Browsing named entities in Admiral David D. Porter, The Naval History of the Civil War.. You can also browse the collection for January 15th or search for January 15th in all documents.

Your search returned 2 results in 2 document sections:

Admiral David D. Porter, The Naval History of the Civil War., Chapter 50: Second attack on Fort Fisher. (search)
sessed by the rebels. I am, sir, very respectfully, your obedient servant, Charles Steedman, Captain. Rear-Admiral D. D. Porter, Commanding North Atlantic Squadron, Flag-ship Malvern. Report of Captain L. L. Dawson, United States Marine Corps. Marine Barracks, New York, February 15, 1865. Admiral — I have the honor to make the following report of the part taken by the marines under my command in the recent assault upon Fort Fisher: Upon landing, on the morning of the 15th of January, I found all the men that were to constitute the assaulting column on shore. There were about three hundred and sixty-five (365) men in line, exclusive of Lieutenant Fagan, who had been ordered by Captain Breese to occupy a rifle-pit off to the right, near the army advance, before I had reached the shore. I hastily divided the line into four (4) companies, under command of Captain Butler, First-Lieutenant Wallace, First-Lieutenant Corrie and First-Lieutenant Parker, giving First-Lie
Admiral David D. Porter, The Naval History of the Civil War., Chapter 52: operations about Charleston, 1865.--fall of Charleston, Savannah, etc. (search)
ce, when this was suspected, an order was given to put down several lines of them. Woods and Thompson placed sixteen (16) of them in the vicinity of the rope obstructions, between Sumter and Moultrie, and seven (7) at the entrance of the Hog Island Channel. Others were directed to be laid down from Fort Johnson to Castle Pinckney, which seems to have been deferred until the attack began. One of those near the obstructions was encountered by the Monitor Patapsco, on the night of the 15th of January, when, in the expectation of co-operating with General Sherman, I had ordered a vigorous effort to be made to remove the rope obstructions, and the picket Monitors covered the boats so engaged. It seems that the work of placing these torpedoes had been completed that very night, and the Patapsco went down, with two-thirds of her crew, almost immediately on being struck, being at the time about six hundred (600) yards from Sumter. Immediately after entering the harbor of Charleston