hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 5. (ed. Frank Moore) 5 1 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 5 results in 3 document sections:

entieth New-York, known as Max Weber's regiment, who pushed on immediately, under command of Gen. Weber, and were at eight o'clock in the morning picketed within five miles of Norfolk. The First Delaware, Colonel Andrews, pushed forward at nine o'clock, accompanied by Gen. Mansfield and Gen. Viele and staff. They were soon followed by the Sixteenth Massachusetts, Col. Wyman. The remainder of the expedition consists of the Tenth New-York, Col. Bendix; the Fifty-eighth Pennsylvania, Colonel Bailey; the Ninety-ninth New-York, Coast Guards; Major Dodge's battalion of mounted rifles and Capt. Follett's company (D) of the Fourth regular artillery. Gen. Wool and staff remained to superintend the landing of the remainder of the force, all of whom were landed and off before noon. The President, accompanied by Secretary Stanton, accompanied Gen. Wool and staff to the wharf, and then took a tug and proceeded to the Minnesota, where the President was received by a national salute. It is
n the right, where the aid was captured, I supposed his chief must be there. Furthermore, the country was more open in that direction, and the road in front of Casey's position was bad for artillery. I concluded, therefore, in spite of the shots, that if attacked that day, the attack would come from the right. Having sent orders for the troops to be under arms precisely at eleven o'clock A. M., I mounted my horse and rode along theNine-mile road to Fair Oaks Station. On my way I met Col. Bailey, Chief of Artillery of Casey's division, and directed him to proceed and prepare his artillery for action. Finding nothing unusual at Fair Oaks, I gave some orders to the troops there, and returned quickly to Seven Pines. The firing was becoming brisk, but there was yet no certainty of a great attack. As a precaution, to support Casey's left flank, I ordered Gen. Couch to advance Peck's brigade in that direction. This was promptly done, and the Ninety-third Pennsylvania, Col. McCart
r-General; Capt. J. A. Campbell, Assistant Adjutant-General; Capt. W. T. Hoblitzell, Aid-de-Camp; Lieut. S. W. Davies, Aid-de-Camp; Lieut. S. M. Hosea, Aid-de Camp; Major Caleb Bates, volunteer Aid-de-Camp; Captain N. H. Fisher, volunteer Aid-de-Camp; Captain James P. Collier, volunteer Aid-de-Camp, I return my thanks for their conspicuous gallantry and intelligence on the field of battle. Lieut.-Colonel Bomford was wounded twice, while posting a regiment in line. My orderlies, privates Isaac Bailey, Second Indiana cavalry; George Richardson, Thirty-fourth Illinois infantry; Avery Graham, Thirty-fourth Illinois infantry; Henry Kline, First Ohio battery; George P. Jenniss, Thirty-fourth Illinois infantry; Wm. Edwards, Second Indiana cavalry, and Henry Knowles, Second Indiana cavalry, behaved with coolness and bravery on the field, and are recommended to their superiors for promotion. To Surgeon George D. Beebe, Medical Director of my corps, my thanks are due for his good condu