Browsing named entities in Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 9. (ed. Frank Moore). You can also browse the collection for 13th or search for 13th in all documents.

Your search returned 36 results in 15 document sections:

1 2
anticipation that Hood might make an attempt on Rome. General Corse with his division and that brigade and a battery of artillery, crossed the Etowah on the thirteenth, and made a reconnoissance with a view to develop the force guarding the bridge, by which the enemy crossed the Coosa some sixteen miles below. This move was sstroyed the railroad from Big Shanty to the Chattahoochee River, burning the ties and bending the rails, a stretch of road twenty-two miles in extent. On the thirteenth, the army marched to the vicinity of Atlanta; encamped near Whitehall. While the sick, and the surplus stores of every kind that had accumulated at Atlanta, McAllister, and reported the Fort defended by a garrison of some two hundred men with several heavy guns, bearing on the land approaches. The morning of the thirteenth, I accompanied General Sherman to Doctor Cheves's Rice-Mill, where we had McAllister full in view. At the rice-mill a section of De Grase's battery was firing
sequently modified these directions, ordering Kilpatrick not to assault the works. General Hazen, of the Fifteenth corps, was directed to hold his division in readiness to cross King's Bridge the moment it was completed, and take Fort McAllister. General Kilpatrick made his reconnoissance on the twelfth, drove in the outposts at McAllister, and reported the Fort defended by a garrison of some two hundred men with several heavy guns, bearing on the land approaches. The morning of the thirteenth, I accompanied General Sherman to Doctor Cheves's Rice-Mill, where we had McAllister full in view. At the rice-mill a section of De Grase's battery was firing occasionally at the Fort opposite, three miles and a half distant, as a diversion, having for its principal object, however, to attract the attention of the fleet. During the day we watched the Fort and the bay, endeavoring to catch glimpses of the division moving upon the work, and of vessels belonging to the fleet. About mid
ed to Kingston, where in a few days the troops received pay and clothing. Here also the Twenty-first Michigan volunteers joined the division. On the twelfth of November, we left Kingston for Cartersville where we arrived that night. On the thirteenth, I resumed the march southward, and at Ackworth commenced destroying the railroad, which was continued to Big Shanty, five miles, where we camped for the night. On the fifteenth, I reached Atlanta, leaving the Thirteenth Michigan at Chattahoocacked near Marietta. On the morning of the sixth, we again resumed the march, and passing Kenesaw Mountain, leaving Big Shanty and Ackworth on the right, we crossed the Allatoona Mountain, the Etowah River, and arrived at Rome, Georgia, on the thirteenth. From Rome the command marched to Galesville, Alabama, passing through Resaca, Snake Creek Gap, Ship's Gap, and Summerville. At Galesville the troops remained in camp for several days, and were subsisted almost entirely on the potatoes, chick
ommanding Third brigade) to send three regiments to the rear to protect the trains; and on the thirteenth, Colonel Robinson was directed to take the remainder of his brigade to the same position. Olunteers, and sent them to the rear, to be used in guarding the trains of the corps. On the thirteenth, I was directed to move the remainder of my brigade to the rear, to cover the approaches to thed a short distance to the left, the regiments occupying the same positions in line. On the thirteenth, the brigade was moved about three miles to the rear, where a second or rear-line was formed, e artillery in position on the river bank, and to picket the west bank of the river. On the thirteenth, I was ordered to send a small force to the north of Hutchinson Island, in the Savannah River,l Bloodgood commanding. This regiment supported Captain Winnegar's battery, which, on the thirteenth instant, disabled the rebel transport Resolute to such a degree, that she fell into our hands. A
we travelled through a country that was very level and swampy, and I had one hundred of my men daily detailed, under charge of Captain William E. Chappall, of this regiment, to march in advance as pioneers, to corduroy swamps and repair bridges, and clear out the timber which had been felled in the roads at every swamp by the enemy. There were a good many small bridges built, not, however, worth reporting. On the tenth of December we reached a point five miles from Savannah, and on the thirteenth, I received orders to report to Colonel Buell, then commanding the other section of the train. Recapitulation: Whole number of pontoonboats put down, eighteen; making four hundred and ten feet of bridge; balk and chess used to build bridges on trestles, three hundred and sixty feet; trestle-bridges built, one hundred and eighty-five feet; total, nine hundred and fifty-five feet. Respectfully submitted. Joseph Moore, Lieutenant-Colonel Fifty-eighth Indiana Volunteers, Commanding Sect
as Midway, and from thence to this place, occasionally skirmishing with Colonel Hood's battalion of rebel cavalry, but without any loss. On the morning of the thirteenth, Captain E. A. Hancock, with detachments from the brigade, (one hundred and twenty men,) marched on an expedition to Altamaha Bridge, but found the enemy (two redition to open communication with the fleet. Crossing the Ogechee and Cannouchee rivers on pontoons, we camped on the twelfth near Fort McAllister, and on the thirteenth, at ten o'clock, struck the coast on St. Catherine's Sound. Captain Estes, Assistant Adjutant-General, a staff-officer of Major-General Howard, in a small canoey-three (73) miles, to Ebenezer. On the eleventh, the battery went into camp within five (5) miles of Savannah, on the Macon and Savannah Railroad. On the thirteenth and fourteenth, the battery marched thirty (30) miles, to Midway Church. On the sixteenth, the battery went into camp at King's Bridge, where it remains yet.
pany, and squad drills, officers' schools, etc. ; meanwhile furnishing details for picket and fatigue, ranging in number from forty (40) to seventy-five (75) men daily. On the twenty-fifth, were reviewed by Major-General Slocum, General Sherman being present. On the twenty-ninth of September, also on the first of October, we took part in division-drills, conducted by Brigadier-General Geary. October tenth, started on a foraging expedition, which proved highly successful; returning on the thirteenth, having marched about forty (40) miles. On the nineteenth, in company with the brigade, we embarked on a train for East-Point; after reaching which place, we marched about two miles on the West-Point Railroad, where we stood guard while the track was torn up by a negro gang, the iron being loaded on the train to be sent to repair the track on the Chattanooga Railroad near Resaca. On the two following days, were employed similarly taking up the iron also on the Macon road, four (4) miles
of the rebel iron-clads, and one in the Savannah River, in order to move up near the obstructions, and assist directly in the movement of the army on the city of Savannah, some gunboats being left in the Ossabaw for the communications. On the thirteenth, General Sherman advanced with his army toward the city, enveloped it, and all its outworks south of the river, and in seeking to connect with my force fell in with Fort McAllister, located on the south bank of the Ogeechee. Promptly a divisio the honor to be, very respectfully, your obedient servant, J. A. Dahlgren, Rear-Admiral, Commanding S. A. B. Squadron. U. S. S. Pontiac, Sister's Ferry, Savannah River, Ga., January 31, 1865. Admiral: In obedience to your order of the thirteenth instant, I reported, on the fifteenth instant, to General Sherman, at Savannah, and was by him referred to General Slocum for special instructions. Agreeably to such instructions, we left Savannah on the afternoon of the eighteenth, in company w
chanan that evening. The next day, the eighth of February, news was received of the election of Jefferson Davis by the Montgomery Convention. I called upon General Scott, and he intimated to me that probably no effort would be made to relieve Fort Sumter. He seemed much disappointed and astonished; I therefore returned to New-York on the ninth of February. On the twelfth of March, I received a telegram from Postmaster-General Blair, to come to Washington, and I arrived there on the thirteenth. Mr. Blair having been acquainted with the proposition I presented to General Scott under Mr. Buchanan's administration, sent for me to tender the same to Mr. Lincoln, informing me that Lieutenant-General Scott had advised the President that the Fort could not be relieved, and must be given up. Mr. Blair took me at once to the White House, and I explained the plan to the President; thence we adjourned to Lieutenant-General Scott's office, where a renewed discussion of the subject took plac
Walker, from the former of whom he was separated by the Potomac, and from the latter by the Shenandoah. General Walker took possession of Loudon Heights on the thirteenth, and the next day was in readiness to open upon Harper's Ferry. General McLaws encountered more opposition. He entered Pleasant Valley on the eleventh. On the's Ferry. To prevent this, General D. H. Hill was directed to guard the Boonesboro Gap, and Longstreet ordered to march from Hagerstown to his support. On the thirteenth, General Hill sent back the brigades of Garland and Colquitt to hold the pass; but subsequently ascertaining that the enemy was near, in heavy force, he orderedral Stuart, with two brigades of cavalry and his horse artillery, occupied the plain on Jackson's right, extending to Massaponax creek. On the morning of the thirteenth, the plain on which the Federal army lay was still enveloped in fog, making it impossible to discern its operations. At an early hour the batteries on the heig
1 2