Browsing named entities in Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 11. (ed. Frank Moore). You can also browse the collection for December 2nd or search for December 2nd in all documents.

Your search returned 6 results in 4 document sections:

By an accident to one of the trains the command of Colonel Johnson, of the Forty-fourth United States colored troops, was detained until the morning of the second December, when the train conveying his troops was attacked by the cavalry of the enemy, five miles south of Nashville. I herewith submit Colonel Johnson's report of his encounter with the enemy. On the second day of December I moved my command, by order of the Major-General commanding, into position, and occupied and fortified the ridge between the Murfreesboro and Nolensville pikes, and crossing the Nashville and Chattanooga railroad on Raine's farm. December 3. By order of Major-Geed the command by rail during the night and left Cowan about daylight. Reached Nashville at five P. M., and went into camp in the eastern suburbs of the city. December 2. Moved to the hills near Raine's house and built a strong line of fortifications and a redoubt for the Twentieth Indiana battery (Captain Osborn commanding),
December 2. Moved to the hills near Raine's house and built a strong line of fortifications and a redoubt for the Twentieth Indiana battery (Captain Osborn commanding), which was upon service with my command this day.
. 17. the battle of Nashville. General J. T. Wood's report. headquarters Fourth Army corps, Huntsville, Ala., Jan. 5, 1865. General: The Fourth army corps arrived in the vicinity of Nashville, on the retreat from Pulaski, on the first December ultimo. Major-General D. S. Stanley, having been wounded in the conflict at Franklin, on the thirtieth November, and having received a leave of absence on account of his wound, relinquished, and I assumed, command of the corps on the second of December. So soon as I had assumed command of the corps, I placed it in position as follows, in conformity with orders received from the commanding General of the forces in the field in person: The left of the corps rested on the Casino, and, extending westward across the Granny White and Hilsboro pike, the right rested on the left of the detachment of the Army of the Tennessee (Major-General A. S. Smith's command), midway between the Hilsboro and Harding pikes. As the condition of the forc
ne captured. Our entire loss was two thousand three hundred. This was the first serious opposition the enemy met with, and I am satisfied was the fatal blow to all his expectations. During the night General Schofield fell back toward Nashville. This left the field to the enemy — not lost by battle, but voluntarily abandoned — so that General Thomas' whole force might be brought together. The enemy followed up, and commenced the establishment of his line in front of Nashville on the second of December. As soon as it was ascertained that Hood was crossing the Tennessee river, and that Price was going out of Missouri, General Rosecrans was ordered to send to General Thomas the troops of General A. J. Smith's command, and such other troops as he could spare. The advance of this reinforcement reached Nashville on the thirtieth of November. On the morning of the fifteenth December General Thomas attacked Hood in position, and, in a battle lasting two days, defeated and drove him f