hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF MEDFORD, Middlesex County, Massachusetts, FROM ITS FIRST SETTLEMENT, IN 1630, TO THE PRESENT TIME, 1855. (ed. Charles Brooks) 2 2 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 2 results in 2 document sections:

s broken off; and, of this sort, six of their small beads, which they make with holes to string their bracelets, are current with the English for a penny. The second is black, inclining to blue, which is made of the shell of a fish, which some English call hens-poquahock; and, of this sort, three make an English penny. One fathom of this, their stringed money, is worth five shillings. To show how this shell-currency of the natives was prepared for ready exchange, we quote the law of Oct. 18, 1648:-- It is ordered, for trial till the next court, that all passable or payable peage henceforth shall be entire, without breaches, both the white and black, without deforming spots, suitably strung in eight known parcels,--one penny, threepence, twelvepence, five shillings, in white; twopence, sixpence, two shillings and sixpence, and ten shillings, in black. Medford paid its share towards the support of Rev. Messrs. Patricke and Underhill; and, Sept. 7, 1630, it is ordered that Mr
ral Court invite the Synod to draw up a confession of faith. Nov. 11, 1647.--Medford was under the following law: Ordered that no lover shall seek the hand of his chosen one till he has asked permission of her parents. Penalty for the first offence, £ 5; for the second, £ 10; and for the third, imprisonment. According to this, courting, in those days, must have been a very dangerous business. The Cambridge platform adopted 1648; and the church at Malden gathered the same year. Oct. 18, 1648.--The coopers united in a company, and received from the General Court an act of incorporation. May 2, 1649.--The General Court say, Upon the petition of Mistick-side men, they are granted to be a distinct town, and the name thereof to be called Mauldon. 1649.--The Middlesex County Records before this date are lost. 1649.--Horses must be registered in a book kept in each town. In a neighboring town, church troubles ran so high, in 1650, that they were obliged to call in the c