Browsing named entities in Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 7. (ed. Frank Moore). You can also browse the collection for Ames or search for Ames in all documents.

Your search returned 10 results in 4 document sections:

ders. In addition, two small brigades of picked infantry, under General Ames, of the Eleventh corps, and Gen. Russell, of the Sixth corps, wend food from both places, by the Orange and Alexandria Railroad. General Ames's infantry moved Saturday evening to the Spotted Tavern, and on e, Gen. Buford's column left Warrenton Junction, and followed by General Ames from Bealeton, bivouacked for the night near the Bowen mansion, d now came up to the support of the Illinois and Indiana troops. Gen. Ames also brought his infantry over, and deploy. ed them on the left kirmishers of each party would frequently become very annoying. General Ames formed his skirmish line, and they picked off the rebel officersfore unknown in cavalry fighting. At one time, on the left of General Ames's brigade, the rebel cavalry skirmishers had advanced and conceaction was being effected with Gregg's column on the left, Buford and Ames were pushing out on the right, and, with Vincent's battery, Buford h
e honor to report that, in accordance with instructions received from me, Colonel Leib, commanding Ninth Louisiana A. D., made a reconnoissance in the direction of Richmond on June sixth, starting from Milliken's Bend at two o'clock A. M. He was preceded by two companies of the Tenth Illinois cavalry, commanded by Captain Anderson, whom he overtook three miles from the Bend. It was agreed between them that the Captain should take the left side of Walnut Bayou, and pursue it as far as Mrs. Ames's plantation, while Colonel Leib proceeded along the main Richmond road to the railroad depot, three miles from Richmond, where he encountered the enemy's pickets and advance, which he drove in with but little opposition, but anticipating the enemy in strong force, retired slowly toward the bend. When about half-way back a squad of our cavalry came dashing up in his rear, hotly pursued by the enemy. Colonel Leib immediately formed his regiment across an open field, and with one volley
nly record some incidents in connection with them, omitted in the haste of the moment in my previous reports. After fighting for an hour the town was fully occupied, and the enemy fell back to the crest of the hill, one and a half miles west of the town. The streets picketed by the enemy were barricaded, and the troops were disposed of outside of town so as to resist an attack. In clearing the outskirts of the town of skirmishers, the One Hundred and Fifty-seventh New-York infantry, of General Ames's brigade, (Eleventh corps,) rendered material assistance. Upon entering the town, the hearts of our troops were made glad by finding between thirty and forty Union soldiers who had been missing since the Monday before, a majority of whom were supposed to be dead. A few were wounded; all had been concealed by citizens, and had been treated well. Captain Snyder, reported killed, was found wounded at the Franklin Hotel, carefully attended by a bevy of lovely damsels. The ball entered at
Since then no Indians have appeared, and nothing relating to this regiment occurred to add to the above. In concluding this report, supplementary to that made on the twenty-fifth ultimo, I beg leave to add a few things, of a more general nature, relating to the regiment I have the honor to command. The health of the regiment, during the long march from Camp Pope, has been remarkably good. There have been but two cases of serious illness, both convalescent. Surgeon Smith and Assistant-Surgeon Ames have been assiduous and skilful in their attention to the medical wants and the general sanitary condition of the regiment. Adjutant Trader and Quartermaster Cutter have been laborious in their duties. During the first three weeks of the march Lieutenant F. H. Pratt was acting Quartermaster, and gave the fullest satisfaction in that position. Captain Light, who remained at Camp Atchinson, has been faithful in his ministrations. The non-commissioned staff has been every way ef