Browsing named entities in William Schouler, A history of Massachusetts in the Civil War: Volume 1. You can also browse the collection for July 28th or search for July 28th in all documents.

Your search returned 6 results in 4 document sections:

The chaplain read the Declaration of Independence, Colonel Lawrence made a speech, and the Star-spangled Banner was sung. On the 16th of July, the regiment was put in General Franklin's brigade, and soon after advanced towards Bull Run. The Fifth bore an honored part in that disastrous battle, which was fought on the 21st of July, exactly three months from the day the regiment left Faneuil Hall. In this battle, Colonel Lawrence was slightly wounded. The regiment left Washington on the 28th of July, and arrived in Boston on the 30th, having been in service three months and seven days. Its reception in Boston was worthy of its military record. The famous Sixth Regiment arrived at Philadelphia, as we have already stated, on the afternoon of the 18th of April. This regiment has the undisputed honor of having been the first to reach Washington, and the first to sacrifice life in the great war. Its passage through Baltimore, a city of two hundred thousand inhabitants, more than half
o one can fully realize the grandeur of the army, and the magnitude of the Rebellion, who never visited Washington in the years when it was being fought. On or about the 20th of July, the Governor despatched Colonel Ritchie, of his personal staff, to the James River, to make a personal examination into the condition of the Massachusetts regiments in General McClellan's army, which had fallen back from before Richmond to the James River, near Harrison's Landing and Malvern Hill. On the 28th of July, Colonel Ritchie had reached Harrison's Bar, James River, Va., where he wrote a long and interesting letter to the Governor. It appears that Colonel Ritchie went by way of Washington, where he found General Burnside, who had been summoned from North Carolina to a consultation with General Halleck; and they both left, that same day, for this place, to confer with General McClellan. This move on the part of General Halleck was intended to be kept a great secret, and he left Willard's alm
o mind a dozen cases during the entire period of the war. The Governor having heard a report that BrigadierGen-eral Couch intended to resign his commission in the army in consequence of injustice done him, wrote a strong, friendly letter, dissuading him from his purpose. The letter was sent to Harrison's Landing, Va., and did not reach General Couch, as he had come home to Massachusetts on short leave, to regain his health and strength. The Governor therefore wrote him again, on the 28th of July, representing to him the great need our country has of all good officers and patriots, and assuring him that his fame as a soldier was not to be tarnished by official neglect or oversight, however hard to bear. It would give me, the Governor says, and all my staff, great pleasure to be assured you have no intention of leaving the army till this war is ended. General Couch had raised the Seventh Regiment of Massachusetts Volunteers, and was commissioned the colonel of it. Whether he in
Massachusetts furnished five regiments of one hundred days men, under this call. They were,—the Fifth Regiment of Infantry, Colonel Peirson, which left the State July 28, and was stationed at Fort Marshall, in the vicinity of Baltimore; the Sixth Regiment of Infantry, Colonel Follansbee, which was sent forward July 20, and was detinguished gentlemen who made his deposit of money was Hon. Edward Everett. We find, on the files of the Governor, a letter addressed by him to Mr. Everett, dated July 28, as follows:— I beg to acknowledge the receipt of your check on the New England Bank for one hundred and twenty-five dollars, with which to procure the serv the payment of bounties, was a source of much regret, and the cause, in a great measure, of the plan not succeeding as well as its friends expected. On the 28th of July, the Governor received a telegram from Major-General John J. Peck, commanding the Department of the East, headquarters New-York City, stating that there was da