hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Historic leaves, volume 3, April, 1904 - January, 1905 4 0 Browse Search
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 7. 4 0 Browse Search
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 15. 2 0 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 10 results in 4 document sections:

Historic leaves, volume 3, April, 1904 - January, 1905, Historical Sketch of the old Middlesex canal. (search)
and on through to Mystic pond, crossing the narrow upper arm of the pond over a stone aqueduct. The bed of the canal is plainly visible here, and it is hoped the bed will remain untouched while the March of Progress is still moving on, converting the shores of Mystic pond into a beautiful boulevard. For something over a mile the canal lay within the grounds of the Brooks estate in West Medford. Here stands a beautiful monument, that of the handsome elliptical stone arch, built by George Rumford Baldwin, son of Loammi Baldwin, to convey a farm road over the canal, and considered by engineers to be one of the most graceful structures of the sort in New England. It is plainly visible as one is journeying along by the Brooks farm in the electric cars. The line of the old canal is where Boston avenue is now situated, passing through Gibson's lock and the aqueduct over the Mystic river, at a point where the new stone bridge now is, then turning to the east the canal passed under the
athan, 69. Adams, Rebecca, 89. Adams, Samuel, 40. Adams, Thomas, 89. Aldersey Street, Somerville, 71. Alewife Brook, 31. Alewife Brook District, 15, 87. Alewife Meadow, 54. Allerdale, Lords of, 49. Allerdale Ward, 49 Ames, Governor, Oliver, 31. Anderson, Mistress, Rebecca, 18. Andover, Mass., 68. Andros, Governor, 31. Ann Street, Boston, 4. Arbella, The, 29. Arlington, Mass., 15, 38, 56, 74, 87. Ash Street, Boston, 51. Austin Street, Somerville, 3. Baldwin, George Rumford, 3. Baldwin, Loammi, 2, 3. Barrett, Samuel, Jr., 11. Bartlett, Hon., Josiah, M. D., 48. Bell Rock, Malden, 58. Big Bethel, 35. Billerica, Mass., 1, 7, 9. Bishop of London, 18. Blackstone, Lone Settler of Boston, 30. Blackstone Street, Boston, 4. Blessing of the Bay, The, 33. Booth, Dr. E. C., 20, 89, 92. Boston Avenue, Somerville, 3. Boston Gazette, 65. Boston & Lowell Railroad, 8. Boston & Maine Railroad, 10. Botanic Gardens, Cambridge, 75. Bo
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 7., An eighteenth century enterprise. (search)
were known as accommodation bridges. A notable exception to the general construction was and is the one near High street at West Medford. This was built at Mr. Peter C. Brooks' expense, at about 1820. The engineer who designed it was George Rumford Baldwin (son of Col. B.), and it is a fitting monument to his skill, as well as a gravestone to mark where the highway of the waters is buried. The towpath in summer became a favorite walk out from Boston and from the several villages, a veritab in the hands of New England men. This question is often asked, what will, or will not the present century develop? Possibly the men of today, could they return at its close, might see as much to surprise them as Gov. Sullivan, his son, or Col. Baldwin would, if they could be transported in a canal boat some evening into Charlestown at Sullivan square. Town Records, Vol. 1, Page 1. Upon the 14 of [ ]At a generall meeting of [ ] Selectmen & Jnhabitants of meadford it was then agreed by
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 15., The passing of a Medford estate. (search)
t was demolished in 1865, after the building of the stone house on the hill top. Just across the road was the home of Rev. Edward Brooks, who rode away in his full bottomed wig, and gun in hand followed the British troops on the eventful morning of the first Patriots' Day. This has also gone, probably after his son Peter C., built the present mansion. In improving his estate he erected, in 1820, a granite arch spanning the canal, at a cost of a thousand dollars. Its architect was George Rumford Baldwin, who had just attained his majority, and this was one of his earliest works. The name of the builder is unknown, but it is related that fifty years afterward he came and viewed with pleasure and satisfaction the work of his younger days. The granite composing it was boated from Concord, N. H., down the Merrimac and the canal. For a little over thirty years its graceful curves were reflected in the placid waters till the canal was abandoned, killed by the rival railroad. Three y