the war, and labored with zeal and energy during the Rebellion, forwarding the supplies contributed by them chiefly to the Boston Branch of the Sanitary Commission.
No record was kept by them of the amount of their labors and offerings.
Incorporated Oct. 20, 1786.
Population in 1860, 764; in 1865, 736.
Valuation in 1860, $294,353; in 1865, $320,834.
The selectmen in 1861 were Russell Carruth, James G. Smith, Joseph H. Whitney; in 1862 and 1863, Courtlon Sanderson, Emory Bates, Thomas Martin; in 1864, Courtlon Sanderson, Edward Powers, James G. Smith; in 1865, Courtlon Sanderson, James G. Smith, John Miller.
The town-clerk in 1861 was T. T. Miller; in 1862, 1863, 1864, and 1865, Thomas Martin.
The town-treasurer in 1861, 1863, 1864, and 1865 was Thomas Martin; in 1862, Jason Goulding.
1861. The first town-meeting to act upon matters relating to the war was held on the 2d of May, at which patriotic resolutions, preceded by a preamble, were presented and a