Browsing named entities in Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 8. (ed. Frank Moore). You can also browse the collection for November 20th or search for November 20th in all documents.

Your search returned 5 results in 4 document sections:

mounted cavalry. The victory was decisive, and the enemy's retreat became a total rout. His forces, throwing away their arms, became scattered in every direction. I pursued those that he kept together until after dark. His wounded and many prisoners and arms have fallen into our hands. My loss is about one hundred officers and men. The troops are in excellent spirits, with plenty of ammunition. Wm. W. Averill, Brigadier-General. A national account. New-Creek, West-Virginia, November 20. The brigade of General Averill left their camp at Beverly, at noon, on Saturday, November first The day was clear and warm. We marched to Huttonville, where we camped for the night. At seven o'clock Monday morning we resumed the march. The day was fine — a delightful Indian summer morning — and a march of two miles brought us to the foot of Cheat Mountain. Here are the remains of the rebel works made at the beginning of the war; and here are the marks of the battle that took place
ed from the enemy. During this time the Tennessee River, swollen by rains in the upper country, brought down drift-wood in such quantities, and of such a character, that, on Friday night, or early Saturday morning, the pontoon-bridge at Chattanooga was carried away, and so much of the material lost that it was impossible to re-lay it. On Saturday night the flying ferry at Chattanooga was disabled, and the pontoon-bridge at Brown's Ferry was so injured that it was not re-laid till Tuesday, November twentieth. This left to us for communication only the steamer Dunbar, at Chattanooga, and a horse ferry-boat at Brown's Ferry. On Monday night, however, the flying ferry was repaired and again in operation. Fortunately, the troops had all been placed in position before the disasters, and the only effort was to lull the enemy into security under the idea that no attack could be made with our communication so cut. The fear was, that it would be imposible to throw a bridge across the river
ch cases, a man on a white horse is seen riding along their lines. This mysterious rider, on a phantom horse, appears to be a favorite dodge of the rebels, since all correspondents east and west always observed it on similar occasions. Friday, November 20.--Colonel Pleasant, with a battalion of cavalry, scouted the road east to Boyd's Ferry and Conner's Ford, traversing the roads between, and reports no rebels for six miles up the river. Farmers have come in from Marysville, and our forageell mortally wounded in the action near Philadelphia, Tennessee. Battery Billingsley--Between Gay street and First Creek, in memory of Lieutenant J. Billingsley, Seventeenth Michigan infantry, who fell in action in front of Fort Sanders, November twentieth. Fort Higley--Comprising all the works on the hill west of the railroad embankment, south side of the river, in memory of Captain Joel P. Higley, Seventh Ohio cavalry, who fell in action at Blue Springs, Tennessee, October sixteenth, 186
attery on us, making some very good shots, but doing no damage. Corporal Gilbert, company B, was severely wounded in the right arm by a Minie ball. In the evening we were relieved and moved back through town to the east side. As we passed along the streets by General Burnside's headquarters, the General was standing on the corner of the street, and said: Boys, you have had a hard time for several days, but we will make it all right in a few days. Camped in the east side of town. November twentieth, our brigade moved over to a street leading to the Loudon road. Lay there all day ready to support our force in the rifle-pits and Fort Sanders, should the enemy charge them. They did not charge our works. Constant firing all along the line. At night we returned to camp. November twenty-first, our brigade staid in camp all day. Rained very hard all day. After night the rebels threw several shells into town. Two or three aimed very well at General Burnside's headquarters. Nov