Browsing named entities in Alfred Roman, The military operations of General Beauregard in the war between the states, 1861 to 1865. You can also browse the collection for 17th or search for 17th in all documents.

Your search returned 23 results in 11 document sections:

1 2
at the Enfilade Battery, and one at Fort Ripley—would, I think, supply the place of a good boom across the channel between Sumter and Moultrie. Should you think favorably of the project, I hope you will support it towards the War Department. Why could not 10-inch guns be made at Macon, getting the iron from Spartanburg, which, I understand, is about the best in the country, according to General Ripley? Hoping to see you soon, I remain, yours very truly, G. T. Beauregard. 9. On the 17th the gratifying news was received that the Secretary of War had authorized the immediate casting of the 15-inch gun, and that through him Colonel Miles hoped to be able, erelong, to procure other 10-inch guns for Charleston. But the concluding part of the despatch spoke of Mr. Randolph's resignation, just sent in, and deplored it as a great loss to us, for he took deep interest in General Beauregard's efforts thoroughly to secure Charleston and its harbor, and would have done his utmost in f
atter work, and to transport to other points every gun in Sumter not actually required for its defence and by the new relations of that work to the defence of the harbor. The Chief-Engineer was instructed to strengthen Castle Pinckney with sand-bags. Fort Johnson to be arranged for two additional 10-inch guns, and positions to be prepared for three 10-inch guns, to be placed on the James Island shore of the harbor. Battery Wagner was bombarded heavily by the enemy about daylight on the 17th; at about 9 o'clock A. M. the Ironsides and six monitors joined in the action. Their guns were turned also on Battery Gregg and Fort Sumter, a heavy cannonade being directed against those three works, but principally against Wagner, which, having only two 10-inch columbiads and one 382-pounder, rifled, to reply to the enemy's fleet, maintained the unequal contest more than one hour, when Colonel Keitt, commanding on Morris Island, ordered the brave artillerists and their gallant officers to
us: Owing to reduction of forces, I shall leave this Department with great concern, which would be much diminished if General Hill were ordered to relieve me; for since his arrival here he has been making himself acquainted with the forces and localities. My Chief of Staff is still quite sick, and cannot be, at present, of much assistance to General Jones. I am confident a positive order from War Department would be obeyed with alacrity by General Hill. G. T. Beauregard. On the 17th he sent the following telegram to General Whiting: Am ordered to Weldon for present, but am desirous to see you as I pass through Wilmington, on Wednesday, about 10 o'clock. G. T. Beauregard. On the 18th General Cooper received the following despatch: General Jones has not yet arrived. Have telegraphed Gilmer to come forthwith. I will leave to-morrow. I have recalled all South Carolina and Georgia troops from Florida, except one battalion infantry and one and a half re
otected by field-works. With this fearful disparity, the battle opened on the 17th. Three times were the Federals driven back, but they as often resumed the offensd as near as possible to the enemy's. At 10 P. M., or about that time, on the 17th, while General Beauregard was anxiously waiting for the firing to cease, in ordehe accumulated proofs of every kind then before him, that, on the evening of the 17th, most of General Grant's forces had been brought against Petersburg, and knowing, of Johnson's division, the opportune arrival of which, in the afternoon of the 17th, saved the Confederate lines from utter destruction. None of these troops belon evidently no order. It was received by General Beauregard at 4.30 A. M. on the 17th, not only after the withdrawal of Johnson from the Bermuda Hundreds line, but afrt than the old men and boys of the town. And further on he adds: On the 17th an assault was made with such spirit and force as to gain a part of our line, in
g Petersburg prevented 22,000 from effecting its capture. On the evening of the 16th 10,000 men stood a successful barrier to 66,000. The same 10,000 men, on the 17th, confronted 90,000, and were not defeated. On the 18th our troops, reinforced, first by Kershaw's, then by Field's division, of General Lee's army—making an aggreps; nor were the breastworks they would have assaulted so formidable as they are represented to be; for, though begun by General Beauregard during the night of the 17th, they were not completed until days and weeks after General Lee's arrival. Some other reason must be assigned for the inertness and comparative inactivity of the he Confederate forces, including General Lee's army, occupied the new defensive lines to which General Beauregard had withdrawn his troops, during the night of the 17th, unobserved by his vigilant adversary. These lines were necessarily taken under the pressure of circumstances, as most lines are on the field of battle, but had,
he field; we cannot, dare not, will not fail to respond. Full of hope and confidence, I come to join in your struggle, sharing your privations, and, with your brave and true men, to strike the blow that shall bring success to our arms, triumph to our cause, and peace to our country. G. T. Beauregard, General. Official. Geo. Wm. Brent, Col., and A. A. G. The following despatch was received on the 18th of October from General P. D. Roddy, who was then at Courtland. It was dated on the 17th: No cavalry [enemy's] have passed Decatur. Scouts report but a small garrison at Decatur yesterday, and no force on the north side of the river, from Florence up to Decatur. All other force is believed to be going towards Bridgeport. Two days later the following telegram was received from General N. B. Forrest, dated Corinth, October 19th: I am moving to meet General Washburn, who is reported crossing five thousand troops at Clifton. If he crosses I will attack. If I can defe
ortified place all his sick and wounded, as well as his surplus guns; and to draw from Nashville and elsewhere the supplies of provisions, ammunition, wagons, and horses required by him for his movement to the Atlantic coast. Jackson's division of cavalry being urgently needed to cooperate with and support General Wheeler's forces, General Beauregard now requested General Hood to send it without delay. See telegram and letter of Colonel Brent, A. A. G., in Appendix. By telegraph, on the 17th, Hood replied as follows: To General Beauregard: To send Jackson's division at this time would materially endanger the success of the operation of this army. J. B. Hood, General. This refusal General Beauregard thought ill-timed, for the army was still motionless at Florence, and its immediate safety could hardly depend upon the presence of Jackson's cavalry. Sherman had left Atlanta on the 15th, and news of his march, in two columns, one on the Jonesboroa road, the other on
Chapter 45: The enemy Crosses Broad River on the 16th of February. General Beauregard orders the evacuation of Columbia. it is effected on the 17th. General Beauregard's arrival at Ridgeway. his despatches to the War Department. General Hampton's plan to oppose the advance of the enemy. General Beauregard goes t that took place after our troops had left will form the subject of another chapter. General Beauregard rode out of Columbia, with his staff, at 10 A. M. on the 17th, taking a northerly route towards Chester, where he thought he might still be able to form a junction with General Hardee's forces. He arrived at Ridgeway, about twenty-five miles from Columbia, on the night of the 17th, and remained there nearly two days, giving orders to his different commands, and reporting to the President and General Lee every incident of importance connected with the movements of his troops. His first telegram to the latter read as follows: Ridgeway, S. C.,
mentioned—not to speak of hundreds of honorable citizens of Columbia, conspicuous among whom were Dr. Goodwyn, its respected Mayor, and the Rev. Doctors A. Toomer Porter and P. J. Shand—to wit: That when, between 9 and 10 o'clock A. M. on the 17th, General Butler's last trooper rode out of the capital of South Carolina, just as the vanguard of the Federal army was entering it, not one bale of the cotton piled in its streets had been set afire. The only thing burning at the time of the evacurned itself out. This silences all contradiction, for this is simply the truth. It remains none the less a fact, however, that Columbia was destroyed by fire. When was it so destroyed, and by whom? Between 8 and 9 o'clock A. M., on the 17th, Dr. Goodwyn, the Mayor, and three Aldermen, whose names we are unable to give, formally surrendered the city to the first officer of the hostile army whom they met, and were promised protection to the town and its inhabitants until communication
their last fight; that the cause, for which they had so intrepidly struggled, was now lost; and that the sooner they were disbanded the better. Their irregular manner of leaving the army, by hundreds and more at a time, was another argument against the sanguine expectations indulged in by Mr. Davis. Through General Hampton's instrumentality the time and place of meeting were arranged for the proposed conference between Generals Johnston and Sherman, who met, accordingly, at noon, on the 17th, at Durham Station, some sixteen miles east of Hillsboroa. Nothing definite having been concluded at 2 o'clock P. M. on that day, it was agreed to adjourn until ten o'clock on the morning of the 18th. Just before the opening of the second day's conference General Beauregard sent to General Johnston the following suggestion, the substance of which we find embodied in article 2d of the terms of agreement about to be submitted to the reader: Greensboroa, April 18th, 1865:8 A. M. Gene
1 2