Browsing named entities in Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events, Diary from December 17, 1860 - April 30, 1864 (ed. Frank Moore). You can also browse the collection for July 29th or search for July 29th in all documents.

Your search returned 8 results in 7 document sections:

the command of the National forces on the upper Potomac, was issued to-day.--(Doc. 106.) General Cadwallader of the Pennsylvania Volunteers, was honorably discharged from the service of the United States.--General Order, War Department, No. 46. Brigadier-General John Pope, commanding the National troops in Northern Missouri, issued a proclamation to the people of that district, warning all persons taken in arms against the Federal authority, who attempt to commit depredations, or who molest peaceful citizens, that they will be dealt with, without awaiting civil process. --(Doc. 107.) In general orders of this date, Maj.-Gen. McClellan expresses his satisfaction with and confidence in the soldiers of his command, the Army of the West; and recapitulates their recent exploits.--(Doc. 108.) All of the vessels previously reported as prizes to the privateer Sumter, and by her sent into a Cuban port, were liberated by the Captain-General of Cuba.--N. Y. Express, July 29.
of the city was present, and manifested the deepest sorrow. The bells were tolled and minute guns were fired during the march of the column. A salute of three rounds was fired by the infantry and artillery over the grave.--Charleston Mercury, July 29. Last night the steamer W. I. Maclay, Capt. Conway, bound from Cincinnati for St. Louis, Mo., was fired into at Cape Girardeau. The Maclay had landed at Cape Girardeau to discharge freight and passengers, and had no trouble whatever with aboat Dale, of twenty guns, at once went up from Old Point. The Albatross and Penguin were also stationed there, while the Minnesota and seven gunboats at Old Point are ready to assist should Newport News really be attacked.--Baltimore American, July 29. Thanksgiving day was celebrated in the Confederate States, for the success of our arms and the deliverance of our homes from the menacing hordes that have hung upon our borders like wolves upon the outskirts of the forest. We are pleased
July 29. An engagement took place at Aquia Creek, Va., to-day. Four vessels of the Potomac flotilla opened the attack by firing shot and shell at a new battery which had been erected by the rebels. Several of the shells fell and exploded into a camp of rebels near the battery. The rebels returned the fire with considerable vigor from rifled cannon, but caused little damage, as their range was too high. The engagement lasted three hours, during which time the flotilla was struck but by one shot, which, however, inflicted no personal injury.--N. Y. Commercial Advertiser, July 31. Captain Wm. P. Allen, of the Eleventh Massachusetts Regiment, E. P. Doherty, of the New York Seventy-first, and Orlando Waldorf, Second Wisconsin, arrived in Washington city, having escaped from Sudley Church, Va., where they were detained as prisoners. The sentinel fell asleep, and they leaped from a window and escaped to the woods. They reached the Potomac, which they forded, fourteen miles
schooner Louisa Reeves, of New York, laden with forage for the army of the Potomac, was this day captured and burned by a party of rebel troops, at Coggins's Point, James River, Va. A skirmish took place near Patten, Missouri, between a company of the Tenth battalion of State militia, under Major Chevreaux, and two hundred guerrillas, in which the latter were defeated and put to flight, with a loss of twenty-five killed and wounded. The National loss was three wounded.--St. Louis News, July 29. Yesterday the towns of Van Buren, Lysander and Marcellus, N. Y., subscribed four thousand five hundred dollars to aid in raising a regiment under the call of President Lincoln for more troops, issued on the first instant, and to-day the Salt Company of Onondaga, N. Y., subscribed ten thousand dollars for the same purpose. A slight skirmish occurred near Young's Cross-Roads, at the head of White Oak River, N. C., between a reconnoitring party of Union troops, under Colonel Heckman
New Brunswick that has advocated the Union cause.--Boston Journal, July 30. Colonel Guitar, of the Ninth Missouri regiment, reinforced by Lieut.--Col. Shaffer and Major Clopper, of Merrill's Horse, and Major Caldwell, of the Third Iowa cavalry, six hundred and fifty strong, were attacked at Moore's Mills, seven miles east of Fulton, Mo., this day, by the rebels Porter and Cobb, nine hundred strong, and after fighting till after four o'clock P..M., the rebels were completely routed, with a loss of from seventy-five to one hundred killed and wounded, and one taken prisoner. Colonel Guitar reports a loss of forty-five killed and wounded. He captured guns, ammunition, baggage, etc., in profusion. The officers and men behaved splendidly. Col. Guitar resumed the pursuit, and followed them over the Jordan.--(Doc. 163.) Jeremiah Hoy, one of the band of rebel guerrillas commanded by Quantrel, was shot at Fort Leavenworth for murder and treason.--Leavenworth Conservative, July 29.
July 29. Major-General Pope, accompanied by his staff, left Washington for the headquarters of his army in the field. Before his departure he ordered that passes to the lines of his forces should not be granted to others than those having official business there.--John Johnson, an alleged rebel officer from New Orleans, was arrested at Roxbury, Mass., and committed to prison.--The English brig Napier was captured by the United States steamer Mystic, while endeavoring to run the blockade of Wilmington, N. C. A skirmish took place at Mount Stirling, Ky., between a number of the citizens of that place and a force of about two hundred and forty rebel guerrillas, resulting in a complete rout of the latter, with a loss of about seventy-five of their number in killed, wounded, and prisoners.--(Doc. 164.) A fight occurred near Bollinger's Mills, Mo., between a force of Union troops, under the command of Captain Whybank, and a body of rebel guerrillas, under Major Tenley, res
July 29. Numerous depredations and outrages having been committed by citizens and rebel soldiers in disguise, harbored and concealed by citizens residing on the route of the Orange and Alexandria Railroad, orders were issued by General Halleck authorizing the arrest of every citizen against whom there was sufficient evidence of his having been engaged in these practices.--A skirmish took place at St. Catherine's Creek, near Natchez, Miss., between a party of rebels belonging to the command of General Logan, and the Seventy-second Illinois regiment, under the command of Captain James, in which the former were routed with a loss of fifty prisoners and seventy-five horses.--A force of rebels, numbering about two thousand, under the command of General Pegram, made an attack upon the National troops at Paris, Ky., and after a severe engagement, lasting over two hours, were repulsed and routed.--the Eighth regiment of Massachusetts volunteers returned to Boston from the seat of war.-