Browsing named entities in Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 9. (ed. Frank Moore). You can also browse the collection for 23rd or search for 23rd in all documents.

Your search returned 31 results in 10 document sections:

e closing up and his men scattered breaking up railroads. The enemy came out of Macon and attacked Walcott in position, but was so roughly handled that he never repeated the experiment. On the eighth day after leaving Atlanta, namely, on the twenty-third, General Slocum occupied Milledgeville and the important bridge across the Oconee there; and Generals Howard and Kilpatrick were in and about Gordon. General Howard was then ordered to move eastward, destroying the railroad thoroughly in hiexceedingly slow, and the night of the twenty-first was spent in mud and water, crossing Murder Creek. On the twenty-second, the weather partially cleared off, and the corps marched and went into camp in the vicinity of Cedar Creek. On the twenty-third, the weather cleared off, and the roads having dried up so as to be quite passable for trains, the whole command marched, and went into camp in the vicinity of Milledgeville by the afternoon. The Twentieth corps had already reached the city
orders to destroy it after the passage of all our troops and trains. This order was carried out by Lieutenant-Colonel Palmer, commanding the regiment. On the sixteenth, I marched from Atlanta, via Decatur, to Lithonia, twenty miles. On the twenty-first, I marched to Yellow River, destroying five miles of the Georgia Railroad. The march was continued through Covington to Harris's plantation, where we turned southward toward Shady Dale, and on to Milledgeville, where we arrived on the twenty-third. On the twenty-fourth, we crossed the Oconee and marched on Sandersville, arriving there on the twenty-seventh. On the twenty-eighth, we arrived at Davisboro. Continuing the march due east, through Louisville, we struck the Augusta and Millen Railroad at Lumpkins Station, and destroyed three miles of railroad, all the buildings, platforms, wood, etc. Marching on eastward, we struck the Savannah and Augusta road near the Savannah River and turned southward. On the eleventh of Decem
atimer's on our return at one P. M., on the twenty-third, and encamped for the night about two milese, and encamped on the east bank. On the twenty-third, the regiment destroyed one mile of the rai M., having marched seventeen miles. On the twenty-third, my brigade remained in camp near the Oconethe morning of the twenty-second. On the twenty-third, my command moved back toward the city, and the enemy or casualties therefrom. On the twenty-third, we moved in and took position on the bank ence to the requirements of circular of twenty-third instant, I have the honor to make the followingamped for the second night. By noon of the twenty-third, all the wagons were loaded, and the head ocellaneous wagons. On the morning of the twenty-third, all the empty wagons (amounting to over tht of operations required by circular of twenty-third instant: Having pitched camp in Atlanta the from brigade headquarters, of date the twenty-third instant, I have the honor to submit the followi
rning of October twenty-first, when I was ordered to accompany a foraging expedition under Colonel Dustin, commanding Third division, Twentieth corps. Starting at daylight of the same day, and moving in the direction of Lithonia, a small station on the Georgia Railroad, passing through the town of Decatur, at sundown we went into camp on a large plantation, formerly owned by Clark, and known as Clark's plantation, about fifteen miles from Atlanta. Remaining here until the evening of the twenty-third, we succeeded in loading about nine hundred wagons with forage and provisions within a radius of five miles. About dark the train was put in motion leading to Atlanta by Colonel Dustin, my battery acting as rear-guard as far as Decatur, where we arrived about four o'clock A. M. On the morning of the twenty-fourth, about seven o'clock A. M., we again started for Atlanta, acting as advance-guard, where we arrived about ten o'clock A. M., went into camp in our old camping-ground, where we re
On the sixteenth day of November, the battery was in action at Lovejoy's Station, and at Bear Creek Station. At Lovejoy's Station, the battery silenced the enemy's guns and took possession of two of them, after the cavalry had run them down. On the nineteenth, the battery crossed the Ocmulgee and marched thirty-two (32) miles, to Clinton. This day's march killed ten (10) horses. On the twentieth, the battery was in action near Macon; had one wagon broken and destroyed. On the twenty-third, near Gordon, broke an axle and destroyed a caisson. On the twenty-fourth, twenty-fifth, twenty-sixth, and twenty-seventh, the company marched one hundred and twenty-three (123) miles, to Waynesboro; had thirty (30) horses killed and abandoned. On the twenty-eighth, the battery was in action at Jones's plantation, near Buckhead Church, and on the twenty-ninth arrived at Louisville, Georgia. December first, second, and third, the battery marched with General Baird's division to Th
orks for defence, south of the city of Atlanta. On the fourteenth, under orders received from the division commander, the regiment proceeded to Chattanooga as an escort to paymasters, awaiting an opportunity to pay the army. Returning on the twenty-third, it took its former position, which was retained without material change, till the eleventh of October, when, with the brigade, it proceeded as a portion of an expedition sent out in the direction of Yellow River, for forage. A large amount oedgeville, all public property and matter available to the enemy was either destroyed or appropriated; among the rest, the noted and extensive Dunham tannery and shoe manufactory, near Eatonton, in which duty the regiment participated. On the twenty-third, the command was engaged and assisted in destroying the railroad from Milledgeville, in the direction of Gordon Junction, returning the same night, and leaving Milledgeville on the twenty-fourth. On the twenty-sixth, the Georgia Central Railr
ouse, thus turning the enemy's works and compelling him to give battle on ground not previously selected or prepared. And I indulged in the hope that in the execution of this plan I should be enabled to fall on part of the enemy's forces before he could effect a concentration, and thus so cripple him as to render more certain the success of the final struggle. In accordance with this plan orders were issued on the twenty-third for the movement. A storm occurring during the night of the twenty-third, the orders were postponed till the morning of the twenty-sixth, at six A. M. of which day the several columns were directed to move. Major-General French, commanding the Third corps, was directed to proceed with his corps to Jacob's Mill, cross the Rapidan at that point, and continue his march by a road known to exist from Jacob's Mill to Robertson's Tavern, where he would effect a junction with the Second corps. Major-General Warren was ordered to cross at Germania Ford and take the
river to rise so rapidly that the ford soon became impassable for infantry and artillery. Under these circumstances, it was deemed advisable to withdraw the troops who had reached the opposite side, and they recrossed during the night of the twenty-third, on a temporary bridge constructed for the purpose. General Stuart, who had been directed to cut the railroad in the rear of General Pope's army, crossed the Rappahannock on the morning of the twenty-second, about six miles above the springs,a number of officers. Becoming apprehensive of the effect of the rain upon the streams which separated him from the main body of the army, he retired, after firing the enemy's camp, and recrossed the Rappahannock at Warrenton Springs. On the twenty-third, General Longstreet directed Colonel Walton, with part of the Washington artillery and other batteries of his command, to drive back a force of the enemy that had crossed to the south bank of the Rappahannock, near the railroad bridge, upon th
from his positions on both sides of the river. The batteries were opened at sunrise on the twenty-third, and a severe cannonade continued for several hours. In about two hours, however, the enemy h them. We were only subjected to a few shells of the enemy, which did us no harm. On the twenty-third, we marched to Scott's farm, near the White Sulphur Springs, and on the twenty-fourth, withinamped near that place. Marching thence, and crossing Rapidan River on the eighteenth, on the twenty-third, under order from General Longstreet, I advanced Drayton's brigade on the road leading to Bev Having, during the night, made all necessary preparation, at daybreak on the morning of the twenty-third, I placed in position on the left, at Beverly's Ford, Captain Miller's battery, Washington arhe bridge having been destroyed by the enemy in their retreat. Early on the morning of the twenty-third, Lieutenants C. R. Howard and H. T. Rogers, engineers on General Hill's staff, commenced to b
pi to Bayou Sara, crossing the Mississippi at that point on the night of the twenty-third, and moving directly upon the enemy's works at Port Hudson — a distance of fin body of the army had moved from Cloutreville, at half past 4 A. M. on the twenty-third, to the river. They drove in the enemy's pickets three miles in advance ommand had sharp skirmishing with the advance of the enemy in our rear on the twenty-third. At two o'clock on the morning of the twenty-fourth, six guns were fired plated movement upon our front and rear failed. During the morning of the twenty-third, an effort had been made by a portion of the cavalry under Colonel E. J. Dav, across the Saline River, at a point where he attempted to cross. On the twenty-third and twenty-fourth he encountered a force of the enemy about one thousand fivor Wickham Hoffman, Assistant-Adjutant General: On the morning of the twenty-third instant, at twelve o'clock, after having just completed, with my division, a mar