hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 324 results in 120 document sections:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...
Cambridge History of American Literature: volume 1, Colonial and Revolutionary Literature: Early National Literature: Part I (ed. Trent, William Peterfield, 1862-1939., Erskine, John, 1879-1951., Sherman, Stuart Pratt, 1881-1926., Van Doren, Carl, 1885-1950.), Chapter 2: the historians, 1607-1783 (search)
rare that the world has a man who is endowed with both characteristics. Both Hubbard and Prince were ministers and wrote with a full sense of the importance of the churches in the New England life. Their outlook was biased, although not intentionally so. From them we turn at the very close of the colonial period to a New England historian as free from this influence as Colden or William Smith. Thomas Hutchinson was descended from Mrs. Anne Hutchinson, who was exiled from Massachusetts in 1638 because she defied the Puritan hierarchy, and he was quite free from religious narrowness. Born in 1711, he graduated from Harvard in 1727 and began a prosperous career as a merchant. He won the confidence of the Boston people, who sent him to the assembly, where he distinguished himself by opposing the issue of paper money. He was for a long time the most popular man in the colony, and he was promoted from one high office to another, becoming lieutenant-governor in 1758, chief justice in
Cambridge History of American Literature: volume 2 (ed. Trent, William Peterfield, 1862-1939., Erskine, John, 1879-1951., Sherman, Stuart Pratt, 1881-1926., Van Doren, Carl, 1885-1950.), Chapter 13: Whittier (search)
Chapter 13: Whittier It was in 1638, when the great Puritan emigration to Massachusetts was beginning to slacken, that Thomas Whittier, a youth of eighteen, possibly of Huguenot extraction, landed in New England and made a home for himself on the shores of the Merrimac River. The substantial oak farmhouse which, late in life, he erected for his large family near Haverhill, is still standing. Descended from him in the fourth generation, John Greenleaf Whittier, the poet, was born in this house, 17 December, 1807. This is the homestead described with minute and loving fidelity in Snow-Bound, and it is typical of the many thousands of its sort that dotted the New England country-side, rearing in the old Puritan tradition a sturdy pioneer stock that was to blossom later in the fine flower of political and ethical passion, of statesmanship and oratory and letters. Though Whittier's family tree was originally Puritan, a Quaker scion was grafted upon it in the second American genera
Thomas Wentworth Higginson, John Greenleaf Whittier, Chapter 1: childhood (search)
ay of Ury? The Quaker tradition, after all, had a Brahminism of its own which Beacon Street in Boston could not rear or Harvard College teach. To this special privilege John Greenleaf Whittier was born in Haverhill, Mass., on Dec. 17, 1807. The founder of the name and family of Whittier in this country, Thomas Whittier, was one of that type of ancestors to which every true American looks back with pride, if he can. Of Huguenot descent, but English training, he sailed from Southampton in 1638, and settled in what was then Salisbury, but is now Amesbury, on Powow River — the poet's swift Powow --a tributary of the Merrimac. He was then eighteen, and was a youth weighing three hundred pounds and of corresponding muscular strength. Later, he removed to Haverhill, about ten miles away, and built a log house near what is now called the Whittier homestead. Here he dwelt with his wife, a distant kinswoman, whose maiden name was Ruth Flint, and who had come over with him on the packet
Cambridge sketches (ed. Estelle M. H. Merrill), Some thynges of ye olden tyme. (search)
Some thynges of ye olden tyme. Dr. Alexander McKenzie. The ancient records of the First Church in Cambridge are very interesting but are not a complete account of all that was done here in the early days. The church was founded in 1636 and the oldest record is very near that date. There are some items of interest which not only tell us what was done, but give us a glimpse of some of the methods of that period. In 1638 Roger Harlakenden died. The record spells the name Harlakingdon —— they were not very particular about their spelling in those days. He left a legacy of £ 20 to the church. This appears to have been paid in 1640 by Herbert Pelham, who married the widow Harlakenden, in a young cow. For three summers the milk was given to different persons-brother Towne, brother John French, sister Manning; and in 1643 the cow was yeelded to Elder Frost for his owne, but her value had shrunk to 15. This is only one sign of the care which the church had for the poor, and it
Cambridge sketches (ed. Estelle M. H. Merrill), Historic churches and homes of Cambridge. (search)
d here: because the town was conveniently situated and because it was here under the orthodox and soul-flourishing ministry of Mr. Tho. Shepheard. Twelve important men of the colony were chosen to take orders for the college, and of these were Shepard, Cotton, Wilson, Harlakenden, Stoughton, Dudley and Winthrop. Thus from the first, college interests were closely linked to those of the First Church. Church and State were one in those days; Christo et Ecclesiae was the college motto. In 1638 Newtowne became Cambridge, and the same year the college was called Harvard. Its first leader, Nathaniel Eaton, for maltreating his pupils was dismissed, and for a time Samuel Shepard administered the college affairs. In 1664, however, Henry Dunster became president. He was a member of Shepard Church, as was also Elijah Corlet, master of the Faire Grammar School, on the site of which the Washington Grammar School now stands. In 1642 the first college commencement was held in the First Chu
Cambridge sketches (ed. Estelle M. H. Merrill), A guide to Harvard College. (search)
rosity of General Samuel J. Bridge, we have here from the hands of the sculptor D. C. French. the face and figure of an English Puritan minister such as we may suppose the founder of the college to have possessed. Few facts concerning the life of John Harvard have come down to us. We know that he was a graduate from the English Cambridge University, for which reason the name of Newtowne was changed to Cambridge. After leaving England John Harvard settled in Charlestown, and at his death in 1638 left to the colledge at Newetowne his library and £ 500 in money. This one act on his part determined forever the name and future of our University. The statue was unveiled October 15, 1884. Continuing our walk and crossing Kirkland street, another group of college buildings comes into view. The first which we pass, a brick building, is the Lawrence Scientific School, the gift of Abbott Lawrence of Boston in 1848. Immediately back of this stands the Jefferson Physical Laboratory, built
Court, to command the militia of the Colony. Except as a military man, his character does not appear to have been very reputable. In 1637 he had liberty to remove to Ipswich, but seems rather to have gone to Watertown, where he was Selectman, in 1638. He afterwards removed to Connecticut, and was killed by a Dutchman, at Stamford, in 1643. John Poole probably remained here only a few months, as he is not named in the list of proprietors, in 1633. He was of Lynn, 1638, and afterwards of Read1638, and afterwards of Reading, where he died April 1, 1667. William Spencer, uniformly styled Mr. on the court records, was one of the principal gentlemen. He was associated with Mr. Lockwood, May, 1632, to confer with the Court about raising of a public stock; was Deputy or Representative of the New Town, 1634-1637; one of the first Board of Townsmen, 1635; lieutenant of the trainband, 1637, and a member of the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company, at its organization in 1639; he probably removed to Hartford in 163
oved to Hartford. Thomas Beale, Remained here. Christopher Cane. Remained here. Mrs. Chester. Removed to Hartford. Nicholas Clark. Removed to Hartford. Dolor Davis. Removed to Concord. Robert Day. Removed to Hartford. Joseph Easton. Removed to Hartford. Nathaniel Ely. Removed to Hartford. James Ensign. Removed to Hartford. Thomas Fisher. Removed to Dedham. Edmund Gearner. Perhaps the Edmund Gardner, who was in Ipswich, 1638. John Gibson. Remained here. Seth Grant. Removed to Hartford. Bartholomew Green. Remained here. Samuel Green. Remained here. Samuel Greenhill. Removed to Hartford. Nathaniel Hancock. Remained here. Edmund Hunt. Removed to Duxbury. Thomas Judd. Removed to Hartford. William Mann. Remained here. John Maynard. Removed to Hartford. Joseph Mygate. Removed to Hartford. Stephen Post. Removed to Hartford. John Prin
Very probably Gov. Winthrop intended that Mr. Hooker should make a personal application of his general remarks contained in a letter addressed to him as early as 1638: If you could show us the men that reproached you, we should teach them better manners than to speak evil of this good land God hath brought us to, and to discourae up to the time of his removal in the spring of 1637;—the latter was elected Assistant in 1636, at the first election after his arrival, and reelected in 1637 and 1638. One was colonel, and the other lieutenant-colonel, of the military force. Both were conspicuous for moral excellence and mental ability, and each bore a large shby this most precious servant of Jesus Christ, and bitterly lamented his early death; This loss was partially repaired by the accession of Herbert Pelham, Esq., in 1638 or 1639. He married the widow of Mr. Harlakenden, and was successively Treasurer of Harvard College, 1643, Assistant, 1645-49, and Commissioner of the United Colo
ht mile line were soon afterwards granted by the town; among which grants was one to Richard Harlakenden of six hundred acres of upland and meadow, at the place called Vine Brook, in the midway between Newtowne and Concord, on certain conditions, Jan. 2, 1636-7. This tract of land was in the central portion of the present town of Lexington. The conditions of the grant not being performed by Richard Harlakenden, the land was subsequently granted to his brother, Roger Harlakenden, who died in 1638. Herbert Pelham married the widow of Harlakenden, and became the owner of his real estate; he bequeathed this property to his son Edward Pelham, who conveyed by deeds, Oct. 28, 1693, to Benjamin Muzzey 206 acres in Cambridge, towards Concord, being a part of Mr. Pelham's farm, and to John Poulter 212 acres of the same farm. Precisely when the first houses were erected and actual settlements commenced at the Farms, so called, does not appear on record; but as early as 1682, about thirty fami
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...