also browse the collection for 9th or search for 9th in all documents.

Your search returned 34 results in 12 document sections:

1 2
e, to be for the term of five years. On the ninth, Mr. Wilson, from the Committee on Military Af, of Missouri, managers. In the House, on the ninth, Mr. Blair, from the committee of conference, dier to the pay due him at its date. On the ninth, the Senate resumed the consid eration of the time, and passed to a second reading. On the ninth, the Senate resumed the consideration of the bhe nature of a substitute. The Senate, on the ninth, proceeded to the consideration of the bill an. That amendment, and others agreed to on the ninth, were then rejected. On motion of Mr. Davis, ll was then passed without a division. On the ninth, the Senate, on motion of Mr. Wilson, concurreioner appointed by the district court. On the ninth, Mr. Davis spoke at great length in favor of h participated, the Senate adjourned. On the ninth, the Senate resumed the consideration of the bost — yeas, fifteen; nays, nineteen. On the ninth, the Senate proceeded to the consideration of [3 more...]
th Mississippi Regiment. Report of Colonel Fizer. headquarters Seventeenth Mississippi regiment, near Fredericksburg, Va., December 19, 1862. To John R. Barksdale, A. A. G.: Sir: I have the honor of submitting the following report of the action of the Seventeenth regiment Mississippi volunteers, while defending the passage of the Rappahannock, opposite the city of Fredericksburg, on the morning of the eleventh December, 1862: Being ordered to the city on picket duty on the ninth instant, I was ordered to dispose of my regiment so as to guard the river from the ferry to a point about three quarters of a mile below. I promptly made such disposition as I thought would check the enemy, if he attempted to force a passage at or between either point indicated. The line of pickets consisted of two wings, the right commanded by Captain A. G. Govan, and the left by Captain A. J. Pulliam. The reserve I stationed at or near the market-house. About eleven o'clock P. M. of the te
Atlantic squadron, off Newport News, Va, April 16, 1864. Sir: I have the honor to submit the following report in regard to the part taken by the navy in the recent combined army and navy expedition up the James and Nansemond Rivers: On the ninth instant I wrote to General Butler, suggesting that he send a sufficient force to clear the country in the vicinity of Smithfield and Chuckatuck of the guerilla parties known to be there, and to destroy the boats which it was supposed they had concealithfield on Sunday evening last, bound to Richmond. It is reported by the inhabitants, with several of whom, both white and black, I conversed, and their statements all agree, that the torpedo boat came to Smithfield on Saturday morning, the ninth instant, and left on Sunday evening for Richmond for repairs. As near as I could ascertain, she is a wooden boat, about thirty-five (35) feet long, and very narrow, has a propeller engine, low pressure, is covered with boiler iron, making her shot-p
xhibit his doubt, perplexity, and ignorance concerning the movements of this army. Baldwin was found to offer no advantages of a defensive character, and being badly provided with water, I determined to fall back upon this point, some twenty miles south, fifty-two miles from Corinth, and here to await the developments of the enemy's plans and movements. Accordingly, leaving Baldwin on the seventh, (see papers appended, marked H,) the main body of my forces was assembled here on the ninth instant, leaving all the approaches from Corinth carefully guarded by a competent force of cavalry under an efficient officer, who occupied a line fifteen miles north of this place. Supported by my general officers, I am doing all practicable to organize for defensive operations, whensoever any movement of the enemy may give the opportunity, which I anticipate as not remote. I feel authorized to say, by the evacuation, the plan of campaign of the enemy was utterly foiled, his delay of seve
Doc. 35.-capture of the Chesapeake. Lieut.-Commander Nickels's report. United States Steamer Ella and Anna, Boston, December 23, 1863. Sir: In accordance with Commodore Montgomery's order of the ninth instant, to proceed to sea and cruise in search of the pirate Chesapeake, we got under way at twenty minutes to one P. M., on the tenth instant, and proceeded to sea. Arrived at Eastport, Maine, on the twelfth instant, at nine A. M., having encountered head winds and thick weather, and left on the same day at ten A. M., with news that the Chesapeake was in Margaret's Bay, N. S. Arrived off Cross Island, the entrance to Margaret's Bay, at six P. M., on the thirteenth. The weather being so thick we could not enter, and we attempted to lay in sight of the light; but, thicker weather coming on, and a heavy blow from the southward, we could not make the land until two P. M. on the fifteenth instant, to the eastward of our port. Finding it impossible to get into Margaret's Bay
there at seven P. M., the battle being then over, and not even a fugitive enemy in sight. The following are copies of the letters herein referred to. Very respectfully, your obedient servant, G. K. Warren,, Major-General Volunteers. General Warren to Col. Bowers. Petersburg, April 22, 1865. To Colonel T. S. Bowers, A. G., Headquarters Armies of United States: Colonel: I beg leave to forward a copy of communication addressed to Headquarters Armies United States, on the ninth instant, with the request to be allowed to publish the same. This will relieve me and my friends from an unpleasant relation to the public, will answer many letters daily received, and will prevent my silence being an injury to me. I can then patiently await the investigation that I do not doubt will in due time be accorded to me. Very respectfully, your obedient servant, G. K. Warren, Major-General Volunteers. Request for an investigation. Petersburg, April 9, 1865. To Brigadier-G
ary. Before the order could be obeyed, a heavy cavalry force confronted him on the opposite side of the river, and the crossing was not attempted. On that night, however, they all retired from above Frior's Island, and at eleven A. M., on the ninth, from their works opposite that island. The city of Chattanooga was also evacuated the same morning, and the troops of General Wagner crossed over and occupied the city, a portion of Wilder's force crossing at Frior's Island, reconnoitring thoroughly the country opposite and towards Chattanooga. Colonel Minty was at once ordered down to cross and report to Colonel Wilder, while all the troops not already over were, on the night of the ninth, concentrated at Frior's Island, and on the morning of the tenth crossed by fording, which was accomplished within the space of six hours, without loss of life or material. The boats, although completed, were not required. I found in the Tennessee Valley an abundance of subsistence for my
of seamen, under Flag-Officer W. F. Lynch, arrived from Wilmington, and, on the ninth, temporarily relieved the artillerists in charge of the Cummins' Point battery.f the enemy's fleet consisted only in supply and repair. Toward evening of the ninth, a raft, apparently for removing torpedoes or obstructions, was towed inside ofupon an examination in company with myself of those works on the eighth and ninth instant. The fire of the enemy was directed chiefly against Fort Sumter, at a diition of troops ordered by the commanding General for reinforcements. On the ninth, the enemy landed a strong force on Battery Island and unmasked works on LittlePresident. In connection, however, with this relation of events, between the ninth and nineteenth ultimo, I beg to call attention to my letters to the Secretary oup the cannonade until near five o'clock on the morning of the ninth. On the ninth operations were continued, the enemy being greatly annoyed by our sharp-shooter
way out, and that I hoped to attack the enemy about the seventh. On the fifth, however, we learned the fall of Vicksburg, and, therefore, fell back to Jackson. The army reached Jackson the evening of the seventh, and on the morning of the ninth, the enemy appeared in heavy force in front of the works thrown up for the defence of the place. These, consisting of a line of rifle-pits, prepared at intervals for artillery, extended from a point north of the town, a little east of the Canton Colonel J. L. Logan, commanding a mounted force around Port Hudson, reported three successful engagements with detachments of the enemy. On the twelfth of July I received information, from Colonel Logan, of the surrender of Port Hudson on the ninth; subsequently the report of Major Jackson, A. A. G., was received, informing me of the surrender. That officer stated that provision was exhausted, and that the position of the enemy rendered it impossible for the garrison to cut its way out; bu
to send two of the brigades of Cheatham's division to Tyner's by railroad on the fifth, and the remaining two on the sixth, and immediately thereafter to send the two brigades of my own division. On the eighth instant I received orders from the commanding General to leave Brigadier-General Cumming to bring on my division, and report in person at army headquarters as soon as possible after the arrival of Lieutenant-General Longstreet at Sweetwater. He reached that point on the night of the ninth, and, as directed, I left Sweetwater on the morning of the tenth, arriving at Tyner's upon the same day. I am, Colonel, respectfully, Your obedient servant, C. S. Stevenson, Major-General, commanding. Report of Colonel Morrison. Headquarters cavalry forces, Owen's, near Sweetwater, Tennessee, October 27, 1863. Major J. J. Reeves. A. A. G.: Major: I have the honor to report that, agreeably to instructions from General Stevenson, I succeeded in getting my entire command, num
1 2