hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing) 1 1 Browse Search
Edward H. Savage, author of Police Recollections; Or Boston by Daylight and Gas-Light ., Boston events: a brief mention and the date of more than 5,000 events that transpired in Boston from 1630 to 1880, covering a period of 250 years, together with other occurrences of interest, arranged in alphabetical order 1 1 Browse Search
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 2. 1 1 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 3 results in 3 document sections:

Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), New York, (search)
e of the province......1715 Governor Hunter resigns; Peter Schuyler acting governor......July 19, 1719 William Burnet, governor, arrives at New York......Sept. 17, 1720 English establish a trading-post at Oswego......1722 William Bradford issues the New York Gazette, the first newspaper in the province......October, 1725 Fort Niagara built by the French......1726 Governor Burnet succeeded by John Montgomery......April 15, 1728 Boundary with Connecticut established......May, 1731 Governor Montgomery dies......July 1, 1731 Rip Van Dam, acting governor......1731 [Population in the province of New York, 50,289; New York City, 8,632; total number of negroes, 7,231.] William Cosby, governor of New York, arrives......Aug. 1, 1732 First stage runs between New York and Boston, round trip twenty-eight days......1732 John Peter Zenger establishes the New York Weekly journal in the interests of the people......Nov. 5, 1733 Zenger arrested for libel and impr
chosen by the town, May 2, 1776 Chosen to hunt out old Tories, 1777 Chosen to protect the town from the British, August, 1812 Common distribution of Common lands by a committee, Dec. 18, 1634 No more land to be granted from the Common, Mar 30, 1640 To pasture but seventy cows, May 18, 1646 Digging sods on, forbidden, Mar. 29, 1647 A place for executing criminals, Oct. 20, 1659 First row of trees planted east side, May, 1728 Rail fence built on the east side, May, 1731 Second row of trees planted, east side, April, 1734 Two Pirates executed there, 1726 A fence built on the north side, Sep., 1737 Fox hill not to be dug any more, April, 1743 Burial ground laid out, south side, Sep. 1, 1756 Covered with British soldiers, Jan. 5, 1775 Third row of trees planted, east side, May, 1784 2 1/3 acres at S. E. corner bought of Mr. Foster, Dec. 10, 1787 New fence built, north and east sides, 1787 Mall prepared on the east side, 1790
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 2., The development of the public School of Medford. (search)
ccount we find the entry: To Cash pd to Deacn Willis for ye use of a Room for ye Schole £ 1-10s. The dates of the first pages are obliterated so that we can tell only by the dates on the credit side—the right-hand page of the account—what the date should be. The date of this entry was probably 1730. On the fourth page of the book, under accounts for 1731-2, is this entry: To cash pd to ye Widow Susanna Willis in full for a Room for the School in 1730/1, 10s. Deacon Willis had died in May, 1731, and Susanna was his widow. Farther down the same page, which seems to bring the account well along into the year 1732, is the entry: To Cash pd to ye widow Susanna Willis in full for Room for ye School in Time past, £ 2-02s. Accordingly we feel sure that the first school-house was not built in 1720. The duties of the school committee up to this time had been very simple. They were appointed for the specific duty of selecting a teacher and providing a room, and there their responsibil<