Browsing named entities in Admiral David D. Porter, The Naval History of the Civil War.. You can also browse the collection for January 12th or search for January 12th in all documents.

Your search returned 2 results in 2 document sections:

Admiral David D. Porter, The Naval History of the Civil War., Chapter 50: Second attack on Fort Fisher. (search)
and to confide in his judgment, as he was an officer who had the nerve to carry out anything he might propose. Had the Admiral been shown these orders, Terry and himself would have understood each other at once; but we do not think the General appreciated the Navy until after the capture of Fort Fisher, when he saw the fruits of its labors, and witnessed the unselfish sincerity with which all worked for the public good. It was arranged that the fleet should sail from Beaufort on the 12th of January. This was done — the Navy sailing in three lines, the Army transports in another. Terry preserved quite as good order among his vessels, in the matter of sailing, as the Admiral did with his — which is saying a great deal. At 8 o'clock A. M., on the 13th of January, 1865, the Navy commenced to land General Terry's troops, batteries and provisions, and by 2 o'clock there were 8,000 troops on shore, with all their stores and munitions-of-war. The Admiral then got underway, making si
Admiral David D. Porter, The Naval History of the Civil War., Chapter 52: operations about Charleston, 1865.--fall of Charleston, Savannah, etc. (search)
en sunk were the three iron-clads, Chicora, Palmetto, and Charleston, all of which had been fired and blown up on the day we entered. The Chicora alone is visible in any part, and that only a few inches of the casemate at low water. Up a small creek was found a fourth iron-clad, the Columbia, of the same size as the Charleston, but plated with six (6) inches of iron; a new well-built vessel, just ready for service It seems that about a month before the entrance of the Union forces (January 12), the vessel had been docked in the creek above the city, and in getting her out of the dock she grounded. The rebels seem to have begun to extricate the vessel, but had not sufficient time before they abandoned Charleston. Why she was not destroyed is difficult to conceive, as they sank the three that were in service, and burned two new iron-clads that were not completed. This vessel was fully ready for service, even guns mounted, which, it was said, were taken out after grounding, and