Your search returned 20 results in 9 document sections:

of rebel cavalry under General John H. Morgan, resulting in the capture of the entire National force. The rebels then dashed into Lexington, capturing the provost-guard, and without stopping any length of time, moved off in the direction of Versailles, Kentucky. By this operation General Morgan secured about three hundred and fifty horses, with their equipments, as many prisoners, and the arms and accoutrements of the men. He paroled the prisoners. Ten of Porter's rebel guerrillas, Willis Baker, Thomas Humston, Morgan Bixler, John Y. McPheeters, Herbert Hudson, John M. Wade, Marion Sair, Captain Thomas A. Snider, Eleazer Lake, and Hiram Smith, held as hostages by order of General McNeil, for the safe return of Andrew Allsman, an aged citizen of Palmyra, Mo., who had been carried off by the guerrillas, were publicly shot this day.--(Doc. 10.) Nine Union pickets were fired upon and killed by rebel guerrillas at a point on the Mississippi opposite Helena, Ark.--A supply trai
n the details of this transaction. The tenth day expired with last Friday. On that day ten rebel prisoners, already in custody, were selected to pay with their lives the penalty demanded. The names of the men so selected were as follows: Willis Baker, Lewis County; Thos. Humston, Lewis County; Morgan Bixler, Lewis County; John Y. McPheeters, Lewis County; Herbert Hudson, Ralls County; John M. Wade, Ralls County; Marion Lair, Ralls County; Captain Thos. A. Snider, Monroe County; Eleazer Lak beautiful hair rolled down upon his shoulders, which, with his fine personal appearance, could not but bring to mind the handsome but vicious Absalom. There was nothing especially worthy of note in the appearance of the others. One of them, Willis Baker of Lewis County, was proven to be the man who last year shot and killed Mr. Ezekiel Pratte, his Union neighbor, near Williamstown, in that county. All the others were rebels of lesser note, the particulars of whose crimes we are not familiar
, charged the enemy's line and artillery, and drove them from the field. To mention names where all, both officers and men, did their duty so well and so nobly, may seem, I fear, invidious. Yet I feel that I ought to say to Captain Crawford, who commanded the battalion that made the charge upon and captured the rebel battery, great credit is due for his gallantry; and the names of Capts. Ayres, Russell, Hopkins, and Gardner, and Lieuts. Moore, Cosgrove, Ballard, Lee, and Johnson, and Sergeant Baker, all of whom commanded companies, are worthy of especial and honorable mention. Lieut. Stover proved himself not only a gallant officer but a good artillerist, abundantly shown by the effect produced by his little howitzers. Lieut.-Col. Bassett also demonstrated his gallantry and ability as an officer upon the field. The officers and men of the other regiments were disappointed at not being in time to take a part in the conflict, and only failed to distinguish themselves for want of
h of August. On our way to points on the Mississippi and along the frontier, we were treated with much kindness by the remaining citizens, especially at Clearwater. We went from Forest City to Hutchinson and Glencoe. Along this route we found the country almost entirely deserted. To encourage those still remaining and also to attract to their homes those who had left, we returned to Hutchinson, and from thence on the second of October we went to Acton. We there camped in the yard of Mr. Baker, the first victim of the outbreak. During the night Messrs. Branham, Holmes, and Sparry came through from Forest City to inform us that the home guards of that place had been attacked by a large body of Indians, the day before. We shall ever feel under great obligation to these brave men, who, for our sakes, made such a daring journey through that dark night. Early in the morning we took up our march toward Hutchinson. When out about one and a half miles, our advance scouts returned, i
Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 6. (ed. Frank Moore), Doc. 37.-the affair at Haymarket, Va. (search)
ieces, (twelve-pounders,) under command of Lieut. Betts, drawn up on a hill, to the extreme left, a determined stand was resolved upon. Scarcely had these dispositions been made when a small body of cavalry, supposed to be the advance-guard, was discovered advancing up to the turnpike, about three quarters of a mile distant. Lieut. Betts was ordered to open on them; and, after several rounds were fired, they concluded to advance no further, but retreated. The cavalry were then ordered to charge, but night coming on they were prevented from following up the retreat to a very great distance. Their force is reported by citizens who saw them, at fifteen hundred cavalry and six pieces of artillery. Their loss in the skirmish beyond the town was one killed and six wounded. Our loss none. Captain Randolph of company H, also Lieut. Tidwell, of company A, Lieut. Baker, of company D, and Lieut. Betts, of the artillery, conducted themselves most gallantly throughout the whole affair.
nced, numerous rebel wagons, loaded with forage and army stores, were overtaken and their contents captured. The rebels attempted to empty the wagons and escape with them, but in this they were frustrated. Our troops next reached a gorge heavily wooded on both sides, a creek running through the centre, and a bridge crossing the creek. The bridge was prepared in such a manner that, after the retreat of the rebel troops over it, it could be destroyed before our troops could get over it. Colonel Baker, the rebel officer who had charge of the destruction of this bridge, did it skilfully after his retreating troops had passed it. The last rebel crossing this bridge sprung a trap, and the bridge was rendered untenable. On the opposite side of the river the rebels had a splendid redoubt, with just room enough for one horse to enter at a time. From this work the rebels opened a brisk fire of musketry on our troops, which fire was as promptly returned by ours. At the first fire of the re
on this side the the river. Late in the evening, when the excitement caused by the gunboats had in a great measure subsided, the rattle of small arms and the galloping of horses announced the arrival of the Yankee cavalry. There was at this time about thirty of Baxter's battalion in town; about sixteen of them were quietly finding their horses and getting supper at their barracks on Maine street; the balance were scattered over town. At the first alarm, these sixteen men got into line, Baker (Baxter being absent) telling them to stand firm, that it took more than one Yankee to stampede his men. The advance-guard of the Yankees, about sixty men, charged upon these sixteen men; our boys gave a yell, and galloped to meet them; the Yankees turned and fled as fast as their horses could carry them; our boys pursued them back a mile, until they met the main body of the enemy, consisting of the Tenth Missouri, Fifth Ohio, two battalions of Illinois, one company of Mississippi and one of
d disembarking the troops, without accident or trouble, on the thirtieth. The David Tatum, being nearly wrecked by the storm, only obtained seventy-five cattle, which were delivered to General Logan's division on the thirtieth. The summary of the trip of sixteen days is as follows: Two thousand three hundred and eighty bales of cotton--2209 to Captain Reno; 171 to Captain Kluick. Seven hundred and five beef cattle--350 to Chief Commandant of the Seventeenth army corps; 140 to Captain Baker, Thirteenth army corps; 140 to Captain Strickle, Fifteenth army corps; 75 to Commissary of General Logan's division. One hundred mules-Captain Kluick, Seventeenth army corps. I have to thank all concerned for energy and good conduct. The cotton obtained was principally C. S. A. cotton, so branded, and was pledged in London for confederate bonds. During our stay the confederates burned about five thousand bales in our vicinity. There still remain two thousand bales C. S. A.
The Daily Dispatch: November 17, 1862., [Electronic resource], A Bloody Leaf in the history of this War--ten lives for one. (search)
the premises — Many rebels believed the whole thing was simply intended as a scare — declaring that McNeil did not dare (?) to carry out the threat. The ten days elapsed, and no tidings came of Allsman. It is not our intention to dwell at length upon the details of this transaction. The tenth day expired with last Friday. On that day ten rebel prisoners, already in custody, were selected to pay with their lives the penalty demanded. The names of the men selected were as follows: Willis Baker, Lewis county; Thos. Numston, Lewis county; Morgan Dixler, Lewis county; Herbert Hudeen, Ralls county; Jno. M. Wade, Ralls county; Marion Lair, Ralls county; Captain Thomas A Suider, Monroe county; Eleanor Lake, Scotland county; Miram Smith, Knox county. These parties were informed on Friday evening that unless Mr. Allsman was returned to his family by 1 o'clock on the following day, they would all be shot at that hour. Most of them received the announcement with composure or indiff