Browsing named entities in Thomas Wentworth Higginson, Harvard Memorial Biographies. You can also browse the collection for February 9th or search for February 9th in all documents.

Your search returned 4 results in 4 document sections:

Thomas Wentworth Higginson, Harvard Memorial Biographies, 1842. (search)
h is doing finely. This to his staff; and subsequently in the drill, when we were the only regiment which went through an important movement all right, in a tone to be heard all over the field, Very well done, that Massachusetts regiment on the left. These are little things, to be sure, but they are gratifying to officers and men. One great thing we have gained, and that is in the gratification experienced by the men, who have their regimental pride stimulated immensely. . . . . February 9.—We had made up our minds to a lively enterprise with danger in it, but one likely to be successful, and give us a little reputation; and now, after a week tied up to the levee, we are on our way down to Carrolton .... February 23.—I find plenty to do in camp, and am never so contented as when attending to my duties here. As to the absurd twaddle about the Union as it was, I am astonished that men of sense can indulge in such ridiculous nonsense. It is infernal humbug, all of it
Thomas Wentworth Higginson, Harvard Memorial Biographies, 1854. (search)
ts Cavalry, of which he was appointed Colonel. This work kept him in the neighborhood of Boston through the winter and spring of 1862-63. During this winter, the first regiment of negroes raised in the North was projected by the government of Massachusetts. Colonel Lowell was strongly interested in the success of this movement, and he aided it with his counsel and his influence. He was heartily pleased with the selection of Colonel Shaw as its leader. It is very important, he writes (February 9), that the regiment should be started soberly, and not spoilt by too much fanaticism. Shaw is not a fanatic. While Colonel Lowell was engaged in organizing the Second Cavalry a serious mutiny broke out, on the 9th of April, at barracks under the recruiting-office in Boston, where one company of the regiment was quartered. The men rushed on their officers with drawn swords. Colonel Lowell went to the barracks, and by his force of character and resolute coolness succeeded in restoring
Thomas Wentworth Higginson, Harvard Memorial Biographies, 1860. (search)
achting voyage. Though the mast might go by the board at any minute, he had still an eye for the ludicrous, and a cheeriness which nothing could discourage. He was at once transferred to the flag-ship of Commodore Goldsborough, commanding the naval forces in the Sounds, to afford the means of communication between the land and naval forces,—--a distinction which shows how fully he had mastered his difficult art. Let him now speak for himself. off Roanoke Island, North Carolina, February 9. my dear mother,—My last letter left me on board the schooner Colonel Patterly, having just arrived in Hatteras Inlet. From thence I was transferred on board Commodore Goldsborough's flag-ship, to act as signal officer on his staff. I cannot describe to you the change from the dirty quarters and short rations of the schooner to the elegant cabin and table of the Commodore. Our mess consists of the flag-officer, Captain Case, and three naval officers. The day after we came on board
Thomas Wentworth Higginson, Harvard Memorial Biographies, 1861. (search)
, and any quantity of dolphins. The Colonel Satterly arrived safely at Hatteras, and reported to General Burnside on January 28th, and found the whole fleet there, except two vessels which were lost. He was now quartered upon the Philadelphia, the flagship of Commodore Goldsborough, as signal officer. He went on board the gunboat Southfield on February 6th, Commodore Goldsborough having transferred his flag to that vessel for the attack on Roanoke Island. He writes as follows on February 9th, after the battle of Roanoke Island, his first engagement:— We went on board the Southfield last Thursday morning at daylight, and expected to be within gunshot in about an hour, as we were only about ten miles from Roanoke Island. But it came on to rain, and we were obliged to anchor and lie by all night. Friday morning it was foggy, but about ten it cleared off, and we got under way. In about half an hour we were in full sight of everything. . . . . We fired our first shot at ab