Browsing named entities in Maj. Jed. Hotchkiss, Confederate Military History, a library of Confederate States Military History: Volume 3, Virginia (ed. Clement Anselm Evans). You can also browse the collection for 20th or search for 20th in all documents.

Your search returned 20 results in 10 document sections:

-Gen. Winfield Scott, of Virginia, commanding the army of the United States, arrived in Washington, by order of the President, to advise in reference to military affairs; on the 14th, Lewis Cass, of Michigan, resigned as secretary of state; on the 20th, South Carolina adopted an ordinance of secession; on the 25th, Maj. Robert Anderson transferred the Federal garrison from Fort Moultrie to Fort Sumter, in Charleston harbor; on the 27th, South Carolina occupied Castle Pinckney and Fort Moultrie, semble at Norfolk for the purpose of capturing the Gosport navy yard. The same day, at the instance of General Scott, President Lincoln offered to Col. R. E. Lee the command of the United States army intended for the invasion of Virginia. On the 20th Colonel Lee resigned his commission in the United States army, and on the 22d he was elected by the Virginia convention, major-general to command the forces of the State, for which provision had been made to mobilize for its defense. General Lee
uniforms of their rank, and each with a large staff, made an imposing display as they rode through the camps and around the vicinity of Harper's Ferry. The reign of the militia lasted about ten days, during which the only marked event was an ordering of the command under arms, on the night of the 25th, to capture a train of Federal troops reported as coming from the West, but which was found to have on it only General Harney of the United States army, who was taken prisoner. Letcher, on the 20th, had prohibited the Baltimore & Ohio from passing troops across Virginia over that road. Imboden relates that he improvised caissons for his artillery from horse carts found in the armory; procured harness from Baltimore with his own means, and ordered red flannel shirts and other service clothing for his men from Richmond to replace the fine dress uniforms with which they came to camp. On the 27th of April, Maj. Thomas J. Jackson, of the Virginia military institute, was appointed colo
ate front, on the Warrenton road and on the road to Blackburn's ford, with Tyler's division, while with Hunter's and Heintzelman's he would, by a wide detour of 7 miles or more to the westward and northward. cross Bull run at Sudley ford, turn the Confederate left, and get in its rear between Bull run and the Manassas Gap railroad, hoping by so doing to prevent Johnston from joining Beauregard. This plan of engagement adopted, McDowell intended to begin his movement during the night of the 20th, but his division commanders persuaded him to put it off until the morning of the 21st. Schenck's and Sherman's brigades of Tyler's division, with Carlisle's battery of six brass guns and a 30-pounder Parrott gun, marched at 2:30 a. m. of the 21st from near Centreville, along the Warrenton road to near the stone bridge over Bull run, where Schenck deployed his brigade on the left of the road and Sherman's on the right, with artillery in the Warrenton road and in that leading to Blackburn's f
ina and some companies from Georgia; also that the resolution of the Virginia convention for an alliance had been received and accepted. On the 19th, Letcher telegraphed Taliaferro: As we need powder, keep an eye to securing that article. On the 20th the governor of Georgia reported that he had four companies ready to start for Virginia. The Seaboard railroad furnished facilities for sending these South Carolina and Georgia troops directly to Norfolk. Scott, on the 19th of April, ordered C, carriages for ten 42-pounders, and four large launches and cutters, as early as possible, for the defenses of York river. On the. 19th the steamer Northampton was transferred to the war department for an army transport on James river. On the 20th Colonel Magruder issued a general order assigning troops to various posts in his department. Colonel Ewell was assigned to the duty of erecting fortifications in the vicinity of Williamsburg, in conjunction with Capt. A. L. Rives, of the engineer
ks with the same object in view. On the 17th of August the Federal department of the Potomac, generally called the army of the Potomac, was created, to include Washington and vicinity, northeastern Virginia and the Shenandoah valley; and on the 20th General McClellan assumed command of this department with his headquarters at Washington. On the 24th this department was still further enlarged by taking in the department of Pennsylvania. Once in full command of the twelve brigades, the fivhe whole fight, considering the bad arms with which they were supplied and their inexperience. On the 18th of October, Brig.-Gen. I. B. Richardson, reconnoitered to Pohick church and Accotink village, drove in the Confederate pickets, and on his return advanced his own pickets to Windsor's hill, some 5 miles southeast of Alexandria. On the 20th, Major Whipple made a reconnoissance from Dranesville; near Hunter's mill had a skirmish with Confederate pickets, also one near Thornton Station.
had effected a crossing at Edwards' ferry and at Ball's bluff, 4 miles above. He promptly sent four companies from his Mississippi regiments and two companies of cavalry, under the command of Lieut.-Col. W. H. Jenifer, to the assistance of Captain Duff, to hold the enemy in check until his plan of attack should be developed. Colonel Jenifer immediately engaged the Federal advance and drove it back toward Ball's bluff. The force that had crossed at Harrison's island, about midnight of the 20th, was part of the command of Colonel Baker, some 300 men under Col. Charles Devens, of the Fifteenth Massachusetts. Its object was to capture a Confederate camp that had been reported to be about a mile from the river. This force advanced to an open field surrounded by woods, where it halted until it could be joined by a company from the Twentieth Massachusetts, which had been left on the bluff, on the Virginia side, to protect the Federal return. Devens, at daybreak, pushed forward with a
the Shenandoah; intrench another brigade at Strasburg; build and occupy blockhouses at the railway bridges; leave two regiments of cavalry at Winchester, and keep his front covered by constantly employed cavalry well advanced—the general object being to cover the line of the Potomac and Washington, and, he doubtless mentally added, protect the right of the army moving toward Fredericksburg. Banks hastened to comply with these orders. Shields' division was recalled from Strasburg, and on the 20th, Williams' division took up its line of march for Manassas. Ashby, who kept up a constant skirmish with the Federal advance between Woodstock and Strasburg, routing its pickets and peering into its camps, reported to Jackson on the evening of March 21st, that the enemy had evacuated Strasburg and he was following them. Jackson, having been instructed by Johnston to hold in the valley the enemy already there, followed after Ashby at dawn of the 22d, Fulkerson's brigade from Woodstock and G
rly in the morning, and try to reach Bowling Green and Milford station, and wished his base, in that event, changed to Port Royal. At 10 p. m., of the same day, he again wrote: The enemy came out on our right, late this afternoon, and attacked, but were driven back until some time since dark. Not knowing their exact position, and the danger our trains at Fredericksburg will be in if we move, I shall not make the move designated for to-night, until their designs are fully developed. On the 20th he reported that his casualties of the previous day were 196 killed, 1,090 wounded, and 240 missing. When Grant began his forward movement, on the 4th of May, he not only ordered Butler forward, but also directed Sigel, in the Shenandoah valley, to make a simultaneous advance to capture Staunton and break Lee's communications with the Shenandoah valley, with the 6,500 men and 28 guns in his command. Apprised of this movement, Lee ordered Gen. John C. Breckinridge to collect at Staunton th
ked his rear in a skirmish at Liberty, and there encamped for the night. On the 20th, Early continued the pursuit to the entrance to Buford's gap, where he had anoth the risk of his life, and thus saved him from death. In the afternoon of the 20th, the trains were started up the Valley toward Newtown, and during the night Brecns, followed by McCausland, marched to Cedarville by way of Millwood, and on the 20th, to Middletown on the Valley turnpike. Rodes marched through White Post and on nce to Stephenson's depot, on the road to Martinsburg and Shepherdstown. On the 20th there was some cavalry skirmishing along the Opequan. On the 21st, Early marcnted and ably led men, which Early had no corresponding force to meet. On the 20th, at daylight, Early continued his retreat, falling back through Strasburg to Fisgnal stations reported an advance of the enemy up the valley to Woodstock On the 20th, Early again started down the valley, with Rosser in advance, followed by Wharto
, left for Dublin Depot in southwest Virginia, and McCausland's came to Fishersville, en route to its winter quarters in Alleghany and Greenbrier counties. On the 20th, Jackson's cavalry came, from toward Gordonsville, on its way to winter quarters in Bath and adjacent counties. On the 22d the Federal cavalry captured Early's pinding one of its divisions, who had begun his military career at Rich mountain in the early part of July, 1861. On the 9th, Gen. Fitz Lee left for Richmond On the 20th a portion of the general hospital of the army, which had so long been located at Staunton, was removed to Richmond, and on the 22d the Churchville company of cavalre stealing cattle, sheep and other things, wherever they could find them. A conflict of citizens took place with some of these, three miles from Staunton, on the 20th, on which day word came to the Valley that Lincoln had been assassinated. There was a general expression of indignation and profound regret, at this sad and untim