Your search returned 42 results in 28 document sections:

1 2 3
Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 1. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones), Editorial paragraphs. (search)
a large price, and insisted on giving them to our Society. John McRae, Esq., of Camden, S. C., has placed us under the highest obligations by presenting the following newspaper files: Charleston Courier from May 1856 to February 1865. Richmond Dispatch from April 1861 to April 1864. Charleston Mercury from July 1859 to February 1865 and from November 1866 to November 1868. Columbia Daily Carolinian from 1855 to October 1864. Charleston Daily News and News and Courier from June 1866 to this date. Camden Journal from January 1856 to this date. Southern Presbyterian from June 1858 to this date. And Dr. J. Dickson Bruns, of New Orleans, has sent us a bound volume of the Charleston Mercury for 1862. We have received recently other valuable contributions, which we have not space even to mention. Our present number has been delayed by causes over which we have had no control; but we think that we can promise that hereafter our Papers will appear promptly nea
Benson J. Lossing, Pictorial Field Book of the Civil War. Volume 2., Chapter 15: the Army of the Potomac on the Virginia Peninsula. (search)
ition, which had been thrown up by Magruder, Site of the Dam. this is a sketch of the appearance of the site of the Dam when the writer visited the spot in June, 1866. it is from a rude bridge then recently thrown across the stream. The redoubt was on the high bank directly ever the little figure. Here the bank, as in manyhis was a large brick House, on the main street in Williamsburg, belonging to William M. Vest, and was used by the commanders of both armies. Its appearance in June, 1866, when the writer visited Williamsburg, is given in the above sketch. two rivers, and the National flag was unfurled over that little village, from which every on the next page is a view of the house known as New Cool Arbor, not far from the site of the old one. It was yet standing when the writer visited the spot in June, 1866. It was on a level plain, and near it was a National cemetery into which the remains of the slain Union soldiers buried in the surrounding fields were then bei
Benson J. Lossing, Pictorial Field Book of the Civil War. Volume 2., Chapter 16: the Army of the Potomac before Richmond. (search)
Williamsburg, in which McClellan and all of the Union commanders at Yorktown had their quarters. It was still used for the same purpose, there being a small military force there. We observed that the names of the few streets in Yorktown had been changed, and bore those of McClellan, Keyes, Ellsworth, and others. The old Swan Tavern, at which the writer was lodged in 1848, and the adjoining buildings, had been blown into fragments by the explosion of gunpowder during the war. McClellan's Headquarters in Yorktown. On the morning of the 4th, June 1866 we left Yorktown for Grover's Landing, passing on the way the house of Mr. Eagle, a mile from the town, where General Johnston had his quarters and telegraph station just before the evacuation. We were again on the bosom of the James in a steamer at nine o'clock, and arrived at Richmond toward evening. Remaining there one day, we departed for the North, to visit the fields of strife between the South Anna and the Rappahannock.
Benson J. Lossing, Pictorial Field Book of the Civil War. Volume 2., Chapter 17: Pope's campaign in Virginia. (search)
which he supposed to be that of Jackson's troops; and soon afterward Heintzelman and Reno were ordered to assail their left and front in support of Porter's movement. But that movement was not made, in consequence, Porter says, of not receiving the order until dusk; so the brunt of battle fell upon Heintzelman and Monument and battle-ground near Groveton. this is a view of the monument on the battle-field near Groveton, as it appeared when the writer visited and sketched it, early in June, 1866, with his traveling companions, Messrs. Dreer and Greble. We rode out from Manassas Junction in an ambulance early in the morning, and went over the battle-ground of Bull's Run, visiting the monument near the site of Mrs. Henry's House (see pages 594 and 603, volume I.), and, following the Mrs. Dogan's House at Groveton. line of the retreat of the National troops, went down to the Warrenton turnpike, and westward to Groveton, a hamlet of a few dilapidated houses, on the slope of a Hill.
Benson J. Lossing, Pictorial Field Book of the Civil War. Volume 2., Chapter 18: Lee's invasion of Maryland, and his retreat toward Richmond. (search)
ters in rifle-pits in front of his bridges, near the mouth of Deep Run. These he soon dislodged, and by noon his bridges were ready for use. The above view of the place where Franklin's pontoons were laid is from a sketch made by the author in June, 1866, from the right bank of the river, and nearly opposite the site of the residence of Washington, when he was a boy. For a picture of that residence, see Lossing's Field Book of the Revolution, II. 219. The river here is much wider than in frontd the Twenty-fourth North Carolina were stationed, protected by a stone wall. The little picture on page 491 shows the appearance at this point on a road at the foot of Marye's Hill, and just below his mansion, when the writer sketched it in June, 1866. The stone wall is on the City side of the road on which the Confederates were posted. The tents of a burial-party, encamped nearer the Rappahannock at the time, are seen in the distance. The immediate care of this important point was intrust
Benson J. Lossing, Pictorial Field Book of the Civil War. Volume 3., Chapter 1: operations in Virginia.--battle of Chancellorsville.--siege of Suffolk. (search)
is is a view of Todd's Tavern, as it appeared when the writer sketched it, in June, 1866. it was also the Headquarters of General Warren, and other officers, when thpahannock just above Falmouth, as it appeared when the writer sketched it, in June, 1866, looking from the south side of the stream. The river is shallow here, with is a view of Aldrich's house, as it appeared when sketched by the writer, in June, 1866. it was used during the war as Headquarters by Generals Gregg and Merritt, aoward. this was the appearance of the spot when the writer sketched it, in June, 1866. the view is in a little intervals in the Wilderness, through which courses rview and Melzie Chancellor's, as it appeared when the writer sketched it, in June, 1866. the works were constructed of logs and earth, breast high. on the morrow. s Villa, or Chancellorsville), as it appeared when the writer sketched it, in June, 1866. roads leading to Elly's and United States Fords, the right resting on the R
Benson J. Lossing, Pictorial Field Book of the Civil War. Volume 3., Chapter 11: advance of the Army of the Potomac on Richmond. (search)
and seize the intrenchments on Mine Run were made. Perceiving that the heavier Rant's Headquarters in the Wilderness. from a sketch made by the author, in June, 1866. portion of the Confederates seemed to be on the turnpike, Crawford was directed to suspend operations on the plank road, while Griffin, with General WadsworthUnion army, by sending a bullet through the brain of the gallant Sedgwick, The place where Sedgwick was killed. this is from a sketch made by the author in June, 1866, taken from the breastworks in front of the Union line. Toward the right is seen the logs of the battery, the construction of which Sedgwick was superintendingl Rufus Ingalls. The writer visited the region where the battles of Chancellorsville, The Wilderness, and of Spottsylvania Court-House, were fought, early in June, 1866, with his traveling companions (Messrs. Dreer and Greble), accompanied by quite a cavalcade of young army officers, some of them in charge of the military post
Benson J. Lossing, Pictorial Field Book of the Civil War. Volume 3., Chapter 20: Peace conference at Hampton Roads.--the campaign against Richmond. (search)
covered by it, it defied the entire naval force of the Nationals, on the James River, during the War. See page 402, volume II. it was situated, as we have observed, on a Bluff rising nearly two hundred feet above the level of the River, at a curve, and commanded the stream to Chapin's Bluff, below. On the lower side of the Bluff was a deep ravine, with almost inaccessible sides, which formed an admirable flank to the Fort. The picture above given, is from a sketch made by the author in June, 1866, from the side of the ravine opposite the Fort, in which is shown some of the River in the direction of Richmond. The Fort was inclosed by a dry ditch, swept by rifle batteries, one of which is delineated in the engraving on the next page. Within the outworks of the Fort was a neat chapel, a burial-ground, and quite a little village of cabins. on Fort Darling. Drewry's Bluff, a squadron of vessels, the squadron consisted of the Virginia (the flag-ship), Fredericksburg, and Rich
his history of the American conflict, Mr. Greeley introduces the fiction with commendable brevity; Mr. Lossing, according to the character and purpose of his work, goes more into detail, and supports himself by a formidable array of marginal references; the authors of Harper's Pictorial history repeat the story with additions, and General Strother, who was on the ground, and who ought to have known, and evidently intended to narrate the facts in his spirited sketch in Harper's Magazine for June, 1866, indorses the general error. In Holland's admirable life of Mr. Lincoln, the story is thus told:-- The government works at Harper's Ferry were blown up and burned by Lieutenant Jones, in command of a company of regulars, moved by the intelligence of an advance of a large confederate force. Mr. Secretary Cameron, whose forgetfulness, as will be shown, is very extraordinary, in his official report at the extra session of Congress in 1861 uses the following language:-- In this connect
This photograph presents another aspect of the gigantic system whereby the Union cavalry became organized and equipped so as to prove irresistible after 1863. In the fiscal year 1864 the Union Government bought and captured nearly 210,000 horses. The army in the field required about 500 new horses every day. Sheridan's force alone required 150 new horses a day during the Shenandoah campaign. At Giesboro, the big remount depot near Washington, they handled 170,622 horses in 1864, and in June, 1866, they had only 32 left. This was exclusive of 12,000 or 13,000 artillery horses handled at the same depot. All these animals had to be shod. This photograph shows some of the men who did it, with the implements of their trade. The army in the field kept this army at home busy supplying its manifold needs. The Southerners' only array of men was at the front. At home, they had only an army of women, knitting, weaving, and sewing for the ragged soldiers in the field. The men wholesale
1 2 3