hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 20. 4 0 Browse Search
Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 35. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones) 2 0 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 6 results in 3 document sections:

Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 35. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones), Roster of the companies. (search)
Green River Bridge, July 4, 1863. Sergeants—First, Joel Tandy Quisenberry; second, John David Reid; third, John Doyle, died of camp fever, November 25, 1863. Corporals—First, Wm. A. Tolliver; second, Josephus Oliver; third, Robert Quisenberry; fourth, Ellis G. Baxter. Teamster—Joe R. Ackerson. Privates—Richard Ackerson, Thos. Baber, died of camp fever, October 10, 1862; Pleasant Baber, Stanley Baber, Allen Brock, Wm. Brock, Clifton Busch, John W. Baldwin, W. W. Baldwin, Sr., Samuel Baldwin, Henry Brown, Hardin Brown, Luke Baxter, Thomas Callicutt, died in Camp Douglas, November 15, 1863, of smallpox; E. Waller Combs, John Cooper, died in Camp Douglas, March 6, 1864, of smallpox; Wm. Chisholm, Edward Collins, McGowan Cooper, John Collins, Dr. Cummins, Wm. Dixon (or Dickson), Thomas Eads, Wm. Eads, James Freeman, died in Camp Douglas, February 25, 1864, of smallpox; John Glover, David N. Gordon, Ezekiel Hampton, Jesse Hampton, died in Camp Douglas, December 19, 1864, of sma
we quote:— An experiment was made by Engineer Buchanan to ascertain the depth at which the water in the lower pond becomes salt. A copper wire coated with silver was suspended from a float anchored in 54 feet of water. The wire was allowed to remain in the water 24 hours, and was found to be very slightly discolored from 18 or 19 to 21.57 feet below. At 21.57 the corrosion increased for 4 feet, then very rapidly disappeared leaving it bright copper. This agrees with the report of Mr. Baldwin which was at 19.4 below the surface of the pond. By the recent building of the Cradock dam the level of the lower lake has been reduced (and consequently its area, slightly), and as the tides no longer come, the water is no longer salted. That the work of building this dam, with its waste weir, conduits and gate-house was substantially performed is evident even to the casual observer. Though disused since 1897 it is well cared for, and the new lake thus created is kept at the normal h
al suggested a suspension bridge to the highlands of Somerville, but he was ahead of the times. Not until Middlesex avenue was opened, with its bridge across the Mystic, had that peninsular district a direct outlet to Boston, and even then its growth was slow. In the second year of service, April 28, 1848, there were three accidents reported:— April 28 James Gregg, having laid down between the rails on a curve near Medford, was run over by an engine and killed instantly. May 5 Samuel Baldwin, in getting out of the cars at Medford after they had started, was struck by the baggage car and his arm was broken. November 4 James Pratt, Medford, legs broken by collision at Medford Junction. In 1853 Enos Ormsbee and Silas Bumpus of Charlestown, carpenters, walking on the track to Medford, were instantly killed by the 7 3/4 A. M. northern train, the So. Reading train passing at the same time. [This must have been below the junction and not on the branch.] And another, in which