Browsing named entities in Admiral David D. Porter, The Naval History of the Civil War.. You can also browse the collection for March 25th or search for March 25th in all documents.

Your search returned 4 results in 4 document sections:

Admiral David D. Porter, The Naval History of the Civil War., Chapter 10: naval engagement at South-West pass.--the Gulf blockading squadron in November, 1861. (search)
onfederate forts and guns it was not possible then. These difficulties in carrying out his plans for the relief of Sumter, induced Mr. Fox to go in person to Charleston to see if he could not ascertain by the visit something that would strengthen his argument. He also wished if possible to visit Major Anderson. In consequence, with the consent of the President, Secretary of War and General Scott, he proceeded by way of Richmond and Wilmington to Charleston and arrived there on the 25th of March. At that time there was a general feeling in Charleston and thereabout that the Government had concluded to give up Fort Sumter without an attempt to retain it. On Mr. Fox's arrival in Charleston he sought an interview with Lieut. Hartstene, formerly of the U. S. Navy, and stated to him his desire to visit Major Anderson, and Hartstene in consequence introduced him to Governor Pickens, to whom he showed the orders under which he acted. Governor Pickens directed Lieut. Hartstene to
Admiral David D. Porter, The Naval History of the Civil War., Chapter 41: the Red River expedition, under Major-General N. P. Banks, assisted by the Navy under Rear-Admiral David D. Porter. (search)
o hang the courier as a Yankee spy, when the latter, to show his good faith, led the supposed Confederate troops right into the enemy's camp, which was captured with 22 officers, 260 privates, 4 pieces of artillery, 150 horses, and all the arms and munitions. Had there been an opportunity to capture the other outlying parties, General Mower would have accomplished it, but the Confederate commander-in-chief was a wary old soldier, disposed to act on the defensive. It was not until the 25th of March that General Banks' infantry commenced arriving under the command of General Franklin. It was as fine a body of troops as were ever seen, and the best dressed and equipped of any soldiers in the Southwest. Notwithstanding a march of twenty-one miles, they came in quite fresh and full of spirits. But more than a week of valuable time had been lost since the 17th instant, the day on which General Banks promised to meet the Navy at Alexandria, and the conclusion arrived at was that the
Admiral David D. Porter, The Naval History of the Civil War., Chapter 42: Red River expedition.--continued. (search)
rts under General A. J. Smith, and the marine brigade under General Ellet, with the gunboats, moved to Alexandria, which was occupied without opposition on the 16th of the same month. General Lee, of my command, arrived at Alexandria on the morning of the 19th. The enemy, in the meantime, continued his retreat in the direction of Shreveport. Officers of my staff were at Alexandria on the 19th, and I made my headquarters there on the 24th, the forces under General Franklin arriving on the 25th and 26th of March; but as the stage of the water in Red River was too low to admit the passage of the gun-boats or transports over the Falls, the troops encamped near Alexandria, General Smith and his command moving forward 21 miles to Bayou Rapides, above Alexandria. There was but six feet of water in the channel, while seven and a-half were necessary for the second class and ten feet for the first-class gunboats. The river is narrow, the channel tortuous, changing with every rise, making
Admiral David D. Porter, The Naval History of the Civil War., chapter 48 (search)
l hands. Captain Semmes, for his part, was quite satisfied with the mischief he had wrought, estimating that he had destroyed or driven for protection under the British flag, one-half of the United States vessels engaged in trade with English ports. Still greater damage was done to American trade with other nations. Commerce with the South American States was practically broken up, and that on the Pacific, including the important whale fishery, greatly crippled. Semmes left Cape Town March 25th, the Alabama keeping in the fair way leading from the Cape of Good Hope to the equatorial region where the Confederate cruisers had been so successful, shortening sail from day to day and tacking to and fro in the high-way, but for some time the American flag was nowhere to be seen among the numerous vessels passing on their way. At last an unlucky Yankee was reported, and although he made all sail and handled his ship with great skill, the Alabama overtook the fugitive. She proved to be