hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 324 results in 120 document sections:

... 7 8 9 10 11 12
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 7., Some old Medford houses and estates. (search)
ouse was built of brick, laid up with clay. What more fitting location could Mr. Cradock's agent have selected than the one shown on the maps above mentioned, close to the river and the ford, on the direct route from Salem to Charlestown? In 1637-8, his agent built a bridge across Mistick river near his residence, as his business in that vicinity required better facilities than could be secured at the ford, where a tidal flow of from nine to twelve feet of water occurred twice in twenty-four of the location of the house being within the limits of the street, and the remaining three-quarters in the lot on the easterly side of said street. On the map is shown a building at the Weares, copied from an old map, made as early as the year 1638. Also the Menotomy Corn Mills, built about the year 1656, which stood in the river on the Charlestown side (now Arlington). The old road from Cambridge to Woburn ran over the milldam. In addition to the list of old houses above mentioned, ther
k was in the habit of providing a housing for his people, of whom there were many working for his interests, as we have shown. This is strengthened by the following affidavit in the Middlesex Court Files. The testimony of Richard Beers, Ben amin Crispe, and Garret Church in 1662 was that Mr. Thomas Mayhew lived at Mystic, alias Meadford, in the year 1636. Nicholas Davison succeeded Mayhew as Cradock's agent. Joseph Hills of Malden, in his affidavit on the same date, stated that about 1638 (not 1633, as Mr. Cushing states) Mr. Davison lived at Meadford house, who shewed me the accommodations of the farme being about to to take ye said farme and stock of him and Captaine Will Ting; and I testify that Mr Mayhew did not then dwell at Meadford house to ye best of my knowledge. In fact, we find that Thomas Maihew was one of the eleven freemen at Watertown to dispose of all civil affairs, October 10, 1636; again, December 30, 1637; again, December 10, 1638. In a letter dated Lo
Mystic river improvements. As we go to press, work is resumed on the Mystic river dam. We record some facts relative thereto, wishing that in 1638 Cradock's men had recorded likewise, also Thomas Broughton, in 1656, when he built his dam up stream. The present is a far cry from the time when Winthrop was the first white man to sail up the Mistick six miles, or Mrs. Dalkin forded the river by a firm grip on her dog's tail. Three years ago some workmen, from a boat, made a series of borings in the river's bed, while some bystanders said it was to let the water run through. These were to ascertain the nature of the ground on which the dam was to be built. The next year contractors began work upon the dam, which with automatic gates is to hold back the incoming tide; the weirs that hold the fresh water of the river at a nearly uniform level; also the boat lock and another span of the bridge. Possibly the test borings did not reveal all there was to know, as the contractors
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 14., The ancient name Menotomy and the river of that name. (search)
imes referred to as the little river, and Little Mystic; as the Mystic river was called the Great river. Little river has remained as the name of the outlet of Spy pond, which was sometimes called Menotomy pond, while Menotomy river was the outlet of Fresh pond. In the Cambridge Town Records, 1630-1703, we find the river called Menotomies, Menotomy, Notomy, and Winattime; in the Proprietors' Records, 1635-1829, it is given Menotomy, Manotomie, and Menotamye; the Commissioners' Records, 1638-1802, give Winotamies, and Menotomies river. Paige calls it Menotomy river, and Wyman refers to Menotomy river no less than forty times between 1637 and 1808, and once to Alewife river, in 1818. Cutter gives Menotomy river, and there have been found in the Middlesex Registry no less than thirty deeds between the years 1646 and 1794, in which Menotomy river is mentioned; it was also referred to as little river or Menottomy river in 1763. Menotomy is the form of spelling used by far the gre
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 15., Some errors in Medford's histories. (search)
ouses, called forts. Josselyn is here mis-quoted. He does not speak of brick houses, nor were there any at that date (1638). It was afterwards the intention of some to unite Mr. Cradock's, Mr. Winthrop's, Mr. Wilson's and Mr. Nowell's lands river. [Register, Vol. 4, P. 71.] Mr. Cradock's Agent (Davison) commenced the building of a bridge over the river in 1638. [P. 59.] This bridge is shown upon a map made in the year 1637, it was finished by order of the General Court in 1639; it was, no doubt, in use in 1638. The bridge was one hundred and fifty-four feet and five inches long and about ten feet wide at that time. The town of Charlestown brought a suit against Mr. Davison for stopping up Mistick river with a bridge, ords of the General Court will reveal the standing of Meadford plantation at the period under consideration. From 1630 to 1638 (both inclusive) Meadford plantation was taxed in the same proportion as were the other plantations of the colony. May 13
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 22., How did Medford get its name? (search)
ce into the limelight of history. Mr. Cradock's farm was a tract of land a mile wide (approximately) and four miles along the riverside from Charlestown, which then extended some fifteen miles north-westward. The Indians that lived there were called Aberginians, and their name comes down to us today, in that of the Aberjona, the upper reach of their river, the tidal stream they called Missi-tuk, which the English tongue called Mistick. That it was the locality is proven by Josselyn, in 1638, as three miles from Charlestown and a league and a half, four and one-half miles, by water i.e., by the winding or circuitous river's course. He applied the name Mistick to the little settlement on the northwest side of the river. So here are three names of one and the same place, all cotemporary: first, Medford, from the colony record; second, Mr. Cradock's farm, also from the colony record; third, Mistick, from Josselyn, is of Indian origin. The second was proprietary, but would of nec
Medford broadsides In a book of nearly five hundred pages, recently published, is a list of titles of nearly thirty-five hundred broadsides issued in Massachusetts prior to the year 1800, the first being (from the Stephen Daye press set up in Cambridge in 1638) The Freeman's Oath. Three in the list are credited to Medford, two of them in 1771. One is a Poem, Medford, Printed & Sold 1771, and the first two lines are quoted:— one God there is, of wisdom, Glory, Might: One truth there is, to guide our Souls aright. The poem consists of twelve verses of four lines plentifully capitalized and italicized, enumerating Two Testaments, Three Persons in the Trinity, Four Evangelists, Five Senses, Six Days, Seven Lib'ral Arts, Eight Persons in the Ark, Nine Muses, Ten Commandments, Eleven Disciples did with Jesus pray, and closing with twelve there were among our Fathers Old, Twelve Articles our Christian Faith doth hold, Twelve Gates to New Jerusalem there be, Unto which place ma
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 26., My Revolutionary ancestors: major Job Cushing, Lieutenant Jerome Lincoln, Walter Foster Cushing (search)
he name is somewhat uncertain. The present form is used by all the descendants of Matthew Cushing, who came to America in 1638. Before the sixteenth century, however, it was variously written. In deeds, wills and charters still extant in Norfolk amous family of Admiral Pitcher of England. For the first fifty years of his life he lived in Hardingham and Hingham. In 1638, however, he, with his wife and five children, sailed on the ship Diligent for America. There were one hundred and thirt From Samuel's third son, Mordicai, came Abraham Lincoln. To go back to the colonists at Hingham: At a town meeting in 1638, a house lot of five acres on Pear Tree hill, Bachelor street, now Main street, was given to Matthew Cushing and it continarest place to grind corn; it was a long, weary trail. Horses, cattle, sheep and goats had been brought from England. In 1638 the first selectman was appointed and at first it was hard to get the people to the town meetings until a fine of one peck
on and Medford, Mass., a Pilgrim Tercentenary member since 1919, was born in Baltimore, Md., where his parents, Gorham and Ellen (Shepherd) Brooks of Boston and Medford, were temporarily residing, 23 July 1837, and died in Boston 21 February 1922. He was a member of an illustrious Massachusetts family, of which the immigrant ancestor was Thomas Brooks, an early settler of Watertown, who was admitted a freeman 7 December 1636 and soon afterwards removed to Concord, where he was constable in 1638 and later deputy and captain. In 1660 he and his son-in-law, Timothy Wheeler, bought four hundred acres of land in Medford; but he continued to reside in Concord, and died there 21 May 1667. Among his children by his wife Grace, who died 12 May 1664, was Caleb, born, probably in England, about 1632, who removed from Concord to Medford and died 29 July 1696, aged 64. His two wives, Susanna and Hannah, were sisters, being the daughters of Thomas Atkinson; and by the second wife, Hannah, he h
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 29., More about the powder house. (search)
lay westward between Mystic river and Medford on the east and north and Cambridge on the south, extending to the Menotomy river (alias Alewife brook) and to Mystic river again. It had numerous hills of considerable elevation and historic interest. One of the lesser is the Quarry hill already mentioned. Old Charlestown early made a remarkable survey and record of its territory and belongings. In a book of two hundred and sixty pages it is given in third report of Record Commissioners, from 1638 to 1802. In this book is much about present Medford territory. This is now presented to complete the story, and especially to answer a query we received relative to the name Broadway. The level land between Walnut and Quarry hills was in olden time called Sorrelly plain. At the foot of Quarry hill was the Medford road to Cambridge, now known as Harvard street in Medford (named Cambridge street in 1829), and as Warner street in Somerville, and after crossing Broadway, as College avenue.
... 7 8 9 10 11 12