Browsing named entities in Admiral David D. Porter, The Naval History of the Civil War.. You can also browse the collection for December 25th or search for December 25th in all documents.

Your search returned 6 results in 3 document sections:

Admiral David D. Porter, The Naval History of the Civil War., Chapter 47: operations of South Atlantic Blockading Squadron, under Rear-admiral Dahlgren, during latter end of 1863 and in 1864. (search)
the Confederates considered that the sinking of the Weehawken was due to the shot and shell which they fired at the Lehigh--as they could not tell one from another. Nothing of interest occurred in Dahlgren's command from November 6th up to December 25th, when the Pawnee, Commander G. B. Balch, the Marblehead, Lieuteiiant-Commander R. W. Meade, Jr., and the schooner C. P. Williams, Acting-Master S. N. Freeman, were attacked by Confederate batteries in Stono River. Lieutenant-Commander Meade reports that on December 25th the enemy opened fire on the Marblehead, at 6 o'clock in the morning, from two batteries of field and siege pieces posted advantageously in the woods. At the time mentioned, the Marblehead had steam on the port boiler only. The gun-boat returned the enemy's fire vigorously, and, slipping his cable, Lieutenant-Commander Meade took a position nearer the batteries, and after a short encounter caused them to retreat in disorder, leaving two guns and caissons. No
Admiral David D. Porter, The Naval History of the Civil War., Chapter 49: first attack on Fort Fisher.--destruction of the confederate ram Albemarle, etc. (search)
co and consorts soon silenced. The men were at work at the guns five hours and were glad to get a little rest. They came out of action with rather a contempt for the enemy's batteries, and anxious to renew the battle in the morning. On Christmas Day all the transports had arrived, and General Butler sent General Weitzel to see Admiral Porter, and arrange the programme for the day. It was decided that the Navy should again attack the works, while the Army should land and assault them, if y any adequate body of the Army to assault the fort. It is my opinion that the fire of the fort was completely under the control of the fleet, and that we could stop it whenever we chose, as the fire by the two frigates on the afternoon of December 25th abundantly showed. In fact, the fort was silent nine-tenths of the time that w,. were engaging it. I am furthermore of the opinion that the fort could not hold out against a combined attack of the Army and Navy. I think it a good proof of
Admiral David D. Porter, The Naval History of the Civil War., Chapter 51: effects of the fall of Fort Fisher, and criticisms on General Badeau's military history of General Grant. (search)
e flag from the parapet, and the brave fellow who brought the horse from the fort. I think they would have found it an easier conquest than is supposed. Butler, nevertheless, remained unshaken in his determination, and on the night of the 25th December he embarked all his troops except Curtis' command, when the surf became high and he sailed away, leaving these ashore. They were under cover of the guns of the fleet and they were all safely taken off. On the 27th Butler arrived at Fortre, except 400 of Haygoods, etc. Whatever number arrived before the 27th, they made no attempt to molest Curtis' little band of 500 men, who remained on shore two days after Butler left, with no support except the guns of the fleet. On the 25th of December, therefore, there were only 2,500 men opposed to Butler's 6,500. The garrison was only about 1,600 men. It is true the latter occupied a strong work, but Butler had the most formidable fleet that was ever assembled to cover and protect his