Browsing named entities in Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 9. (ed. Frank Moore). You can also browse the collection for November 8th or search for November 8th in all documents.

Your search returned 5 results in 4 document sections:

, the whole of General Morgan's division marched and went into camp at Kingston, and was joined by the remainder of the corps on the of November, where it remained prosecuting its preparations for the grand campaign through Georgia, just closed in the capture of Savannah. While at Kingston, all surplus baggage of every description was sent to the rear, and absent officers and men were ordered to rejoin their commands. I regret to report that many failed to comply with this order. November eighth, General Morgan's division marched to Cartersville, and relieved a portion of the Fifteenth corps at that place. Cartersville had been designated as the point to which a part of the supplies of the Fourteenth corps should be landed, and all trains with the command were ordered there, and loaded by the twelfth, on the evening of which the whole corps evacuating Kingston had concentrated. The work of destroying the railroad from the Etowah River to Big Shanty was assigned to the Fou
rty-first day of August, 1864. On the morning of the second November, 1864, the brigade marched from Rome to Kingston, where it remained until the twelfth. At this place, by order of General Carlin, I assumed command of the brigade on the eighth of November. On the twelfth day of November, my brigade marched from Kingston to Cartersville. The following morning I crossed the Etowah, marched through Allatoona Pass and Ackworth, destroyed two (2) miles of railroad, and camped my troops at Bigte Pine. October twenty-ninth, marched to Rome, sixteen miles, remaining there the thirtieth and thirty-first. November first, marched to Kingston, sixteen miles, remaining there the second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, and seventh. November eighth, left camp at seven A. M., and marched to Cartersville, eleven miles, remaining there during the ninth, tenth, eleventh, and twelfth. November thirteenth, marched at daylight to Ackworth, thirteen miles, destroying the railroad from the E
arried the enemy's works, on the north bank, capturing four pieces of artillery and some sixteen hundred prisoners. Major-General French, commanding the Third, Second, and First corps, marched to Kelly's Ford, where the advance of the Third corps gallantly forced the passage to the ford, taking the enemy's works on the other side and capturing some four hundred prisoners. Finding himself surprised, and the passage of the river secured, the enemy withdrew during the night. The next day, November eighth, the pursuit was begun from Kelly's Ford; but owing to a fog prevailing, preventing Major-General Sedgwick from ascertaining whether the enemy had evacuated his front, the column from Kelly's Ford was obliged to move over to the railroad, to secure the opening of the river at Rappahannock Station. The pursuit was continued to Brandy Station, the cavalry proceeding to Culpeper, where it was ascertained the enemy had retired to his old position on the Rapidan. A position was taken up
l Dana was left in command of this post. As soon as it was possible to provide for the garrison and obtain transportation for the navigation of the river, which occupied four or five days, I moved with all the troops which could be spared from that point for the purpose of occupying the passes on the coast between the Rio Grande and Galveston, intending to complete my original plan by the occupation of Galveston from the coast below, instead of above. Point Isabel was occupied on the eighth of November. By the aid of steamers obtained on the Rio Grande, with the consent of the Mexican government, we were enabled to transport troops to Mustang Island. The troops were under the command of Brigadier-General T. E. G. Ransom, who carried the enemy's works commanding Aransas Pass, after a gallant assault, capturing nearly one hundred prisoners and the artillery with which the place was defended. The troops instantly moved upon Pass Cavallo, commanding the entrance to Matagorda Bay, and