Browsing named entities in Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 7. (ed. Frank Moore). You can also browse the collection for 18th or search for 18th in all documents.

Your search returned 26 results in 17 document sections:

1 2
e sunlight as he urged the men forward; but he was brought in with half his head torn off, and it was hard to recognize him. But God bless him! He was true, for his right hand grasped his sword firmly in death. I have it stored to be sent to his friends. Colonel B. and Lieutenant-Colonel B. came out safe. The Lieutenant-Colonel had been sick for some time, and this finished him. So I took command of the regiment, brought it to the mortar battery, and bivouacked for the night. On the eighteenth came the call from General Banks for a thousand stormers, and four officers and fifty men of our regiment responded to it. Yesterday our regiment went to Springfield Landing to guard against a raid, (it is our base,) and the Stormers came here to camp. The thousand are here, and we storm on Weitzel's front, on the extreme right. The first officer in our brigade was myself, my Second Lieutenant is another, and Colonel Benedict leads us. It is, as you will perceive, in spite of the flatt
with him. By the morning of the eighteenth he had crossed the river, and was ready to march on Walnut Hills. McClernand and McPherson built floating bridges during the night, and had them ready for crossing their commands by eight A. M. of the eighteenth. The march was commenced by Sherman at an early hour by the Bridgeport and Vicksburgh road, turning to the right when within three and a half miles of Vicksburgh, to get possession of Walnut Hills and the Yazoo River. This was successfully had been ordered by General Grant. Up to that time our men had literally lived upon the country, having left Grand Gulf May eighth with three days rations in their haversacks, and received little or nothing until after our arrival here on the eighteenth. The several corps being in position on the nineteenth, General Grant ordered a general assault at two P. M. At that hour Blair's division moved forward, Ewing's and Giles Smith's brigade on the right of the road, and Kirby Smith's brigade o
own the valley from there. The main body, however, was divided into plundering parties, and scoured the whole southern portion of the county, spending several days in and about Greencastle and Waynesboro, and giving Welsh Run a pretty intimate visitation. The rebels seemed omnipresent according to reports. They were on several occasions since their departure from this place just about to reenter it, and the panic-stricken made .a corresponding exit at the other side. On Thursday, the eighteenth, they were reported within two miles of here, in large force, and a general skedaddle took place. And again on Sunday, the twenty-first, they were reported coming with reenforcements. A few ran off, but most of our people, knowing that there was a military force to fall back upon between this and Scotland, shouldered their guns and fell into ranks to give battle. Prominent among these we noticed Rev. Mr. Niccoll, whose people missed a sermon in.his determination to pop a few rebels.
The movement for the concentration of the corps more compactly toward Crawfish Springs was begun on the morning of the eighteenth, under orders to conduct it very secretly, and was executed so slowly that McCook's corps only reached Pond Spring at do comply with these orders, as General Thomas occupied the ground. My instructions were subsequently modified. On the eighteenth, General Lytle arrived with his two brigades, and on the night of the eighteenth my corps was closed up compactly on things it had been a race, both armies marching by the flank. The movement of Rosecrans's whole line on the night of the eighteenth, until the right rested where the left had been, was supposed to have put him again in front of the enemy, and for the First division of the reserve corps, commanded by Brigadier-General James B. Steedman, deserves some mention. On the eighteenth the First brigade of the division, commanded by Brigadier-General W. C. Whittaker, was sent from Rossville to the Littl
instigation of a butternut resident of the place, cleaned out the Jackson Express office, a copperhead sheet of the same place. From this place Morgan had sent up some forces to Berlin, at which place there were three thousand militia posted, under the command of Colonel Runkle. Morgan's men threw one shell in their midst, which acted like a charm on the militia, who instantly became — missing. We camped that night at Jackson, and started again at three o'clock on the morning of the eighteenth, and followed on by way of Keystone Furnace. We found that they had burnt a bridge over Raccoon Creek, and had captured two boxes of army clothing. At the little town of Linesville, the home guards tore up the bridge and blockaded the road, detaining the rebels another two hours, and doing as good service as the citizens of Jasper. Part of the rebel force had gone down by way of Wilkesville, where they burnt two or three bridges; we went on to Chester, where they had burnt a bridge over
I crossed Little River, north-east of Middleburgh, and bivouacked for the night, establishing strong pickets on the river. At ten P. M., having heard nothing from the despatch sent to General Kilpatrick at Aldie, I sent twenty men under an officer to carry a second despatch. I have since learned that Captain Allen succeeded in making his way through the enemy's lines to Aldie. The party bearing the second despatch was probably captured. At half-past 3 o'clock the next morning, eighteenth instant, I was informed by scouts, whom I had previously sent out, that the roads in every direction were full of the enemy's cavalry, and that the road to Aldie was held by a brigade with four pieces of artillery. Under these circumstances I abandoned the project of going to Union, but made up my mind not to surrender in any event. I directed the head of my column on the road to Aldie, when an engagement commenced at once, the enemy opening on both flanks with heavy volleys, yelling to us t
id them a visit and gave them my advice in case of an attack, which I looked for sooner or later. I left Commander Woolsey in the Princess Royal, in command at Donaldsonville, ordered the Winona to Plaquemin, and stationed the Kineo at a place below where the railroad ran near the river, distance about twenty-three miles from New-Orleans. On the seventeenth instant, the enemy reached the La fourche, crossing and attacking our pickets, who repulsed them, causing them a heavy loss. On the eighteenth they had a second fight and were again repulsed. On the twenty-sixth, the enemy, under Generals Green and Mouton; attacked and capture Brashear City. Our force there was very small I had only a small steamer, mounting two twelve-pound howitzers, which I purchased as a tug, but I regret to say that her commander is not represented as having been any more vigilant than the rest and backed down the bay. Mr. Ryder says, however, that he could not fire into the enemy without firing into our
rce. General Potter was accompanied by captain Gouraud, Lieutenant farquhar, and Lieutenant Myers, Chief of Ordnance of Major-General foster's staff, all of whom have seen active service in North-Carolina. Early on Saturday morning, the eighteenth instant, orders were received for the cavalry to get in readiness to start on the expedition. Every man leaped into his saddle with alacrity, and the column went across the Neuse to Fort Anderson without incident. The cavalry and artillery at thijor Cole, of the Third; the second under Major Clarkson, of the Twelfth; and the third under Major Jacobs, of the Third--the whole under Lieutenant-Colonel Lewis, with General Potter as chief. About half-past 11 o'clock on the morning of the eighteenth, the cavalry moved forward in splendid order in the direction of Swift Creek. The enemy's pickets were not near the creek; but they took to their boats and hurried across, giving our men a volley from their muskets as they left, but doing no i
y. At twilight the flood of their tens of thousands rolled on. As the veil of night covered the plain below, it became spangled with the thousands of lights of the enemy's bivouacs, revealing their immense encampment. On Friday morning, the eighteenth, the enemy was found to occupy the opposite side of the west fork of the Chickamauga, which runs east of north, emptying into the Tennessee above Chattanooga. Our army had now advanced to the Chickamauga, General Forrest's cavalry being in frore they were driven back, on the eleventh of September, by Forrest's and Scott's cavalry, General Bushrod Johnson's forces occupying the ridge back of the railroad tunnel. To show that Rosecrans. had no idea of being attacked by Bragg, on the eighteenth, while he was securing the bridges and fords across the Chickamauga, the enemy's cavalry made a dash on Ringgold, shelling the town, but were driven back by our cavalry with considerable loss. It is stated that at this time, some of our people
he evening of the fourth of July, distant from the foot of Lake Traverse seventy-four miles. At this point, called Camp Hayes, the command lay over six days awaiting the arrival of the supply train from Fort Abercrombie. The train arrived on the ninth of July, and the expedition resumed the line of march on the morning of the eleventh. From this point to the second crossing of the Sheyenne, where we arrived on the seventeenth, the distance was eighty-three miles. On the morning of the eighteenth, we resumed the march and reached Camp Atcheson, on Lake Emily, the day's march being twelve miles. At this point I was directed to lay out an intrenched camp, and a force was selected from the several regiments to hold the same, with a view to disembarrassing the active force of all men unable to march; and of all supplies not actually necessary in a more rapid pursuit of the enemy. Companies G and C of my regiment were designated by me as part of the garrison, together with invalids
1 2