Browsing named entities in HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF MEDFORD, Middlesex County, Massachusetts, FROM ITS FIRST SETTLEMENT, IN 1630, TO THE PRESENT TIME, 1855. (ed. Charles Brooks). You can also browse the collection for 1777 AD or search for 1777 AD in all documents.

Your search returned 12 results in 7 document sections:

71.     Amount paid for town-expenses, 4 years2,162122 In these four years are included the expenses of building the meeting-house, in 1769. The pews paid the greater part.   Lawful Money. Expenses from 1771 to 1772£55834 Expenses from 1777 to 17781,41444 Expenses from 1778 to 1779 (by tax)3,061186  Borrowed2,85000     (Depreciated money)5,311186 1779.Expenses (raised by tax)8,81400  Borrowed8,63544     Extra expenses on account of the war17,44944 1780.Raised by tax101,40119e detachment of our army was overpowed by numbers, his regiment, of which he was the most efficient officer, so ably covered the retreat, that it received the distinguished acknowledgments of Gen. Washington for its gallant conduct. In the year 1777, he was promoted to the rank of lieutenant-colonel in the eighth Massachusetts regiment; the command of which devolved on him, in consequence of the sickness of his colonel. In the spring of this year, he was ordered to join the northern
an of Harvard College two years. On the 19th of April, 1775, he hastened towards Lexington, and did duty through the day. Lieut. Gould, taken prisoner at Concord, was committed to his custody at Medford. He was chaplain in the frigate Hancock, in 1777, when she captured the British frigate Fox. Afterwards, when the Hancock and Fox were retaken by the British off Halifax, he was carried there as prisoner of war, but was soon released. He had not money to give, but he would have given his life, to England, in 1775. Her husband died in London, in 1816, aged seventy. Although Colonel Royal's property in Medford was confiscated in 1778, it was kept together, and well guarded by officers appointed by the Judge of Probate. By the act of 1777, the General Court empowered the Judge of Probate to nominate agents to take charge of the estates of absentees, with full power to keep and improve the same. Colonel Royal was an exception to the great body of royalists; and, although the Genera
tears may melt; For still the charm may rest unbroken, So many tender hearts have felt. Then rest, lamented youth; in honor, Erie shall still preserve thy name; For those who fell 'neath Perry's banner, Must still survive in Perry's fame. Dec. 17, 1836, Medford was called to part with another officer high in command in the army of the United States. Among the brave, there were none braver than Colonel Alexander Scammel Brooks, eldest son of General John Brooks. He was born in Medford, 1777, on the day of Burgoyne's surrender at Saratoga. He entered Harvard College in 1798, and left it in 1801. He preferred a sailor's life; but, when the embargo of 1808 was laid, he obtained a commission in the army, and held it till that restriction on commerce was removed. He then resumed marine life, and continued in it till the war of 1812, when he again received a commission as Captain in the United States army, and served through the war. So gallant was his conduct at the battle of Plat
ly contrasts with the sum of $5,500 paid for ministers' salaries in 1855. He made no complaint; although the number of taxable persons in his parish had more than doubled during his ministry, and their means of payment more than quadrupled. May 9, 1808: Voted eighty dollars for the encouragement of the singing. April 7, 1817: Voted to grant seventy-five dollars to the Medford Amicable Singing Society, to promote the objects of said society. Dr. Osgood kept a diary, beginning Jan 1, 1777, and ending Dec. 5, 1822. Through this long period he recorded, with marvellous brevity, the salient events of each day. The manuscript is preserved in his family. From its first settlement to 1823, Medford had been but one parish; and, for the last hundred years, its two ministers experienced neither popular opposition nor social neglect; and the people experienced neither sectarian strife nor clerical domination. Claiming free thought for himself, and encouraging it in his people, Dr.
reached his majority. This son stepped into his father's place, and carried on the business. There is a tradition that a man named Blanchard, who had connections in Malden, was the first who set up a distillery in Medford. It was upon the south side of the river, on the first lot east of the bridge. It was afterwards used by Hezekiah Blanchard, the inn-holder, who distilled anise-seed, snake-root, clove-water, &c. These drinks were afterwards produced in large quantities in Medford. In 1777, Medford rum sold at 3s. 10d. a gallon, by the barrel; 4s. 6d. by the single gallon. After the Malden distiller had invested his little all in molasses, and occupied every vat, and was beginning to prosper, there rose a tide so high as to overflow all his vats with salt water. This catastrophe ruined him as entirely as it did his rum. With much of the Anglo-Saxon courage, he kept his spirits up, and looked to his Malden friends to aid him. They consented to do so; and Captain John Dexter,
be kept. In 1775, a smokehouse was opened for the purification of those persons who had been exposed to the contagion of smallpox. It stood on the west side of Main Street, about forty rods south of Colonel Royal's house. Visitors from Charlestown were unceremoniously stopped and smoked. 1775: During this and some following years, there was fatal sickness in Medford from dysentery. Out of fifty-six deaths in 1775, twenty-three were children. In 1776, there were thirty-three deaths; in 1777, nineteen; in 1778, thirty-seven; and in 1779, thirteen. No reason is given for these differences in numbers. Out of the thirty-seven deaths of 1778, eighteen were by dysentery, and twenty were children. Whooping-cough has, at certain times, been peculiarly destructive. Throat-distemper, so called, is often named among prevalent causes of death. In 1795, ten children and three adults died of it between the 20th of August and the 1st of November. Apoplexy seems to have destroyed very few
verhill. He grad. H. C., 1757, where he was librarian for a short time. He was chaplain on board the frigate Hancock in 1777; but, returning to Medford, died there, May 6, 1781. His wife died Nov. 29, 1800, aged 69. She was, through her mother, , 1780, and had--  29-31John, b. Jan. 27, 1781; m. Pamela Richardson, 1804.  1TAINTER, Elisha L., b. in New Fane, Vt., 1777; m. Sarah P. Smith in 1800, who d. 1806, leaving two children:--  1-2Mary Ann, b. Aug., 1801.  3Albert, b. May, 1803.   9, 1842.  86Cotton, b. 1772; insane; d. Feb. 12, 1835.  87Hall, b. 1775; d. at Surinam, July 19, 1801.  88Hepzibah, b. 1777; m. Benjamin Hall.  89Stephen, b. 1779.   His widow d. Aug. 30, 1830, aged 87. He d. Dec. 31, 1786. 23-54William Tuftsanna, b. Jan. 31, 1756; m. John Foster.  103Mary, b. Mar. 17, 1758; m. Seth Stone.  103 1/2Abigail, b. Jan. 20, 1760; d. 1777.  104Daniel, 1757.  105Amos, b. July 30, 1762.  106Nathan, b. Mar. 23, 1764.   There was an earlier son, Na