Browsing named entities in Emilio, Luis F., History of the Fifty-Fourth Regiment of Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry , 1863-1865. You can also browse the collection for 17th or search for 17th in all documents.

Your search returned 10 results in 8 document sections:

h held the front lines. So silently was the operation accomplished that the enemy did not discover our evacuation until daylight. When the Fifty-sixth New York, the rear-guard, had crossed the bridge leading from James Island, at 1 A. M., on the 17th, it was effectually destroyed, thus rendering pursuit difficult. That night's march was a memorable one, for the difficulties of the way were exceptional, and only to be encountered upon the Sea Islands. After passing the bridge, the road led med, and Cole's Island soon reached. The regiments following the Fifty-fourth had the benefit of daylight most of the way. Footsore, weary, hungry, and thirsty, the regiment was halted near the beach opposite Folly Island about 5 A. M., on the 17th. Sleep was had until the burning sun awakened the greater number. Regiments had been arriving and departing all the morning. Rations were not procurable, and they were fortunate who could find a few crumbs or morsels of meat in their haversacks
Emilio, Luis F., History of the Fifty-Fourth Regiment of Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry , 1863-1865, Chapter 7: bombardment of Charleston. (search)
boat attack, so our troops were called into line, where they remained until firing ceased. Meanwhile from Gregg and the Ironsides our calcium lights swept the waters about the harbor to discover any force approaching. Our monitor Lehigh grounded the next morning. Under a fierce cannonade a hawser was carried from the Nahant, and by it and the rising tide she was floated at 11 A. M. From Gregg and Chatfield our guns, mounted for the purpose, began to fire on the city at 10 A. M. on the 17th, throwing twenty-one shells. We could see the smoke from the explosions as the shells struck about the wharves, in the burnt district, or well up among the houses. This bombardment of Charleston was from this time maintained with more or less vigor each day and night. Against Sumter, from November 1 to the 20th, we fired an average of five hundred shots daily. Our new work nearest Gregg was named Battery Seymour, and was armed with ten-inch mortars; another still farther south was called
ot who fell in the assault of July 18, 1863, upon Fort Wagner, S. C., and whose name will constantly suggest to the troops of this camp all that is honorable and meritorious. By order of Brig.-Gen. T. Seymour. R. M. Hall, 1st Lieut. 1st U. S. Art'y, Act. Ass't-Adj't-Gen'l. Disregarding his instructions, Seymour prepared to execute the advance which he had resolved to make, seemingly in complete ignorance of the enemy's force. Disaster and failure were inevitable. By letter on the 17th, he informed Gillmore that he would move to the Suwanee River to destroy the railroad. His letter closed with a postscript reflecting upon all his higher officers in these words: Send me a general for the command of the advance troops, or I shall be in a state of constant apprehension. On the 18th Gillmore did send him a general in the person of General Turner, his chief of staff, not for the purpose requested, but to suspend the movement, bring Seymour back to Baldwin, and deliver letters
e, cheering, etc., and from seeing regiments leaving in heavy marching order, with baggage-wagons in the rear, judge that the uproar was occasioned by these departures of troops, probably to join Lee. General Gillmore, on May 1, formally relinquished command of the department to General Hatch. Admiral Dahlgren, who had been North, returned that day and records in his journal: Hatch says that Gillmore has taken off twenty thousand men, and leaves him no more than enough to hold on. On the 17th Dahlgren writes that Hatch had some fourteen thousand men remaining, which were barely sufficient for the defensive. No mails came to Morris Island for many days, while the steamers were all employed in transporting troops North. The infantry regiments went out in regular turn for grand guard, and fatigue work, at the front, or at the ordnance and quartermaster's depots. Our artillerymen were throwing about a dozen shells into Charleston daily. Against Sumter they were firing mainly wi
ess. Food and cooking was the same otherwise as furnished the Fifty-fourth. Of these inflictions in retaliation the enemy was duly informed as the result of their own uncivilized acts, which would be discontinued whenever they ceased to practise the same. September 9, Wagner fired a salute of shotted guns in honor of the capture of Atlanta, Ga. The next day a reconnoissance was made in small force by the army and navy about Bull's Bay. Our shells caused a large fire in Charleston on the 17th, plainly seen from Cumming's Point, by which twenty-five buildings were destroyed. Another, the next day, burned two mansions at the corner of Trade and Meeting streets. With increased elevations our shells fell a distance of two blocks beyond Calhoun Street. A prisoner of war in Charleston thus graphically describes the firing:— Every fifteen or twenty minutes we could see the smoke and hear the explosions of Foster's messengers, —two hundredpound shells. They told us of the untiring
Emilio, Luis F., History of the Fifty-Fourth Regiment of Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry , 1863-1865, Chapter 14: Charleston and Savannah. (search)
leston, disregarding General Beauregard's orders, deferred abandoning the city until the last moment. For some days previous to February 17, trains loaded with army supplies and citizens with their effects were being sent away. At the last the place was largely deserted by its people, the streets littered with refuse and the books and papers of the merchants, and stores and residences showed few signs of occupancy. From James and Sullivan's islands the Confederates moved to the city on the 17th, thence taking the road to Cheraw, their ranks depleted by desertion as they marched. Detachments were left in the city until the 18th with orders to burn every building holding cotton. They fired a large shed at the Savannah railroad wharf and another on Lucas Street. Lucas's mill and Walker's warehouse were destroyed. The bridge over the Ashley was burned. A terrific explosion occurred at the Northeastern Railroad Depot, filled with ordnance stores, causing great loss of life and commun
t Bradford Springs; and when the column again proceeded, the enemy's skirmishers were encountered, who gave way readily, but kept up a running fight all the afternoon. Private Lewis Clark, of Company C, was killed, and Private Levi Jackson, of the same company, wounded that day while foraging. The skirmishers of the Thirty-second United States Colored Troops killed one Rebel and captured another. By sunset the colored brigade had advanced sixteen miles and camped at Spring Hill. On the 17th the last forward march of the division was made. It moved at 6.30 A. M. toward Camden, the First Brigade leading, the foe yielding until we came to swampy ground, where works were discovered. There the First Brigade fronted the enemy; and a part of the Twenty-fifth Ohio flanked the position, when the Rebels retired. The Second Brigade was also sent to the left for the same purpose, but its aid was not required. No further opposition was made; and Potter's force entered Camden, the Second
instances. President Johnson's Amnesty Proclamation, when received, was variously regarded, according to the status of the critic as a Secessionist Radical or Conservative. Major P. E. Dye paid Companies A, B, and C of the Fifty-fourth on the 17th, and the remaining companies on the two succeeding days. This was only the second payment of the enlisted men while in service. In Charleston the Masonic Lodge organized on Morris Island, of which First Sergeant Gray of Company C was the Masterd Hemmingway were among the members, who numbered some twentyfive or thirty. It is thought that the charter of this lodge was surrendered ultimately to Prince Hall Lodge of Boston, whence it came. Admiral Dahlgren departed for the North on the 17th, after taking leave of his squadron in orders. On the 18th an affray occurred on the Battery between a guard of the One Hundred and Twenty-seventh New York and some of the Thirty-fifth United States Colored Troops, when a few soldiers and civilia