Browsing named entities in Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events, Diary from December 17, 1860 - April 30, 1864 (ed. Frank Moore). You can also browse the collection for February 6th or search for February 6th in all documents.

Your search returned 9 results in 8 document sections:

February 6. No entry for February 6, 1861.
February 2. Lieutenant-Colonel White's cavalry encountered a force of Lincoln's infantry in Morgan County, Tenn., on the mountain side. The Lincoln force was estimated at from one hundred to three hundred. White charged upon the enemy. Captain Duncan rallied his men twice, when he was shot through the head and killed by J. Roberts, a lad fifteen years old. The Kentucky Unionists were then completely routed and fled in confusion, leaving seven of their dead upon the field.--Norfolk Day Book, February 6. The bark Trinity left Boston, Mass., to-day, for Fortress Monroe, Va., with three hundred and eighty-six rank and file, and eleven officers, from Fort Warren, in Boston harbor, to be exchanged for an equal number of National soldiers in the hands of the rebels.--N. Y. Herald, February 3.
afternoon a skirmish occurred near the banks of the Occoquan, on the Potomac, Va. It was reported in the morning that a body of rebels was at Pohick Church. Captain Lowing, of the Third Michigan regiment, then on picket-duty in front of General Heintzelman's Division, took thirty-four men, under command of Lieutenant Brennan, from Company F, and forty-four under Lieutenant Bryan, from Company H, and went to meet them. Arriving at Pohick Church, no rebels were seen. The party, however, proceeded to the banks of the Occoquan, opposite the town of that name. Arriving there early in the afternoon, a few unarmed men were observed drilling. They gave the alarm, when a number of rebels came from the houses and fired on the National soldiers. A brisk skirmish took place. Four of the rebels were seen to fall, and were carried off by their comrades. No injury was sustained by the National party, except by one man, who was slightly bruised by a spent ball.--Baltimore American, February 6.
Mass., this evening, in behalf of Colonel Corcoran, confined at Richmond, Va. Mayor Wightman presided and made one of a number of speeches. Letters from several distinguished men were read, and strong resolutions were adopted.--N. Y. Tribune, February 6. The funeral of Adjutant George F. Hodges, of the Eighteenth regiment Massachusetts volunteers, who died of fever at Hall's Hill, Va., on the thirtieth of January, took place this afternoon at Roxbury, Mass.--Boston Traveller, February 5. The Fourteenth regiment, Maine volunteers, under command of Colonel Wickerson, arrived at Boston, Mass., to-night from Augusta, Me., and were quartered in Faneuil Hall. They were attached to General Butler's expedition.--N. Y. Times, February 6. Her Majesty, Queen Victoria, this day removed the prohibitions subsisting under her majesty's royal proclamations of the thirtieth day of November, and the fourth day of December, 1861, on the exportation out of the United Kingdom, or carrying
February 6. Fort Henry, on the Tennessee River, was taken by the squadron of gunboats, commanded by Flag-Officer A. H. Foote. In consequence of the efforts of the enemy to reenforce the garrison, information of which had been received by General Grant, that officer determined, last night, to attack the fort to-day, although his troops had not then come up, and he issued orders accordingly. The First division, under General McClernand, was ordered to move at eleven o'clock this morning, and occupy the roads leading to Dover and Donelson, for the purpose of cutting off the retreat of the garrison, as well as to prevent the enemy from throwing reenforcements into the fort. The First and Second brigades of the Second division were ordered to take and occupy the high grounds on the west bank of the river, which commanded the works. The Third brigade of the Second division was ordered to advance up the eastern bank of the river, as rapidly as possible, and to hold itself in re
February 6. A detachment from companies H and F, of the Fifth New York cavalry, under the command of Captain Penfield, made a raid into Middleburgh, Va., and at Aldie captured eight of the First Virginia rebel cavalry, and the post-master at Little Washington. They were en route to a ball given to them by the citizens of that; place, and were fully armed and equipped.--The rebel Colonel Cushman, the celebrated cotton-burner, was arrested at his residence, near Ripley, Tenn., and taken to Columbus.--Cincinnati Gazette. A party of the Twelfth Virginia rebel cavalry, attacked the mail-coach between Martinsburgh and Winchester, Va., this afternoon, and captured the driver and occupants of the coach, Brigadier-General Cluseret's assistant adjutant-general and aid-de-camp among the number. The aid managed to escape, and reported the affair to General Milroy, who immediately ordered out two companies of the First New York cavalry to cut off their retreat. Companies A and K, com
February 6. The English steamer Dee was discovered ashore and on fire, at a point one mile south of Masonboro Inlet, N. C., by the National gunboat Cambridge. Finding it impossible to extinguish the flames or get her off, Commander Spicer, of the Cambridge, abandoned the attempt, and still further destroyed her by firing into her.--Admiral Lee's Report. The Sixteenth army corps, General Hurlbut, and Seventeenth corps, General McPherson, under orders of Major-General Sherman, entered Jackson, Miss., the enemy offering but little resistance.--(Doc. 122.) A party of Yankees went to Windsor, in Bertie County, N. C., in boats, while another party landed on the Roanoke River, eight miles below, and marched on the town, where they made a junction with those that went up in boats. They burned up some meat, destroyed some salt, and carried off the Rev. Cyrus Walters, of the Episcopal Church, and several others. They attacked Captain Bowers's camp, and routed the small force
February 8. The expedition sent by General Butler, with the object of making a sudden dash into Richmond, Va., and releasing the Union prisoners confined there, returned, having been unsuccessful. The following are the facts of the affair: On Saturday morning, February sixth, General Butler's forces, under command of Brigadier-General Wistar, marched from Yorktown by the way of New Kent Court-House. The cavalry arrived at half-past 2 o'clock yesterday morning at Bottom's Bridge, across the Chickahominy, ten miles from Richmond, for the purpose of making a raid into Richmond, and endeavoring, by a surprise, to liberate the prisoners there. The cavalry reached the bridge at the time appointed, marching, in sixteen hours and a half, forty-seven miles. A force of infantry followed in their rear, for the purpose of supporting them. It was expected to surprise the enemy at Bottom's Bridge, who had had for some time only a small picket there. The surprise failed, because, as the