Browsing named entities in The Daily Dispatch: September 11, 1863., [Electronic resource]. You can also browse the collection for April, 9 AD or search for April, 9 AD in all documents.

Your search returned 2 results in 2 document sections:

New York and Baltimore papers of Monday, the 7th inst., have been received. They do not contain much news of interest save that from Europe, which is given in another column. The latest dates from Charleston are to the 4th. A dispatch from Fortress Monroe says: The United States dispatch steamer Oleander just arrived, from off Charleston Sept. 4, reports "Sumter perfectly demolished," but the rebel flag still flying. Gen. Gillmore dug out and captured 75 men from their rifle pits in front of Fort Wagner last Tuesday. Everything is progressing favorably. A letter from Morris Island, dated August 30, states that deserters, several of whom reach our lines every day, represent that the people of Charleston are anxious to surrender the city, but Beauregard is determined to devote it to destruction. The shelling process caused general surprise, Beauregard having pledged his reputation that it was an impossibility, and mere Yankee bravado. It has been
Charged with Felony. --John J. Phelps was yesterday charged before Recorder Caskie with stealing a horse and selling the same to a negro man named Frank Johnston. After the horse was sold and paid for Frank suspected something was wrong, and carried him to Thomas W. Keesee, auctioneer, to have him sold again. Mr. Keesee testified that on the 4th of September he sold the horse for Frank; that before selling he made some inquiries about the animal, and, ascertaining the cheap price at which he had been purchased, thought it must have been stolen. He, however, sold him to a man named Peake for a little over $300. Learning afterwards that a gentleman in Petersburg named Moore claimed it, he telegraphed to that city for him to come over, which he did, and identified the horse as his own. The money which had been paid Frank as the proceeds of the auction sale was then refunded to Mr. Peake, and Mr. Moore took possession of his property. The Recorder sent the case on to the next ter