Your search returned 174 results in 91 document sections:

1 2 3 4 5 6 ...
ng a great reverence for religious persons. His spiritual director having died, he attached himself to St. Basil the younger, the ascetic, who lived during and after the reign of Leo VI. the Philosopher (A. D. 886-911), and is supposed to have survived as late as A. D. 952. After his death, Gregory composed two memoirs of him; the more prolix appears to have perished, the other is given by the Bollandists in the Acta Sanctorum, Martii, vol. iii.; the Latin version in the body of the work, p. 667, &c., and the original in the Appendix, p. 24, &c. This memoir, though crammed with miraculous stories,contains several notices of contemporary public men and political events: and a considerable extract of it is given by Combefis in the Historiae Byzantinae Scriptores post Theophanem, fol. Paris, A. D. 1685. It precedes, in that work, the Chronicon of Symeon Magister. (Fabric. Bibl. Gr. vol. x. p. 206; Cave, Hist. Litt. ii. p. 69; Acta Sancttor., Martii, vol. iii., Proleg. ad Vit. S. Basilii.
Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain, The Passing of the Armies: The Last Campaign of the Armies., Biographical note. (search)
Biographical note. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain, who won distinction both as a soldier and as a citizen, for the State of Maine, and for the whole country, was born in Brewer, Maine, September 8, 1828. His parental lineage is traced back to England, but on the mother's side he is descended from Jean Dupuis, who came, in 1685, with other Huguenots, from La Rochelle to Boston. Young Chamberlain was brought up in the country district of Brewer. As Greek was not included in the curriculum of the school where he prepared for college, with the aid of a tutor he attacked that language at home, and in six months, at the age of nineteen, had mastered the amount required for entrance to Bowdoin. In his college course, he took honors in every department. After his graduation in 1852, he entered the Theological Seminary at Bangor, and for several years gave attention to the reading of theology, and of church history in Latin and German. His work included the study of the Hebrew, Syriac,
Benson J. Lossing, Pictorial Field Book of the Civil War. Volume 2., Chapter 21: slavery and Emancipation.--affairs in the Southwest. (search)
hat of the Army of the Mississippi, and was divided into two corps, one of which was placed under the command of General Morgan, and the other under General Sherman. before McClernand's arrival Sherman and Porter had agreed upon a plan for attacking Fort Hindman, or Arkansas post, on the left bank, and at a sharp Bend of the Arkansas River, this Point is the first high land on the Arkansas, after leaving the Mississippi. There the French had a trading post and A. Settlement as early as 1685, and gave it the name which it yet bears. The Confederates had strongly fortified it, and named the principal work Fort Hindman, in honor of the Arkansas General. It was a regular square, bastioned and casemated work, with a ditch twenty feet wide and eight deep, and was armed with twelve guns. fifty miles from the Mississippi, while Grant was moving his Army to Memphis, preparatory to a descent of the River, to join in the further prosecution of the siege of Vicksburg. McClernand approved
H. Wager Halleck , A. M. , Lieut. of Engineers, U. S. Army ., Elements of Military Art and Science; or, Course of Instruction in Strategy, Fortification, Tactis of Battles &c., Embracing the Duties of Staff, Infantry, Cavalry, Artillery and Engineers. Adapted to the Use of Volunteers and Militia., Chapter 13: permanent fortifications.—Historical Notice of the progress of this Art.—Description of the several parts of a Fortress, and the various Methods of fortifying a position (search)
that exist at the present day, are the fortresses of Manheim, Bergen-op-Zoom, Nimiguen, and Breda. Coehorn was followed in Holland by Landsberg, an able and practical engineer, who to much reading added extensive experience, having himself served at sixteen sieges. His system was in many respects peculiar, both in trace and relief; it dispensed with the glacis, and all revertments of masonry. His plans could be applied only to marshy soils. The first edition of his work was published in 1685. But the career of Vauban forms the most marked and prominent era in the history of fortification; it constitutes the connecting link between the rude sketches of the earlier engineers, and the well-established form which the art has since assumed. In his earlier works we find many of the errors of his predecessors; but a gradual change seems to have been wrought in his mind by reflection and experience, and these faults were soon remedied and a new and distinct system developed. Vauban
on in the field. Having been dispatched from Memphis by Gen. Grant to Vicksburg, he, on his arrival, acquiesced in Sherman's decision to return to Milliken's Bend, where he formally assumed Jan. 4. command, and at once addressed himself to the execution of a purpose which he had formed while on his way down the river. Dec. 30. This was the reduction of Fort Hindman, otherwise known as The Post of Arkansas, 50 miles from the Mississippi; where a settlement had been made by the French in 1685, on the first high ground reached in ascending from the great river; eligibly situated in a fertile and productive, though swampy, region, and commanding the navigation of the important river whose name it bears. It had been fortified by the Confederates, having a parapet 18 feet across and a ditch 20 feet wide by 8 deep, with strong easemates, a banquette for infantry, and a cordon of ride-pits. But its guns were too few and light, and their powder inferior; so that Gen. T. J. Churchill, w
y were disposed in the rear, under orders to force stragglers to return to their ranks. Such was the disposition of the forces under my command on the eve of the battle of the Arkansas. On the other hand, the position of the enemy, naturally strong, was one of his own choosing. Post Arkansas, a small village, the capital of Arkansas county, is situated on elevated ground above the reach of floods, and defining for some miles, the left bank of the river. It was settled by the French in 1685, is fifty miles above the mouth of the river; one hundred and seventeen miles below Little Rock, and is surrounded by a fruitful country, abounding in cattle, corn, and cotton. Fort Hindman, a square full-bastioned fort, is erected within this village upon the bank of the river, at the head of a bend resembling a horseshoe. The exterior sides of the Fort between the salient angles were each three hundred feet in length; the faces of the bastions two sevenths of an exterior side, and the p
Greenland1678. Daniel Woodward1679. Isaac Fox1679. Stephen Willis1680. Thomas Willis1680. John Hall1680. Gersham Swan1684. Joseph Angier1684. John Bradshaw1685. Stephen Francis1685. Peter Tufts1686. Jonathan Tufts1690. John Tufts1690. Simon Bradstreet1695. The following owned lands in Medford before 1680:-- W1685. Peter Tufts1686. Jonathan Tufts1690. John Tufts1690. Simon Bradstreet1695. The following owned lands in Medford before 1680:-- William Dady.Increase Nowell. Rob. Broadick.Zachary Symmes. Mrs. Anne Higginson.John Betts. Caleb Hobart.Jotham Gibons. John Palmer.Richard Stilman. Nicholas Davidson.Mrs. Mary Eliot. The lands of Medford were apportioned to the first settlers according to the decision of the Court of May 1, 1629; and Josselyn speaks of y10 acres. 1682, Dec. 22.Bought of L. Hamond8 1/4 acres. 1684, June 8.Bought of Christopher Goodwin16 acres. 1684, Dec. 13.Bought of Isaac Johnson1 cow-common. 1685, June 20.Bought of Wm. Dady3 cow-commons. 1687, April 21.Bought of Wm. Dady3 acres. 1691, Oct. 5.Bought of Wm. Dady4 cow-commons. 1693, Aug. 20.Bought of J. Fro
, in 1684, it is ordered,-- That the selectmen shall have the Town-book for their use at any of their meetings, as they stand in need of it, provided the town-book be carefully returned to the clerk again. Law processes were not expensive. In 1685, Medford orders the following payments:-- To Mr. Nath. Lyon, for the attachment and serving£068 To entering the petition at Boston to the General Court026 For copy out of the records006 Caleb Brooks, for serving the attachment010 For enus in pleasant places, and God hath given to us a goodly heritage. Chairmen of the board of Selectmen. Jonathan Wade1676. Nathaniel Wade1678. John Hall1679. Nathaniel Wade1681. Jonathan Wade1683. Thomas Willis1684. Nathaniel Wade1685. John Hall1689. Nathaniel Wade1690. John Hall1693. Nathaniel Wade1694. Jonathan Tufts1695. Nathaniel Wade1696. Peter Tufts1698. Nathaniel Wade1699. Peter Tufts1700. Nathaniel Wade1703. Peter Tufts1705. Nathaniel Wade1706. Stephen Fran
ve a principal part in the pomps of the Devil. For equally valid reasons, May-day was anathematized; and when, in Charlestown, they thought of erecting a May-pole, Mr. Mather, in 1686, said, It is an abominable shame, that any persons, in a land of such light and purity as New England has been, should have the face to speak or think of practising so vile a piece of heathenism. Dancing was dangerous because the daughter of Herodias danced John the Baptist's head off. But Mr. Mather says, in 1685, that, within the last year, promiscuous dancing was openly practised, and too much countenanced, in this town. He further says, I can remember the time, when, for many years, not so much as one of these superstitious customs was known to be practised in this land. Ask such of the old standers if it were not so. Alas! that so many of the present generation have so early corrupted their doings! Methinks I hear the Lord speaking to New England as once to Israel: I planted thee a noble vine,
1660.  11Nathaniel, b. 7, 5 mo., 1666.  12Mary, b. 1668; m. John Bradshaw.  13Stephen, b. 1670.  14Percival, b. Feb. 11, 1672.  15Susanna.  16Jonathan, b. 1677.  17Sarah, b. 1679.  18Thomas. 1-4Stephen Hall was of Concord; afterwards (in 1685) of Stow, of which latter place he was representative in 1689. He m., Dec. 3, 1663, Ruth Davis, and had--  4-19Samuel, b. Dec. 8, 1665.  20Ruth, b. Jan. 12, 1670.  21Mary, b. June 1, 1677.  22Elizabeth, b. Apr. 7, 1685. 1-5William Hall, m., have been concerned in lands held under John Mason, in N. H.; and lived at Portsmouth, 1631. Of these, Richard was freeman, 1634: John d. Jan. 18, 1703, aged 87; and William was of Salem, 1648, afterwards of Beverly, where he was representative, 1685 and 1686. He was a captain of Beverly troops, and had, for his services, a grant of land, where Dunbarton, N. H., now is. He d. Jan. 29, 1709, aged 72. He m., 1st, Hannah Bishop; 2d, Ruth Hall; by each of them leaving issue. His children w
1 2 3 4 5 6 ...