Browsing named entities in The Daily Dispatch: May 26, 1864., [Electronic resource]. You can also browse the collection for Charles Anderson or search for Charles Anderson in all documents.

Your search returned 3 results in 2 document sections:

wo killed and wounded. This brigade is composed of the 17th, 18th, 22d, and 25th South Caroline regiments, all of which are equally entitled to credit for gallantry on the occasion. From General Lee's army. From Hanover Junction we learn that no general engagement has yet taken place.--On Monday evening, as stated yesterday, Warren's Corps assaulted General A. P. Hill's lines, and were checked. On Thursday there was heavy skirmishing all day, and about nightfall the enemy assaulted Anderson's division, commanded by Brigades General Mahone, who repulsed them. Then, in turn, Mahone charged the enemy, driving them back, capturing, a number of prisoners, among them (says our informant) on "A. A. G." to Burnside and a Quarter master. With the exception of a little cannonading in front, all was quiet up to 1 o'clock yesterday, at which hour the train left Taylorville for Richmond. The following official dispatch was received yesterday morning: Taylorsville, May 24
The Daily Dispatch: May 26, 1864., [Electronic resource], The facts about the capture of Fort Pillow. (search)
ouraging fire brave by his own noble daring, and applying the sabre to any who dared to shrink or stop to plunder. In a few minutes' time the whole command was safe under the guns within forty yards of the fort. In the meantime, Major Charles Anderson, A. D. C., with the and four companies, had been seat south of the fort, on the bank of the Mississippi river, to prevent the gunboats landing reinforcements, or any escape from the fort by means of a large coal barge which lay at the wahe guns of the fort, and could allow no chance for reinforcements or decept on. He gave them twenty minutes, which was all that be could allow, us transports with troops were then in sight. One boat did attempt to had pending the parley, but Major Anderson, who had been wisely placed on the bank to prevent it, sent them steaming up the river. Upon the return of the flag of truce General Forrest sounded the bugle to charge, and in twenty-five minutes the last gun was fired, and the fort was