Browsing named entities in Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 8. (ed. Frank Moore). You can also browse the collection for December 18th or search for December 18th in all documents.

Your search returned 2 results in 2 document sections:

back out of reach, and remained silent till about sundown. They began to show themselves on the mountains, trying to move around our flanks. They had managed to get a battery on the mountains on our right, and about sundown began to hand down a few shells. After dark we commenced falling back; passed through Rutledge. December sixteenth, fell back to Blain's Cross-Roads, near the Ruined house. December seventeenth, remained in line of battle; some skirmishing in the front. December eighteenth, our regiment was relieved from the front, and moved to the rear, and went into camp, and was paid off; received two months pay; at night, moved out about five miles to Holston, near McKinney's Ferry, near the mouth of Richland Creek. December nineteenth, came back to Blain's Cross-Roads. Remained here till the twenty-first. Our brigade is about one third dismounted. At two o'clock on the evening of the twenty-first, the mounted part started to Tazewell. On the evening of the t
t of the raiders to capture a railroad train from Alexandria, loaded with large quantities of provisions and forage for the army, which was due at the time. The train happened to be an hour and a half late, and consequently escaped capture. It is quite likely that the rebels committed further outrages upon the railroad beyond Pope Run, of which we have not been informed. This raid revives very forcibly the former exploits of Stuart's cavalry in this line of business. Washington, December eighteenth.--The Star has the following account of the raid: We learn, through despatches received at headquarters of this department, from General Corcoran, that last night company I, of the One Hundred and Fifty-fifth New-York regiment, at Sangster's Station, in the midst of the terrible storm then raging, were attacked by a body of Stuart's rebel cavalry, about one thousand strong, under command of the rebel General Bower, which left Fredericksburgh on Wednesday night last, on this raid.