Browsing named entities in Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 10. (ed. Frank Moore). You can also browse the collection for 26th or search for 26th in all documents.

Your search returned 24 results in 10 document sections:

s, eighty-one, noes, twenty-two. In the Senate, on the twenty-sixth, Mr. Wilson made a report from the Committee of Conferertment, and for other purposes. In the House, on the twenty-sixth, Mr. Olin, of New-York, moved the reference of the billan amendment. It was taken up for consideration on the twenty-sixth. It proposed to abolish the corps of topographical eng. Olin, was referred to the Military Committee. On the twenty-sixth, Mr. McPherson, from that Committee, reported it back wthout a division. The House of Representatives, on the twenty-sixth, passed it unanimously; and the President approved it oion, and it passed unanimously. In the House, on the twenty-sixth, the resolution, on motion of Mr. Eliot, of Massachusetnimously adopted. The House of Representatives, on the twenty-sixth, passed it unanimously, and it was approved by the Presndiana, and Mr. Johnson managers on its part. On the twenty-sixth, Mr. Wilson, from the committee of conference, reported
nt, I proceeded with the McDonough, Hale, and Vixen, to and up the South Edisto River, as far as Governor Aiken's plantation, on Jehossee Island, at which point I landed the marines and two howitzers on field carriages, who were ordered to cross the plantation to a point as near Willstown as they could get. I sent a boat to the point agreed upon with General Birney, with the expectation of communicating with him, but was disappointed, no vidette having been found. On the morning of the twenty-sixth, at thirty-five minutes past seven, I opened with the howitzers on Willstown, and in the supposed direction of the battery, which we afterwards discovered from the window of one of the mills, but entirely out of range. As soon as the fog lifted, the vessels were ordered up as far as it was deemed prudent to go, and fire opened at half past 11 in the direction of the battery and houses at Willstown, by the rifle guns of the McDonough and Hale. After firing for a couple of hours orders we
y capture I was taken to Camp Call, the headquarters of my captor, Captain Dickerson, by whom I was very kindly treated, together with my officers and crew. On the morning of the twenty-fourth, at eleven A. M., he gave to the officers a wagon, and to the wounded a. wagon, to transport them to Gainsville. The privates were compelled to march, but the officer in command made frequent halts, in order that the men might not become too fatigued. We reached Gainsville on the morning of the twenty-sixth, and remained until that of the twenth-seventh, when we were placed in passenger cars and conveyed to Lake City, at which place we arrived at twelve P. M. We remained here until the following morning, when we took passage in a box-car for Madison, (all the negroes and Captain Daniels remaining behind,.) which place we reached at about nine A. M. Transportation was procured for our baggage, and we commenced a wearisome march for Quitman, which place we reached on the evening of the ensuing
miles, were obliged to spend the whole long night in picking their way through the darkness back to the main column, which they reached just as it was about to move. It consequently became imperatively necessary to rest a day in camp. On the twenty-sixth, the little army was again in motion. Arriving at the place where the Indians had been encamped, there, and for miles beyond, large stores of dried meat, tallow, cooking utensils, buffalo robes, &c., were found and burned. This loss will be hill, where a pond of fresh water and grass were found. Lieutenant Freeman's and Murphy's and Starr's bodies were buried at Camp Sidney, below the hill. Doctor Weiser's was buried at Camp Whitney, on the hill. The march was resumed on the twenty-sixth, and Dead Buffalo Lake reached about noon. The Indians were seen in the distance advancing towards us. It was not known that there was any good camping-place within reach that day ahead, and it was decided to go into camp on the lake. Lieu
relative inferiority in numbers. The transparent object of the Federal commander had been to cut off my resources by destroying the Mobile and Ohio, and the Memphis and Charleston railroads. This was substantially foiled by the evacuation and withdrawal along the line of the former road; and, if followed by the enemy, remote from his base, I confidently anticipated opportunity for resumption of the offensive, with chances for signal success. Under these plain conditions, on the twenty-sixth ult., I issued verbally several orders, copies of which are herewith, marked A, B, and C, partially modified subsequently, as will be seen by the papers, &c., herewith, marked D, E, F, and G. These orders were executed, I am happy to say, with singular precision, as will be found fully admitted in the correspondence, from the scene, of the Chicago Tribune, herewith transmitted. At the time finally prescribed, the movement commenced, and was accomplished without the knowledge of the enemy
r, I would refer you to the inclosed reports of Colonel Kennett, and Colonels Zahn and Minty. On the morning of the twenty-sixth, our cavalry first encountered the enemy on the Nolensville pike, one mile in advance of Balle Jack Pass; their cavalre recent operations against the enemy's forces in the vicinity of Triune and Murfreesboro: On the morning of the twenty-sixth ult., in compliance with instructions received from the General commanding the right wing, I broke up camp at St. James'ood's report. Nashville, Tenn., January 6, 1863. Major Lyne Starling, Chief of Staff: On the morning of the twenty-sixth ult., the left. wing of the Fourteenth army corps broke up its encampment in the vicinity of Nashville, and moved towardextended its operations up to our outposts, and as we had been compelled, some days previous to the movement on the twenty-sixth ult., to fight for the greater part of the forage consumed by our animals, it was supposed we would meet with resistance
ch batteries as bear upon their working parties and lines — an attempt in which, I have reason to think, we have been to a considerable extent successful. The condition of the new batteries is known to the commanding General, and will be mentioned in the succeeding report. The garrisons of Batteries Wagner and Gregg have been relieved as regularly as possible with our means of transportation. On the twenty second Brigadier-General Taliaferro relieved Brigadier-General Hagood. On the twenty-sixth Brigadier-General Colquitt relieved Brigadier-General Taliaferro. Brigadier-General Colquitt was relieved on the twenty-eighth by Brigadier-General Clingman, and the latter officer was relieved on the first of August by Colonel L. M. Keitt. The fire from the land batteries of the enemy upon Batteries Wagner and Gregg has been annoying, especially upon our communication by steamer between Fort Sumter and Cummins' Point. The casualties which have occurred from the twentieth to the thirt
the Secretary of War had written a strong letter, suggesting, advising, and urging it. Thus encouraged, on the twenty-sixth of June, I proceeded to Clarendon, and assumed command of the expedition. From unavoidable necessity, consequent upon rain, high water, and wretched roads, General Price's command did not reach its rendezvous for four days after the day fixed, thus giving the enemy abundant notice of my approach. General Fagan arrived at his place of rendezvous (Clarendon), on the twenty-sixth. As soon as the troops were in position, I proceeded towards Helena by converging roads, and reached Allan Polk's house, five miles from Helena, on the morning of July third. Having received full, accurate, and reliable information of the forces and fortifications of the enemy in Helena, and the topography of the surrounding country, I here made the final disposition for the attack. That information disclosed that the place was very much more difficuit of access, and the fortificatio
otilla below, under flag of truce, and negotiate for a surrender under the terms offered us by Commander Porter, on the 26th inst., and which had previously been declined. April 28. A small boat was procured, and Lieutenant Morse, Post-Adjutant, ent down to communicate with the enemy below, and to carry a written offer of surrender under the terms offered on the 26th instant. (See at. tached Document V.) This communication brought up the Harriet Lane and three other gunboats opposite the fot. Philip, April 27, 1862. Commodore D. D. Porter, U. S. Navy, commanding Mortar Fleet: Sir: Your letter of the twenty-sixth instant, demanding the surrender of these forts, has been received. In reply thereto, I have to state that no official decided to accept the terms of surrender of these forts, under the conditions offered by you in your letter of the twenty-sixth instant, viz.: that the officers and men shall be paroled — officers retiring with their side-arms. We have no control ov
. Respectfully forwarded. The reply of Brigadier-General Mouton approving the views of General Green as to turning the fort was not received by the latter officer until the attack had been made. R. Taylor, Major-General commanding. Report of Brigadier-General Green. headquarters First cavalry brigade, camp on La Fourohe, near Para Court, July 8, 1863. Major Louis Bush, A. A. General, Thibodeaux: Major: In accordance with the order of General Mouton, commanding, of the twenty-sixth ultimo, dated at Thibodeauxville, commanding me to take possession of the Federal fort at Donaldsonville, I took up the line of march from Thibodeaux about eight o'clock at night, with Hardeman's, Shannon's, and Herbert's regiments of my brigade, and Lane, Stone, and Phillips, of Colonel Major's brigade, and Semmes' battery. After marching the entire night, I encamped in nine miles of the fort, about sunrise the next morning. During the twenty-seventh I rested our jaded troops and horses