Browsing named entities in Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 10. (ed. Frank Moore). You can also browse the collection for 11th or search for 11th in all documents.

Your search returned 46 results in 8 document sections:

y-two. The bill passed the Senate. On the eleventh, a message was sent to the House, on motion ovolunteer bill, and it was postponed. On the eleventh, Mr. Polk resumed and concluded his speech aged without a division. In the Senate, on the eleventh, on motion of Mr. Wilson, the Senate disagreessed without a division. The House, on the eleventh, referred the bill to the Military Committee,istence of the rebellion. The Senate, on the eleventh, proceeded to the consideration of the bill, read and passed to a second reading. On the eleventh, the Senate, on motion of Mr. Wilson, proceeded, reported it back with amendments. On the eleventh, on motion of Mr. Wilson, the Senate proceede of loyal men only shall be paid for. On the eleventh, the House resumed the consideration of the bparticipated, the report was agreed to on the eleventh. The House accepted the report on the thirty-five; nays, none. In the Senate, on the eleventh, Mr. Wilson, from the Committee on Military A[1 more...]
Wilcox's brigades. In the afternoon of the eleventh, Ransom's division having been placed betweenin the city. About two o'clock A. M., on the eleventh, General Barksdale sent me word that the moveer and present camp. On the morning of the eleventh, when the enemy opened his batteries upon the Fredericksburg: On the morning of the eleventh instant, at five o'clock, the brigade was put und. Captain: Early on the morning of the eleventh instant, the brigade, under the command of Generathe recent hostilities: At dawn on the eleventh instant, on the firing of the signal guns, I moveas the signal guns, on the morning of the eleventh instant, announced the advance of the enemy, I mobout five o'clock A. M. of the morning of the eleventh, General Barksdale came to me, at the ferry nng the signal guns, on the morning of the eleventh instant, I formed my regiment, about four o'clock about five o'clock on the morning of the eleventh instant, to the market-house in Fredericksburg, w[16 more...]
brigade, Chickamauga, September 24, 1863. Major A. R. H. Ransom, A. A. A. G. Pegram's Division of Cavalry: Major: In accordance with orders from Brigadier-General Pegram, I herewith forward my report of the operations of this brigade during the recent active operations of this army. After covering the evacuation of East Tennessee, and removing all stores on the lines of railroad as far as Ringgold, Georgia, I reported to General Pegram, on the Chattanooga and Lafayette road. On the eleventh instant, under orders from General Forrest, I proceeded to Ringgold, where I encountered the advance of the enemy, General Crittenden's corps, and, after a sharp skirmish, fell back towards Dalton, to a strong position, which I held for two hours. Forced from it, I retreated slowly on to Tunnel Hill, fighting the enemy at every available point until night, when reinforcements from the command of General Forrest, who had been present during the day directing the movements, arrived. The next mor
enant-Colonel Dargan, of Colonel Graham's command, crossed Light-House Inlet, drove back the enemy's pickets with loss, and returned with one prisoner. On the eleventh there were indications that the attacking fleet was about to withdraw; and on the twelfth, at high water, the Ironsides crossed the bar and took up her position reinforced by Colonel Olmstead's command of Georgia troops, and the garrison kept on the alert for defending it against an attack. This occurred at dawn on the eleventh, when the enemy advanced upon the work in two columns and made a desperate assault, which was gallantly and decidedly repulsed, with a loss to the enemy which mal J. A. Yates was assigned to the command of the artillery at Batteries Simkins and Cheves, and at Fort Johnson. At about seven o'clock on the morning of the eleventh, the enemy's land batteries and monitors opened heavily on Battery Wagner, but the monitors soon withdrew. The fire from the land batteries was, however, kept u
ch, cut his communications wherever practicable, patrol the country thoroughly, and to keep Brigadier-General Gregg (who has just arrived with his brigade from Port Hudson, and was then at Raymond) fully advised of the enemy's movements. On the eleventh, Brigadier-General John Adams, commanding at Jackson, was directed to hurry forward, as fast as they could arrive, the troops from South Carolina, to reinforce Brigadier-General Gregg at Raymond. At this time, information was received from Briganding and encircling the town, within easy cannon range, offered favorable sites for batteries. A cross-fire of shot and shell reached all parts of the town, showing the position to be entirely untenable against a powerful artillery. On the eleventh, I telegraphed the President: If the position and works were not bad, want of stores, which could not be collected, would make it impossible to stand a siege. If the enemy will not attack, we must, or, at the last moment, withdraw. We cannot a
o flight. On the ninth five assaults were made on Lieutenant-General Hood's troops on Rocky Face Mountain. They were repulsed. In the afternoon a report was received that Logan's and Dodge's corps were in Snake Greek Gap. Three divisions under Lieutenant-General Hood were therefore sent to Resaca. On the tenth Lieutenant-General Hood reported the enemy retiring. Skirmishing to our advantage continued all day near Dalton. Major-General Bates repulsed a vigorous attack at night. On the eleventh Brigadier-General Canty reported that the enemy was again approaching Resaca. Lieutenant-General Polk arrived in the evening with Loring's division, and was instructed to defend the place with those troops and Canty's. The usual skirmishing continued near Dalton. Rocky Face Mountain, and Snake Creek Gap, at its south end, completely covered for the enemy the operation of burning Dalton. On the 12th the Federal army, covered by the mountain, moved by Snake Creek Gap towards Resaca. Maj
Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 10. (ed. Frank Moore), Doc. 62.-Hoisting the Black flag — official correspondence and reports. (search)
en reported to me that all the negro troops stationed in Memphis took an oath on their knees, in the presence of Major-General Hurlbut and other officers of your army, to avenge Fort Pillow, and that they would show my troops no quarter. Again, I have it from indisputable authority that the troops under Brigadier-General Sturgis, on their recent march from Memphis, publicly and in various places proclaimed that no quarter would be shown my men. As his troops were moved into action on the eleventh, the officers commanding exhorted their men to remember Fort Pillow, and a large majority of the prisoners we have captured from that command have voluntarily stated that they expected us to murder them, otherwise they would have surrendered in a body rather than taken to the bushes after being run down and exhausted. The recent battle of Tishemingo Creek was far more bloody than it otherwise would have been but for the fact that your men evidently expected to be slaughtered when captured,
previous services of this officer in the field, under my own observations. R. Taylor. Report of Colonel Major. headquarters Second cavalry brigade, near Napolronville, June 30, 1868. Major Lewis Bush, A. A. G.: Major: I have the honor to submit the following report of the operations of my brigade since June tenth, pursuant to orders received from your headquarters, dated eighth instant: I left Washington on the tenth, and arrived at Morgan's Ferry, on the Atchafalaya, on the eleventh. I was detained there one day, in making preparations to cross the river, the entire command, owing to conflicting orders, not arriving until the fourteenth, and on the fifteenth I moved for Hermitage; arrived within five miles the same night, found the bridge burned across Bayou Seria, halted until daylight, then moved on Waterloo, four miles above Hermitage. The enemy were reinforced from Banks' army at Port Hudson. I made demonstrations of an attack during the day; at night drove in t