Browsing named entities in Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 8. (ed. Frank Moore). You can also browse the collection for April 20th or search for April 20th in all documents.

Your search returned 2 results in 2 document sections:

Doc. 125.-fight near cotton plant, Ark. Missouri Democrat account. Duvall's Bluff, Ark., camp Eighth Missouri cavalry volunteers, April 25, 1064. on the morning of April twentieth, detachments of companies A, B, C, E, F, H, I, L, and M of this regiment, about two hundred and fifty men, left this place under command of Lieutenant-Colonel J. W. Lisenby, and arrived at Cotton Plant at ten o'clock next morning. Here we learned that two hundred guerrillas had left the town the day before. We resumed the march at eleven o'clock, and at dark halted and sent a small party to reconnoitre. Sergeant Major was informed that the rebs knew our designs, and had formed in line on both sides of the road. Upon this we marched back a mile; and cooked, as we had scarcely eaten the day before. The next morning, at day-break, the rebs commenced a vigorous attack on our pickets. We mounted, formed, and rode out to meet the enemy. Company E, commanded by Captain William J. Bodenhamer, (a
xandria, and I ordered the large vessels at once below the bars with orders to proceed slowly to Alexandria, keeping with me six of the lighter-draught vessels to cover the land forces, and give protection to the transports. The day after my return to Grand Ecore, orders were issued for the army to move to Alexandria. The Eastport was not yet afloat, and I thought our chance of saving her very small, unless we were certain of having no enemy to annoy us after the army left. On the twentieth of April I went down to the Eastport again, and after informing the commander how matters stood, we concluded that it was necessary to run some risks, if we wished to save the vessel. She was now slightly resting on the bottom on one side, and steam had been raised on her. On the twenty-first she started in tow of the pump-boat, Champion Number Five, and with the pump of Champion Number Three transferred to the Eastport, and connected with her boilers. This arrangement, with the addition o