Your search returned 10 results in 4 document sections:

of Milton Williams, near the corner of Broad and Mayo streets, which resulted in the stabbing of the former, whose injuries terminated fatally next morning. The murderer fled, and has not yet been arrested. The fact was made known to acting Coroner Sauxay, who held an inquest on Christmas day, and the jury returned a verdict that Robert's death was caused by a stab in the left side, inflicted by Sidney Robinson. On Tuesday night, two free colored boys, named Beverly Randolph and John Henry Ashby, apprentices to Robert Francis, barber, got into a playful controversy about a knife, which the former had in the shop, where they were employed, on Main street, below 17th. Beverly first rapped John on the head with the knife, but this had no effect, and finally he thrust it into his left side, whether intentionally or by accident, must be determined hereafter. The boys were good friends, and had no previous misunderstanding. John died the next morning, and Beverly has since been ta
Charge of Homicide. --A free boy of color named Beverly Randolph, was arraigned before the Mayor on Saturday, upon a charge of killing a fellow-apprentice, named John Henry Ashby, at the barber shop of Robert Francis, on Main street, below 17th. Robert Francis testified that on Christmas Eve Beverly was waiting upon a customer, when John asked him for a knife, and he soon afterward learned that John was stabbed. Beverly said he did not do it intentionally, and was only "projecting" (i. e., playing) with John. This was about half-past 10 o'clock on Tuesday night, and the boy died on Thursday morning, between 1 and 2. Wm. Phillips testified that he was in the barber-shop on Tuesday night, and Beverly was waiting upon him. John asked Beverly for a knife, and the latter replied that it was "up yonder; don't be fooling with me." Another boy pointed to where the knife lay, and John reached up for it; but Beverly got hold of it, and the other tried to take it from him Beverl
and leaden balls." were arraigned for examination, Messrs. W. W. Crump and Edward Y. Cannon appearing as counsel. The Court, after hearing the evidence, discharged Sheridan from further prosecution, and remanded Slater for final trial. Joseph Keller, charged with breaking into the drug more of Dove & Co. and stealing $5.56 and $3.40 worth of postage stamps, on the 15th day of December, was examined and remanded for final trial. Henry, a slave, the property of Bernard Peyton; Ephraim, the property of Harriet Kellum; and Jack, the property of J. H. F. Mayo, were tried for stealing a trunk containing money and clothing belonging to Peter H. Anderson. Jack was convicted and sentenced to receive nine and thirty lashes, and the others were discharged. Beverly Randolph, a free negro, charged with the murder of a fellow-apprentice named John Henry Ashby, was tried and acquitted. No other business of importance was transacted. The Court meets again to-day at 11 o'clock.
d to the left for the purpose of charging their batteries which the enemy no sooner saw, when they spiked their two batteries, and run helter-skelter, through the town and down the road to the Maryland shore, a distance of six miles, a portion of Ashby's cavalry in hot pursuit, and the infantry and artillery following rapidly after; but so swift-footed were their movements, that our cavalry did not reach them until they got to the banks of the Potomac, where they had got in ambush, and as our cRailroad directly in front of us, half a mile distant, with the pretty little town of Hancock on the opposite shore, in Maryland, where the enemy in considerable force were quartered. Gen. Jackson, early in the morning, sent a flag of truce by Col. Ashby, to the authorities of the town, notifying the inhabitants to vacate the place, as he intended to bombard it, and gave them two hours to do so. Our batteries were then placed in position, the remainder of the force being still in the rear, exce