Your search returned 26 results in 6 document sections:

n; which teams almost entirely disappeared immediately after the construction of railroads, and the inns did not long afterwards flourish. Besides innkeepers, the County Court licensed others to sell intoxicating liquors by retail. Among the names of such retailers, in addition to those who have already been mentioned, the following appear during the first century:— John Stedman, 1653-1686. William Manning, 1654-1686. Edmund Angier, 1674-1686. Samuel Andrew, 1684-1691. William Andrew, 1701. Mrs. Seeth Andrew, 1702-1703. Zachariah Hicks, 1704-1717. Martha Remington, 1705-1712. Jonathan Remington, 1713-1735. Nathaniel Hancock, Jr., 1707-1709. Mary Bordman, 1708-1714. John Stedman, 1717-1724. Sarah Fessenden, 1720-1735. Mary Oliver, 1731-1732. Edward Marrett, 1733-1735. Two of these retailers in their old age found it necessary to appeal to the County Court for relief; their petitions are still preserved on file, to wit:— To the hon
o was buried 6 Nov. 1644, was probably of the same family. His w. Elizabeth d. 2 Oct. 1653, and he m. Reana, wid. of William Andrew, 2 May 1654. de d. 6 July 1655, and his wid. Reana m. Elder Frost, whom also she survived. 2. Joseph, s. of Rober it came short, and if an overplus be, that to remain in the hands of Mr. Benjamin. The land was accordingly sold to William Andrew, and the sale confirmed by the Court, 6 Mar. 1637-8. At the Quarterly Court, 4 June 1639. Mr. Benjamin gave in the a), m. Ruth, dau. of John Green, and granddaughter of Edward Mitchelson, 18 Nov. 1685; she d. and he m. Seeth, wid. of William Andrew, 26 June 1704. His chil. were Ruth, b. 11 Aug. 1686, d. 17 July 1687; Zechariah, b. 11 Feb. 1688-9, d. young; Eliza708, and had Martha, b. 22 Ap. d. 25 July 1709; Jacob, b. 6 July 1710; John, b. 9 Mar. 1711-12; Jonathan,b. 11 Dec. 1714; Andrew, b. 5 Jan. 1716-17, d. unm. in the almshouse, 26 Feb. 1806; Tabitha, bap. 8 Mar. 1718-19, m. William Howe, pub. 24 Aug.
niel, Robert, was an early inhabitant of Cambridge. About 1638 he purchased of Thomas Blodgett a house and land, on the westerly side of Garden Street, which he sold about 1645 to Nicholas Wyeth. By his w. Elizabeth he had Elizabeth, b.——m. Thomas Fanning 17 May 1653; Samuel; Joseph; Sarah; Mary, b. 2 Sept. 1642. These children are named in the father's will; Thomas, who was buried 6 Nov. 1644, was probably of the same family. His w. Elizabeth d. 2 Oct. 1653, and he m. Reana, wid. of William Andrew, 2 May 1654. de d. 6 July 1655, and his wid. Reana m. Elder Frost, whom also she survived. 2. Joseph, s. of Robert (1), purchased of David Fiske 12 Dec. 1660 a house and land on the northerly side of Linnaean Street, being the southeasterly corner of the present Botanic Garden. Before 28 May 1662 he had removed to Medfield. There is no record here of his family. 3. Richard, of Edmonton, England, gentleman, was in New England 12 Nov. 1669, and purchased the farm in Billerica, 700
John Bridge, and 25 acres of Dolor Davis. all on the south side of the River, at or near the present S. W. corner of Brighton District. He d. shortly afterwards. Under date of 19 Sept. 1637, the General Court ordered, that Mr. Joseph Weld and Mr. John Benjamin (being authorized), should make sale of Mr. Gurling's land, for satisfaction of the creditors, in proportion if it came short, and if an overplus be, that to remain in the hands of Mr. Benjamin. The land was accordingly sold to William Andrew, and the sale confirmed by the Court, 6 Mar. 1637-8. At the Quarterly Court, 4 June 1639. Mr. Benjamin gave in the account of Richard Gurling, whereby four shillings only appeareth remaining due to widow Gurling. It is not known whether any children survived. Mr. Girling was probably the same who was Master of the ship Hope of Ipswich, in 1634, in which Shepard embarked, with his friends, for New England, but was driven back, and narrowly escaped destruction. Shepard says, The master
1676. Zechariah the f. d. 5 Aug. 1702, a. 73; his w. Elizabeth d. 12 Sept. 1730, a. 93. 2. Zechariah, s. of Zechariah (1), m. Ruth, dau. of John Green, and granddaughter of Edward Mitchelson, 18 Nov. 1685; she d. and he m. Seeth, wid. of William Andrew, 26 June 1704. His chil. were Ruth, b. 11 Aug. 1686, d. 17 July 1687; Zechariah, b. 11 Feb. 1688-9, d. young; Elizabeth, b. about 1692, m. Ebenezer Fisher of Boston 19 Oct. 1716; Margaret, b. about 1694, m. Deac. Samuel Whittemore 13 Oct. ndchildren, Mary and Sarah, children of his deceased dau. Mary Snow. 7. John, s. of Jacob (4), m. Anna Remington 24 June 1708, and had Martha, b. 22 Ap. d. 25 July 1709; Jacob, b. 6 July 1710; John, b. 9 Mar. 1711-12; Jonathan,b. 11 Dec. 1714; Andrew, b. 5 Jan. 1716-17, d. unm. in the almshouse, 26 Feb. 1806; Tabitha, bap. 8 Mar. 1718-19, m. William Howe, pub. 24 Aug. 1744. John the f. was a cordwainer, and res. on the Judge Trowbridge place, on the northerly side of Mount Auburn Street, be
1841. (See Cutter Book, 236, 394.) Anderson, John, of Boston, and Wid. Hannah Smith of Lexington, m. 31 Jan. 1828. Andrew, Mary—at Capt. Whittemore's—d. 7 Dec. 1756. Prob. Mary, dau. of William Andrew of Camb. and living unm. in 1753 (see PaWilliam Andrew of Camb. and living unm. in 1753 (see Paige, 480). Andrews, Thomas, d. 15 Mar. 1801,a. 53. Elizabeth, d. 17 Aug. 1807, a. 55. Joseph E. had w. Sarah, and chil. Sarah Williams, Joseph Ellis and George Frederick baptized W. Camb., 7 Aug. 1836. Sarah, w. of Joseph E., d. 8 Sept. 1836, llebrown, 25 Dec. 1746. Elizabeth m. Andrew Brown of 2d Reg't, 13 Dec. 1775. Elizabeth m. John Brown, 13-15 May, 1776. Andrew and w. Mary were adm. to the Second Prec't Church, 1 Mar. 1778. See Paige. Bodge. See Budge. Boutell, John, of Cha1754, a. 6 yrs. John m. Elizabeth Boardman, 13 or 15 May, 1776 (see Paige, 503). Susanna m. Stephen Frost, 20 Dec. 1772. Andrew, of Second Regt., m. Elizabeth Boardman, 13 Dec. 1775. Hannah m. Thomas Fillebrown, 1 Dec. 1778. Miriam m. Richard Cutt