hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 10. (ed. Frank Moore) 11 1 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Browsing named entities in Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 10. (ed. Frank Moore). You can also browse the collection for Charles S. Arnold or search for Charles S. Arnold in all documents.

Your search returned 6 results in 4 document sections:

not advance. I sustained no loss in either killed, wounded, or missing. I would, however, here remark that I have never seen the officers and men of my regiment behave with more gallantry and with cooler courage, seemingly having determined to conquer or die. Respectfully, James R. Edmondson, Lieutenant-Colonel, commanding Twenty-Seventh Regiment Virginia Volunteers. Report of Major William Terry. headquarters Fourth regiment Virginia volunteers, December 23, 1862. Captain Charles S. Arnold, A. A. A. General Paxton's Brigade: Sir: On the twelfth instant the Fourth regiment Virginia volunteers left camp, five miles north-west of Guineas Station, and moved in the direction of Fredericksburg, arriving at Hamilton's Crossing before noon, remaining near there some hours. Early in the afternoon the regiment, with the brigade, moved forward, and was put in position in rear of a portion of A. P. Hill's division, in the woods west of the railroad, and to the right of the
e left of the ravine, and began to shell the Indians at the head of the ravine and about the Big Mound. Captain Edgerton's company of the Tenth supported the the six-pounder. The Sixth regiment was deployed on the foot hills in front of its line, to the north and northeast of camp. Captain Bank's company of the Seventh, on the right of the Sixth regiment. Lieutenant-Colonel Marshall, with the remaining five companies of the Seventh regiment, Captains Kennedy, Williston, Hall, Carter, and Arnold advanced up the ravine towards the Big Mound, and deployed on the left of the dismounted cavalry and Major Bradley's line. The artillery, under the immediate direction of the General, drove the Indians out from the head of the ravine and from about the Big Mound. They fell back to the table land east of the mound, and into the broken ridges and ravines southward. They had come from that quarter, their camp being found around the hill, about five miles from our camp. The shelling they
ut half past 12 P. M., July twenty-first, 1861. The brigade now consisted of the First Michigan, Eleventh New York, (Fire Zouaves), Thirty-eighth New York, and Arnold's battery. The Fourth Michigan had been left at Fairfax Station and Fairfax Court-House by order of General McDowell. Halting for rest and water, I obeyed the General's orders to post Arnold's battery on a hill commanding the ford, with the First Michigan for support, and at one o'clock pushed forward with my two remaining regiments up the Sudley and Brentville road. We marched about two miles, and came up on the left of what I supposed to have been Franklin's line, near the junction ofrther into the enemy's lines than any other of our troops, as their dead bodies proved after the battle. I only regret that from the fact of my separation from Arnold's battery I cannot add any testimony of my own to the well-known gallantry with which he and his command conducted themselves. I have the honor to be, General,
he infantry to come up, finally went for them himself, ordering me to hold the position until their arrival. In obeying this order, our loss was about one-fourth of the command, including several officers. Nearly every colonel of the brigade had a horse shot under him. Although the highest praise is due to all the gallant men engaged in this (for cavalry) remarkable fight, I must not omit mentioning particularly Colonel Goode, of the Tenth Confederate cavalry, whose horse was shot, and Captain Arnold, Sixteenth battalion Tennessee cavalry, who was badly wounded. Our next engagement with the enemy was with Colonel Minty's brigade mounted infantry, being a part of the rear-guard of General Rosecrans' army. After driving his skirmishers for more than a mile, we found him strongly posted on Missionary Ridge. We drove him from one fine position, but were unable to dislodge him from the summit; from which, however, he retired during the night. In holding the ground gained, my command w