Your search returned 154 results in 73 document sections:

1 2 3 4 5 6 ...
A Dictionary of Greek and Roman biography and mythology (ed. William Smith), (search)
siderable collection of his works is that of Combefis, S. Maximi Confessoris, Graecorum Theologi, eximiique philosophi Opera, 2 vols. fol. Paris, 1675. An introduction contains the ancient biography of Maximus, and some other ancient pieces relating to his history; and the works are in some cases accompanied by ancient anonymous Greek scholia, as well as by the notes of the learned editor. This edition is not complete: a third volume was in preparation by Combéfis at the time of his death, A. D. 1679; but no successor undertook to complete the unfinished labour. Miscellaneous Works The works are too numerous, and many of them too unimportant for distinct notice. The following are the most important:-- 1. *Pro\s *Qala/ssion to\n o(siw/taton presbu/teron kai\ h(gou/menon peri\ diafo/rwn a)po/rwn th=s *Dei/as grafh=s, Ad Sanctissimum Presbyterum ac Praepositum Thalassium, de variis Scripturae Sacrae Quaestionibus ac Dubiis. This is the work already noticed as severely criticised in r
n Banks' retreat. The battle of Cedar Mountain was also fought by this corps alone and unassisted and, although defeated by the overwhelming force of the enemy, the record slows that the two divisions did there some of the best fighting of the War. In that battle the divisions were commanded by Generals Williams and Augur; loss, 302 killed, 1,320 wounded, and 594 missing; total, 2,216, out of less than 6,000 engaged. This loss fell oil four brigades, Crawford's Brigade losing 867 men out of 1679, reported by Crawford as present in engagement. At Manassas the corps was held in reserve. It participated in the Antietam campaign under its proper designation, as the Twelfth Corps, with the veteran Mansfield in command. Its division and brigade organization was the same as at Cedar Mountain; General George S. Greene had succeeded General Augur in the command of the Second Division. Its depleted columns had been strengthened by the accession of five new regiments of volunteers, fresh
llins1669. John Call1669. Daniel Deane1669. Samuel Hayward1670. Caleb Brooks1672. Daniel Markham1675. John Whitmore1678. John Greenland1678. Daniel Woodward1679. Isaac Fox1679. Stephen Willis1680. Thomas Willis1680. John Hall1680. Gersham Swan1684. Joseph Angier1684. John Bradshaw1685. Stephen Francis1685. Peter T1679. Stephen Willis1680. Thomas Willis1680. John Hall1680. Gersham Swan1684. Joseph Angier1684. John Bradshaw1685. Stephen Francis1685. Peter Tufts1686. Jonathan Tufts1690. John Tufts1690. Simon Bradstreet1695. The following owned lands in Medford before 1680:-- William Dady.Increase Nowell. Rob. Broadick.Zachary Symmes. Mrs. Anne Higginson.John Betts. Caleb Hobart.Jotham Gibons. John Palmer.Richard Stilman. Nicholas Davidson.Mrs. Mary Eliot. The la, June 22.Bought of Parmelia Nowellcommons, 24 acres. 1674, Sept. 28.Bought of Benjamin Bunker17 cow-commons. 1677, April 20.Bought of Richard Russell350 acres. 1679, Nov. 16.Bought of A. Shadwell32 acres. 1681, Sept. 20.Bought of S. Rowse32 acres. 1682, Feb. 3.Bought of John Green6 acres. 1682, May 18.Bought of Alexander St
ndomitable perseverance of will, social and civil order, self-forgetful patriotism, domestic love, and religious enthusiasm. These effects have, in their turn, become causes; and the glorious results are extensive wealth, great moral influence, elevated Christian character, and solid happiness. Surely the lines have fallen to us in pleasant places, and God hath given to us a goodly heritage. Chairmen of the board of Selectmen. Jonathan Wade1676. Nathaniel Wade1678. John Hall1679. Nathaniel Wade1681. Jonathan Wade1683. Thomas Willis1684. Nathaniel Wade1685. John Hall1689. Nathaniel Wade1690. John Hall1693. Nathaniel Wade1694. Jonathan Tufts1695. Nathaniel Wade1696. Peter Tufts1698. Nathaniel Wade1699. Peter Tufts1700. Nathaniel Wade1703. Peter Tufts1705. Nathaniel Wade1706. Stephen Francis1707. Stephen Willis1708. John Francis1709. Ebenezer Brooks1710. John Bradshaw1711. John Whitmore1712. Thomas Willis1713. Stephen Willis1714. Jonathan Tufts1
w England had 500,000 inhabitants, and 530 Congregational churches. 1673.--An author says, At this time, there was not a house in New England which had more than twenty rooms. There were five hundred persons worth each three thousand pounds. The worst cottages were lofted. February, 1674.--The earliest record of town-meetings in Medford, which has escaped destruction, bears the above date. Before 1676, there were but few settlements more than twenty miles from the Atlantic coast. 1679.--The court decide that it is not lawful for a man to marry his former wife's sister. There is no good reason for this; but it would have been wise to have forbidden first-cousins to marry each other. Apparitions and haunted houses. The belief in them was very common for the first hundred years of our history; and it was a faith full of efficacy to puzzle men and frighten children. 1690.--The delusions of witchcraft never penetrated Medford. (See Mr. Turell's narrative.) In 1690,
eeman, 1652; m. Han. Mason, of Watertown.  3Caleb, b. 1632; freeman, 1654.  4Gershom, freeman, 1672; m. Hannah Eckles.  5Mary, m. Tim. Wheeler, of Concord. (According to Mr. Shattuck, probably others.) 1-3CALEB Brooks lived at Concord until 1679. He m., successively, the two daus. of Thomas Atkinson; viz., Susannah, Apr. 10, 1660; 2d, Hannah. He removed to Medford, where he inherited some land lying east from the Wear Bridge. His house was situated about mid-way between the bridge andbeth, b. 18, 7 mo., 1658; m. John Oldham.  10John, b. 13, 10 mo., 1660.  11Nathaniel, b. 7, 5 mo., 1666.  12Mary, b. 1668; m. John Bradshaw.  13Stephen, b. 1670.  14Percival, b. Feb. 11, 1672.  15Susanna.  16Jonathan, b. 1677.  17Sarah, b. 1679.  18Thomas. 1-4Stephen Hall was of Concord; afterwards (in 1685) of Stow, of which latter place he was representative in 1689. He m., Dec. 3, 1663, Ruth Davis, and had--  4-19Samuel, b. Dec. 8, 1665.  20Ruth, b. Jan. 12, 1670.  21Mar
Edward Porter Alexander, Military memoirs of a Confederate: a critical narrative, Chapter 22: the Mine (search)
t, with Sanders's brigade, the 61st N. C. and the 17th S. C.; Johnson attacked on the right with the 23d S. C. and the remaining five companies of the 22d, all that could be promptly collected on that flank. This attack was easily successful. Mahone has stated that the number of prisoners taken in the crater was 1101, including two brigade commanders, Bartlett and Marshall. The tabular statement of the Medical Department gives the Federal casualties of the day as: killed, 419; wounded, 1679; missing, 1910; total, 4008. Elliott's brigade reported the loss by the explosion as:— TOTALAGG. In 18th S. C. 4 companies86About 300 were blown up, but a small percentage escaped alive. In 22d S. C. 5 companies170 In Pegram's battery out of 30 Present 22278 Including these, Johnson reports the casualties in his division (Elliott, Wise, Ransom, Gracie), as follows:— Killed, 165; wounded, 415; missing, 359; Total, 938. There are no returns for Mahone's and Hoke's divisions.
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Accault, Michael, (search)
Accault, Michael, Explorer; was with La Salle when the latter discovered the Mississippi River. Later, with Louis Hennepin (q. v.), in the summer of 1679, he was sent by La Salle to explore the sources of the Mississippi. They went up the river as far the Falls of St. Anthony, where they were captured by Indians, but were rescued by Daniel Duluth, a French officer. In a few months they succeeded in reaching the tradingstation at Green Bay.
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Allouez, Claude Jean, 1620- (search)
Allouez, Claude Jean, 1620- One of the earliest French missionaries and explorers of the country near the Great Lakes; born in 1620. After laboring among the Indians on the St. Lawrence several years, he penetrated the Western wilds and established a mission on the western shores of Lake Michigan, where he heard much about the Mississippi River, and made notes of what he learned concerning it. He explored Green Bay, and founded a mission among the Foxes, Miamis, and other tribes there. A mission begun by Marquette at Kaskaskia, Ill., Allouez sought to make his permanent field of labor; but when La Salle, the bitter opponent of the Jesuits, approached in 1679, he retired. Returning to the Miamis on the St. Joseph's River, he labored for a while, and died, Aug. 27, 1689. The contributions of Father Allouez to the Jesuit relations are most valuable records of the ideas and manners of the Indians.
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Barclay, Robert, 1648-1690 (search)
published, in Latin and English, An apology for the true Christian Divinity, as the same is held forth and preached by the people called, in scorn, Quakers. Barclay dedicated it to King Charles, with great modesty and independence, and it was one of the ablest defences of the doctrines of his sect. His writings attracted public sympathy to his co-religionists. The first remonstrance of Friends against war was put forth by Barclay in 1677, entitled a Treatise on universal love. Barclay made many religious journeys in England, Holland, and Germany with William Penn, and was several times imprisoned on account of the promulgation of his doctrines. Charles II. was Barclay's friend through the influence of Penn, and made his estate at Ury a free barony in 1679, with the privilege of criminal jurisdiction. He was one of the proprietors of East Jersey, and in 1682 he was appointed its governor (see New Jersey) ; but he exercised the office by a deputy. He died in Ury, Oct. 13, 1690.
1 2 3 4 5 6 ...