Browsing named entities in William Schouler, A history of Massachusetts in the Civil War: Volume 1. You can also browse the collection for July 29th or search for July 29th in all documents.

Your search returned 7 results in 5 document sections:

st lives sacrificed in its defence. The regiment remained in Washington until the 5th of May, when it was ordered to the Relay House,—a railroad station about ten miles from Baltimore,—where it remained doing guard and picket duty until the 29th of July, when it broke camp and returned to Massachusetts, and arrived in Boston on the 31st of July, after a service of three months and a half. Distinguished honors have been paid this regiment, as the historic regiment of the war. Distinguished April, the regiment was mustered into the United-States service. The regiment remained in Washington until the middle of May, when it was ordered to the Relay House to guard the railroad. It remained there, with changes of detail, until the 29th of July, when it received orders to return home. It arrived in Boston on the 1st of August, where it was honorably received, and addressed by the Mayor of the city. These soldiers received the thanks of the United-States House of Representatives,
eeting on the subject. On the 1st of August, the Governor detailed Colonel William R. Lee, Twentieth Regiment, to establish a camp of rendezvous at Pittsfield, for all recruits who may offer, and be found competent. The United States mustering and disbursing officers in Boston were to furnish such material from their departments as might be necessary. On the 2d of August, the Governor received from Major-General Hooker the following letter, dated Harrison's Landing, James River, Va., July 29; the same being in answer to one written on the 24th, by Governor Andrew:— The fate of Major Chandler is still involved in mystery. I have heard of his having been in Richmond, and also of his having been seen on his way to Boston; but, in tracing up these reports, I regret to say, that I have not been able to satisfy myself that he is still numbered with the living. I may also add, that this is the opinion of his regiment. Major Chandler was a young gentleman of much promise.
my of the Potomac, though not engaged with the enemy, it suffered much for want of tents, clothing, shoes, &c., having failed to supply itself on leaving Newbern, as was supposed, for Massachusetts. The regiment returned to the State on the 29th of July, with clothes tattered and torn, but yet showing they had seen service, and, by their firm tread and manly bearing, that they were ready and willing to do their duty to their country, and to the glorious old flag. It was mustered out of serf over three hundred mounted men. First-Sergeant Ballou, commanding, was severely wounded; one man killed, three wounded. June 21.—The regiment moved to the city of New Orleans, where it took post at the Custom House. From the 14th to the 29th of July, it was on picket duty on the line of the Opelousas Railroad. July 31.—The regiment was ordered North, and arrived at New York Aug. 8, proceeding to Boston, and was mustered out of service at Readville, Aug. 20, 1863. The Forty-third Re
weighing 352 lbs. It was sent from Florida, by Major D. B. Keith, of the Fourth Massachusetts Cavalry. The Governor was absent from the State when it arrived. The box containing it was placed in the basement of the State House, where, after a consultation between the principal officers of the State Government as to how long it would live without eating, the creature was put under a Cochituate water-spout, and turned upon its back. It died before the Governor returned. In a letter, dated July 29, the Governor wrote to Major Keith, in which he said,— When I reached the State House, life was wholly extinct. Feeling sure that you would approve of such a disposal of the remains, I delivered them to Professor Agassiz, consoled by the reflection, that, although no longer available for soup, they would nevertheless promote the advancement of science. In the battle before Petersburg, July 30, among the prisoners taken was Brigadier-General Bartlett, formerly colonel of the Fort
afterwards promoted colonel, and who was brevetted brigadier-general of volunteers for brave and meritorious services in the field. In the latter part of July, Massachusetts was honored with a visit from General Grant and his staff. The Adjutant-General was detailed by Governor Andrew to meet General Grant at Albany, and present to him a written invitation to visit Boston, and to receive the honors and hospitality of the Commonwealth which his great services so well merited. On the 29th of July, the Adjutant-General met General Grant at Greenbush, opposite Albany, and presented to him the Governor's communication. The invitation expressed in it was accepted; and General Grant and staff proceeded immediately, by a special train, which was elaborately decorated, to Boston. The party reached Boston about seven o'clock in the evening. The crowd around the depot of the Worcester Railroad was immense, and the sidewalks of the streets through which the procession passed from there t